Fever and Inability to completely empty bladder - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fever and Inability to completely empty bladder Fever and Inability to completely empty bladder

Unread 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Fever and Inability to completely empty bladder

hello. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I went through two days of fever, chills, and hot flashes and this started the first evening I came home from the hospital. Dr didn't think anything of it, he said to give it time and it will clear, continue on the Motrin for pain and fever. Fever did go away as well as the chills and hot flashes. However, I too started with the strange feeling when I peed. It was awful. I would sit down to do my business, empty my bladder and then at the end had mind numbing pain. I called my dr's nurse and asked for an antibiotic to be called in (just to be safe). I have been taking the anti now for a couple of days and I can proudly report that it no longer hurts to pee. WoOOOHOOO!!!! I have also been drinking cranberry juice like crazy to clear the infection.
You have had a lot stuff minipulated down there and it is possible that it is just some bruising but don't take the chance. I hate pain and when I am in pain it must be fixed right away.
Start on cranberry juice, it is natural and won't hurt you to drink it. Get in touch with her dr first thing monday morning. If it becomes unbearable then you will have to go to the ER but I understand why you don't want to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoals
hello. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I went through two days of fever, chills, and hot flashes and this started the first evening I came home from the hospital. Dr didn't think anything of it, he said to give it time and it will clear, continue on the Motrin for pain and fever. Fever did go away as well as the chills and hot flashes. However, I too started with the strange feeling when I peed. It was awful. I would sit down to do my business, empty my bladder and then at the end had mind numbing pain. I called my dr's nurse and asked for an antibiotic to be called in (just to be safe). I have been taking the anti now for a couple of days and I can proudly report that it no longer hurts to pee. WoOOOHOOO!!!! I have also been drinking cranberry juice like crazy to clear the infection.
You have had a lot stuff minipulated down there and it is possible that it is just some bruising but don't take the chance. I hate pain and when I am in pain it must be fixed right away.
Start on cranberry juice, it is natural and won't hurt you to drink it. Get in touch with her dr first thing monday morning. If it becomes unbearable then you will have to go to the ER but I understand why you don't want to go.
Thank you for the advice. It falls on open ears. I can't stand cranberry juice but I'm going to try the cranberry pills and see if that helps. I'm just trying ot get through 'til Monday so I can get into the office.

Thanks,
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Hi Denise,

You made it through the night! I hope you're having some sunshine in VA, it really helps the world feel just a little more normal. How is the fever?

Taking the cranberry pills or capsules is the better way to go because you don't get all of the sugar. Some people have taken plain cranberry (picture a face doing the really sour pucker!) as medicine, but like you said, you have to have the stomach for it.

How is the strange dc? I was worried when, knowing you had work on the sphincter, that there might be a crossover of what should be coming out of where. If you had a fever due to bowel discharge entering the vagina and there was some infection, it could be a serious situation. I'd had "latte" colored discharge until the end of 6 weeks, so it does come in "interesting" shades.

If you're fever's gone then waiting until Monday seems OK but stay aware. You had also mentioned pain on one side. I had some of that having had only my right ovary removed, this time. But because you've had so much work done on the pelvic floor, you never know which nerves where cut, knicked or highly irritated during surgery, and they all lead somewhere. They can fool you into thinking there's something going on in another area when it's being "referred" from the surgical area. But pain is to be listened to.

Does cold or hot feel good when applied to the abdomen? Vitamin B's help to heal nerves, and hot peppers are good for this too, not that you may be ready to ingest any yet! If your pain meds help the anxiety level go down, embrace them for this as well. It's amazing how when we see the docs for all of our pains and worries, when they say, "That's normal", "It will go away soon," we feel so much better. Our ever busy minds that alert us to danger can only go on what they have experienced before, so they tend to keep us alarmed. More tension equals more pain and worry. Have one of those great care-givers you have around give you a foot rub up to the knees, brush your hair, rub your hands and forehead, and make you some herb tea with honey. Do what you can to get through the weekend with as little stress as possible, even if it comes in the form of a pill, tincture, tea bag, or a hundred hugs!

The same intelligence that causes a seed to sprout in the spring, the sap to flow in trees, a baby bird to develop in an egg and peck its way out to enter its new world, is the same intelligence that heals our wounds. In your mind, inhale and visualize that radiant powerful and infinitely intelligent light at your surgery site, exhale and send and throughout your whole body.

Lisa (Ishwari)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishwari
Hi Denise,

You made it through the night! I hope you're having some sunshine in VA, it really helps the world feel just a little more normal. How is the fever?

Taking the cranberry pills or capsules is the better way to go because you don't get all of the sugar. Some people have taken plain cranberry (picture a face doing the really sour pucker!) as medicine, but like you said, you have to have the stomach for it.

How is the strange dc? I was worried when, knowing you had work on the sphincter, that there might be a crossover of what should be coming out of where. If you had a fever due to bowel discharge entering the vagina and there was some infection, it could be a serious situation. I'd had "latte" colored discharge until the end of 6 weeks, so it does come in "interesting" shades.

If you're fever's gone then waiting until Monday seems OK but stay aware. You had also mentioned pain on one side. I had some of that having had only my right ovary removed, this time. But because you've had so much work done on the pelvic floor, you never know which nerves where cut, knicked or highly irritated during surgery, and they all lead somewhere. They can fool you into thinking there's something going on in another area when it's being "referred" from the surgical area. But pain is to be listened to.

Does cold or hot feel good when applied to the abdomen? Vitamin B's help to heal nerves, and hot peppers are good for this too, not that you may be ready to ingest any yet! If your pain meds help the anxiety level go down, embrace them for this as well. It's amazing how when we see the docs for all of our pains and worries, when they say, "That's normal", "It will go away soon," we feel so much better. Our ever busy minds that alert us to danger can only go on what they have experienced before, so they tend to keep us alarmed. More tension equals more pain and worry. Have one of those great care-givers you have around give you a foot rub up to the knees, brush your hair, rub your hands and forehead, and make you some herb tea with honey. Do what you can to get through the weekend with as little stress as possible, even if it comes in the form of a pill, tincture, tea bag, or a hundred hugs!

The same intelligence that causes a seed to sprout in the spring, the sap to flow in trees, a baby bird to develop in an egg and peck its way out to enter its new world, is the same intelligence that heals our wounds. In your mind, inhale and visualize that radiant powerful and infinitely intelligent light at your surgery site, exhale and send and throughout your whole body.

Lisa (Ishwari)
Wonderful words of wisdom, Lisa. I am having a better day. But I'm learning quickly that this may not be the norm. At this point, it seems like I'm still have more bad days then good but hopefully I'll be turning that corner soon.

I had to good BMs today, which were a bit stressful and exhausting but I think it was cleansing and made me feel better in the long run. So far, what I experienced the other night with the d/c has not happened again even with the BMs. I'm pretty much just nursing the fever right now and laying off the pain meds. I want to see if the 800 mg. of ibuprofen will not only help the fever but also the inflammation helping the bladder to function a little better.

I took a walk today too. I'd may take another one later. I wouldn't say today is a perfect day but it is a better day than yesterday.

Many Blessings to All,
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM

Thanks be praised for the better days!!!

It's those little victories, like a good BM, isn't it?

Fortunately, if the docs find a problem, they've got big guns to treat things with, they'll be able to help you.

You feel calm, and that's really good.

Be well, dear.

Lisa
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM

I had my surgery 1/30/08 and was put back into the hospital with a fever on 2/10/08. My WBC was 23,000. Also be careful I have had bladder infection once and UTI once since surgery. Please go get checked.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Denise -

How are you doing? Did you get to talk to your Dr on Monday about the fevers, discharge etc??

I hope you are well,

Starbgirl
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Yes, I went yesterday. I had reached a level of exhaustion I couldn't even lift my head off of the pillow. I was sick to my stomach, had (what I thought) was quite a bit of blood the morning after a strenuous BM, fevers, the bladder issues, and the drainage issues. I was very sick. I honestly thought they were going to readmit me, but they didn't. I was praying that something was "wrong" so they could fix it. I was actually sorry to here that everything was "normal" because I knew this meant I had to wait for God to do his thing.

They did explain that I did not have the "average" hysterectomy and AP repair". The sphinteroplasty work was "extensive" and is a very, very difficult surgery to recover from. My doc was out of town. But the resident had one of her "partners" the GYN-Oncologist check me out. I asked about the blood. They said it's part of the healing process. This are very "raw" down there and everytime they would just touch it with a q-tip it would bleed. So you can only imagine what trying to get get after a BM was doing to the area.

Anyhow, I came home and slept for 4.5 hours. I slept all night and on and off all day today. I'm still not sure when I should be up and about like so many ladies on here but I'm pretty sure it's not now. I see my doc next Tuesday when she returns and I'll tell you I can't wait.

HysterHugs,
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Denise, glad to hear you were able to get in and have everything checked. It sounds like rest is your best bet right now. Please take it easy and do know that we're all here for you.
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:04 PM

I'm glad you got to go. Did they say anything about the fever???

If I were you I would be anxious to see my own Dr too.

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register