Frozen arm! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Frozen arm!

Okay this is official my body is falling apart. First surgery and now my arm? I don't know if this is related to the pain meds or something but I am fedup!! LOL

My arm hurt like hellfire when ever I move it right in the socket. I know I didn't lie on it funny or pulled a muscle since I am not allowed to pick things up and don't sleep on that side. I have had something like twice before where my shoulder froze and need cortizone treatments but that was a decade ago....

I do not feel like another trip to the doctor i think this one might just do me in permanently after yesterday's.

Can you get a cortizone cream OTC??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Depends...

What type of surgery did you have? If it was laparoscopic, the shoulder pain is a result of the air they used during the surgery. They didn't warn me last year when I had it done & it hurt like crazy.

Hang in there!
Unread 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Frozen arm!

No not lap gas...vaginal hyster. I have had the gas pain before from that and this is not in the same spot. I can feel it in the actuall socket. I am having hubby bring me something from the drugstore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Frozen arm!

My left shoulder hurt like that the first week after surgery and I also wondered what in the world did I do since I wasn't lifting anything. That particular shoulder is prone to getting achy, so I assume I slept on it wrong. It's better now but it does seem like funny little things keep happening. Maybe we're unconsciously doing things or holding ourselves differently because we're so focused on how we're getting in and out of bed, cars, couches to avoid straining our stitches.
Unread 03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Frozen arm!

Hi nicoler76

The only time I ever had shoulder trouble happened to be after my hyst a few years ago... and it took a cortisone injection to fix. My brother though, got his back to normal with VERY CAREFUL but persistent range of motion exercises and advice on the right dose of NSAIDs.

Maybe you can ask your doc for suggestions if you don't feel you can make it to the office.

Hope it improves soon.

Unread 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Frozen arm!

Nicoler76 - I woke up in the hospital with horrible pain in one of my shoulders. I buzzed the nurse and asked what it was and was told that it was from the gas. I was surprised about that because I had a TVH and I was not aware they used gas. I am still having problems with that shoulder and it is right where you describe - in the socket. I am hoping it goes away soon.
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Frozen arm!

An update: Thanks to all the responses. My shoulder suffers from this every 3 or 4 years just sucks it was right now. I had to put on some cortizone cream and it cleared up within 24 hours. I just dread that one day I am going to have to have the cortizone injection...UGH so afraid of needles.

But it feels 97% better and my range of motion has returned. It just hurts when I lift it above my head. By tomorrow all should be well again.

I have had the gas pains in the shoulder/high chest area and those are no fun either. I found it interesting that any internal pressure on the diaghram will lead to the same pain, so it's not necesarrilly the gas being right up there, more the nerves up there feel it. I found this out when I had severe internal bleeding from a ruptured falopian pregnancy. That was one of the first symptoms that something was really wrong.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register