Questions ~ 4 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions ~ 4 weeks post-op Questions ~ 4 weeks post-op

Unread 03-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Questions ~ 4 weeks post-op

I just hit 4 weeks post op...and though my recovery has gone rather smooth, I do have some questions that I really want "experience" comments on...since my doc is male (and I do love him) he has NO NO NO idea what I'm going through.
Anyhow, any comments will be appreciated:

1. How long was it before you went back to work?

I ask because he released me to go back to work part time after just 2 weeks and full time after 4 weeks.

2. Anybody have back and tailbone pain?

I ask because my lower back feels like I've been lifting weights (which I obviously haven't) and my tailbone feels like its broken. He said it was probably just the way my body was positioned for the surgery but it feels like someone took a bat to it!

3. Anybody have pressure pain in their crotch area?

I ask because if I stand up or walk for more than like 10 minutes, I get this overwhelming pressure in my crotch area. No specific "piece" just pressure everywhere.

Thanks again ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 03:37 AM

Onnie

I'm so glad your recovery is going well!

Hopefully, some ladies will be along soon to share their experiences but, in the meantime, you may wish to try a "search" (click third from the right on the purple bar, towards the top of this page) to read through previous threads/posts on the subjects.

Sending all good wishes!

Unread 03-21-2008, 04:14 AM

Even though we had different types of surgery, I'll share with you my experience.

I didn' go back to work until 6 wks. It was tiring and sore at first, but after week two full-time it feels like normal.

I had a great deal of tailbone pain for the first 2 weeks after surgery, but then it subsided.

I definately experienced pressure in the crotch. This didn't start until a few weeks after surgery. At first I thought maybe it was a UTI, but it wasn't. I tried to stay off my feet - it helped some. I thought that this pressure meant that I had to pee, so I was going to the bathroom constanly. Around week five, I decided to 'train' my bladder to hold the urine longer. Within a week, everything felt and worked much better (the pressure gone and peeing less often). I don't neccesarily recommend that you do this, but this is what worked for me. Also, I was seeing my urologist at the time (to check on preexisting kidney stones) and she was OK with training my bladder.

I hope this helps you some. I'm sure others will tell you their stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 04:58 AM

Onnie,

I had the same surgery as you. Here's what I came up with.

1. I didn't go back to work for 7 1/2 weeks. My surgery was Oct. 17th, and my gyn was going to write me off until after the new year, but I couldn't afford to be off that long. He likes every one to take their time healing.

2. My lower back (right above my bottom) hurt because of the way I walked around for the first couple of weeks.

3. Now, my actual bottom, around my tailbone and stuff, killed me for a few weeks due to the extensive rectal repairs I had.

4. With all the repairs I had, If I stood or walked to long, everything swelled, and I would feel like I had a bulge down there.

I hope this helps you. GL in your recovery, and take it slow.
Unread 03-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Onnie Hello I also had a TVH on 2/20/08.Had bladder surgery at same time .My Dr said not to rush take things as slow as you feel comfy.My lower back pain and pressure in vaginal area seems to get worse if I stay in one position to long.I thought I had a UTI,but it was clear.I always say listen to your Body and what feels best to you.TVH IS STILL MAJOR SURGERY.Good luck to you. Lynn
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Onnie, hi, I had TAH with everything removed on 2-19-08. I can relate to all of your symptoms. Back pain terrible at times, pressure if I am on my feet too long. My GYN is a woman so she can relate to my symptoms. I am scheduled off work for seven wks with final decision made at my 6 wk post-op exam. I hope it helps to know you are not alone. Good luck on your recovery. But, my Dr. advised me, don't rush recovery, you want to give your body time to heal. RJ
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Well, thanks ladies! Those comments helped. I also woke up this morning unable to pee so I called the doc and after a urine test, I have a kidney infection. So, now I'm on antibiotics too.

My husband is certain I need to take all of next week off to rest and heal.
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks ladies. Your information is so helpful. I will be 4 weeks post-op on Tuesday. I had a TVH with bladder and rectal repair. I thought I was doing fine until I woke up last Monday and like some of you were saying after 10 min of standing you would feel pressure and numbness in your tailbone. I hope this gets better soon. My bladder apprears to be getting better. After reading about retraining your bladder. I have been doing that and I am not going as often as I was. I do still have a discharge. Somewhat brownish. Is this normal? Don't have a real bloody show anymore. I am so glad I found this website. It has helped alot.
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Hi Ladies, I am almost 8 months post-op, if you can take another week off, please do, I took off 4 weeks, and then graduated back to full time, looking back, I would have taken off 6 weeks, then worked back into full time. As far as symptoms, I had alot of pelvic pressure for 4-6 weeks, back pain wasn't really a problem, but I had a TAH with complications (internal bleeding - which necessitated a second surgery for a blood transfusion). My bladder was doing better after 3-4 weeks, but I was up alot at night the first few weeks to use the bathroom. I had very little discharge. Take Care!
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM

I did have experience with the crotch pain. I think that is more common in TVH, which I had as well. It lasted throughout my recovery. At about 6 weeks it finally went away. I talked to my doc about it at my 2 week check, she said nothing was amiss and it was nothing to worry about. But that when it starts getting really painful it's time to get off your feet and rest. Hang in there, it will eventually subside. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register