Sitting up with incision discomfort | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sitting up with incision discomfort Sitting up with incision discomfort

Unread 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Sitting up with incision discomfort

I am three weeks out today from my surgery. I think I am doing well and am so thankful. My incision is what is bothering me. When i wake up in the morning, it feels pretty good for about an hour or so. But as I sit to eat breakfast, pay bills, type on the computer - whatever I do sitting - it begins to feel iritated. My incision is very low - horizontal - with dissolvable stiches - no staples. My belly is tingly/numb. My incision feels prickly and where they shaved is very scratchy and seems to be a part of the problem. It also feels like my incision is pulling some - or tugging. Then my belly buttonstarts aching.

Yesterday I had to take my son to the dentist. After driving 45 minutes there and sitting in the waiting room for an hour, I just couldn't sit any longer. I had to stand up/ walk. The granny panties and the drawstring waist pants were even too much.

From about 5:00 PM on is the worst. It's hard to describe - but it's like I just can't get comfortable. I can't wait to crawl into bed - where it takes me about 30 minutes to get settled. Has anyone else experienced this? When does it get better? Sitting seems to be the worst position for me, yet standing and walking all the time seem unreasonable. Any advice? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM

99... Yes i felt this way too, its the biggest reason i didnt go back to work for more hours than i did to begin with. Im 6 1/2 weeks post op, and just last night i was able to sit, comfortably for a 45 minute drive to a restaurant and have a nice leisurely dinner. At work, I am only work 1/2 days and its mainly because sitting gets uncomfortable. I have heard others mention this too. My abdomen still swells by the end of the day also, and even now i come home from work and lay down for a bit. So... hang in there.. it will get better... your doing great if you were able to take your son to the dentist! I wouldnt have been able to do that at 3 weeks. Its frustrating i know.. but it sounds much like how ive felt.
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percentsure
I am three weeks out today from my surgery. I think I am doing well and am so thankful. My incision is what is bothering me. When i wake up in the morning, it feels pretty good for about an hour or so. But as I sit to eat breakfast, pay bills, type on the computer - whatever I do sitting - it begins to feel iritated. My incision is very low - horizontal - with dissolvable stiches - no staples. My belly is tingly/numb. My incision feels prickly and where they shaved is very scratchy and seems to be a part of the problem. It also feels like my incision is pulling some - or tugging. Then my belly buttonstarts aching.

Yesterday I had to take my son to the dentist. After driving 45 minutes there and sitting in the waiting room for an hour, I just couldn't sit any longer. I had to stand up/ walk. The granny panties and the drawstring waist pants were even too much.

From about 5:00 PM on is the worst. It's hard to describe - but it's like I just can't get comfortable. I can't wait to crawl into bed - where it takes me about 30 minutes to get settled. Has anyone else experienced this? When does it get better? Sitting seems to be the worst position for me, yet standing and walking all the time seem unreasonable. Any advice? Thanks so much!!
What you describe was also my experience..I'm four weeks post-op and what I did was shave the darned hair off and it feels MUCH better...its the hair that was driving me MAD..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM

99, I'm exactly three weeks out today. My recovery has been smooth,
almost easy, no pain for 2 weeks, I'd say I am 80%.
But like you the evenings are not sweet, my stomach swells in the evening, and I want to hit the bed around 5pm, and need it. My belly is itchy and tender and sometimes has a pulling/tugging feeling. I experience the tugging when I've taken on too much. I then relax, 1 hour later my stomach flattens, the tuggings stops.
You are not alone... I think I read from some sole that this was typical..
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies - I did think about shaving the hair, but then thought that i would face it all again as it grew out. Also, the hair is so close to my incision... Don't know if I want to mess with anything near it. I wonder when it will get better......
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM

My hair was prickly for about 5 weeks... didn't know it would take that long to grow out... but it does get better... hang in there
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Hello, I shaved prior to my hysterectomy and feeling good. I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and still feel like a punching bag on my right side. Its so delicate to touch and I go on and off throughout the day with pain. I have taken tylenol and motrin and nothing is working, finally I reverted to using Tylenol with Codinem that settles me for a little bit on pain. I am not looking forward to going back to work either i work 8 hour days and I am going to have to explain why I cant wear jeans to work that will be fun!
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM

I feel the same way. I still struggle with pain while riding in a car. Whenever I sit up I have to recline or it is uncomfortable.

I am just a little over 3 weeks post op. I am glad to hear it gets better.
Unread 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Last week (3 wks post op) I could only sit for a couple of hours at a time, and even then it wasn't all in comfort. Yesterday was 4 wks post op and I've noticed that I can sit for longer periods now without much discomfort. I hadn't thought about the hair being an issue -- might be that but I'm not sure since the dermabond is still holding the scab onto my incision and the skin itself is still pretty numb.
Unread 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM

I am 11 weeks post op from having a tah w/both ovaries removed. My surgery was on jan 9, my doc released me 1/2 days mar 3 until april 1. By the end of the my 4 hour shift of sitting my stomach is so sore & stiff yet. I was so concerned by the pain on my sides and intense pain after working that i went back to doc, he ordered ct scan which came back clear, thank goodnes, but i thought i was losing my mind still being in so much pain. I've had other issues including a huge infected cyst after removing my hormonal patch in one area ( now gone after anitibiotics). I'm tired of people at work asking "shouldn't you be feeling better by now".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register