Does c-section compare? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does c-section compare? Does c-section compare?

Unread 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Does c-section compare?

I was talking to my boss the other day. She and I have a close relationship, and she has been a good source of support for me. I am an emotional wreck due to a miriad of health issues, the hyster being just 1 among many. I told her this surgery was really bad, and that I never wanted to have abdominal surgery again (pre-op ladies, my health issues made it worse, not the hyster)
She said "oh, I know, I had 2 c-sections". to which I almost replied why on earth did you have the second one??? (I don't have kids, so maybe I just can't relate).

My question is, is the hyster like having a c-section? A lot of my discomfort seems to be coming from the amount of abdominal packing they had to do- the doc said she had to pull quite a bit...plus I am loaded with utures and can actually feel my bowels roll across the suture lines. I can't imagine a c-section being as extensive...
and did you have the gas pain issues after a c-section?
I was on a soft diet and no meat for 2 weeks...I can't imagine trying to take care of a newborn on top of this surgery...
If it is similar, I have a whole new respect for those who had the c-sections!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Warning-baby Mentioned

Hello, i might be able to shine some light on your question. In '95 my daughter was born by an emergency csection. The dr. Had to cut me up & down. I had a tubal while they were in there. I had alot of gas pain after that. I was put to sleep for it due to emergency & they were rushed because of my daughter was breach. The pain was bad & trying to bend & lift a baby was hard. The way an incision runs makes a difference i think. Its hard having a major surgery & then going home & having a baby to care for. Having a hyster. Was different for me for 1 thing my hyster. Was done through lap. & the incisions were small. The pain level after is about the same,but my recovery time has taken alot longer with the hyster. Than the csection.ive not had as much gas as before,but ive had so many other weird pains with the hyster.! Usually when you have a 1 csection the following births are csections due to risk of the uterus ruptering during pushing. So even though the 2 are both very painful & hard the hyst. To me has been worse. I couldnt imagine having to take care of a new born while recovering from this even though they are worth it. I hope it helps you a little bit.
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Does c-section compare?

Hey there! I have had 2 c-sections and now I had a TAH through the same scar. I can tell you that I believe it is kind of similar. However, there is a big difference. When you have a hysterectomy, they are taking out organs that are supposed to be there, there is alot of cauterizing and sewing, much more than in a c-section. I can say after my TAH I am having more internal pain than I had with my c-sections. My incision doesn't really seem to bother me much at all after a couple weeks post-op, but it's the insides that hurt. Which is quite different from my c-sections. Also, emotionally it is SOOO different. When you have a c-section, you are getting a prize....a baby. When you have a hysterectomy, you are losing your womb...in a sense you are losing a part of you, a part of your womanhood and youth. Thankfully you are losing your period haha. However, I can remember after the c-sections, the pain didn't bother me that much, all I wanted to do was get up and take care of my baby. After the TAH, I don't have the same motivation to get better, except moving on with my life. In my case, my doc said that it is alot more difficult recovery than my c-sections, because I had so many adhesions b/c of the c-sections, that they had their own blood flow and nerve endings. So she had to cauterize and cut so many things inside of my body, not to mention to put all the other organs back where they were supposed to be. So, although I'm sure that your friend is trying to understand the best way that she knows how by comparing the closest thing that she has experienced to yours, it is not the same. The pain seems more severe, and I seem to get sooo much more tired. There are alot more risks post-hyst than c-section, and even hormonal issues (with or without the ovaries). Stay strong, and get well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Does c-section compare?

I've had two c-sections, the first one was necessary, the second was optional. The hysterectomy is worse. The incision is about the same, but the abdominal trauma is a much longer recovery.
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Does c-section compare?

I had 3 c sections and i think the hyster is a much worse recovery than the sections were. I have a 1 year old that i can't lift yet and she doesn't understand where as after the c sections i could at least lift the baby and help out - i feel worthless right now. My house is a disaster, laundry isn't done, floors need swept and all I want to do is sleep!
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Does c-section compare?

I agree with the others. I had 2 c-sections. The hyster is more painful and longer recovery time. I have had both kinds of incisions, vertical for births, and bikini for hyster. I do have more pain internally with the hyster, as well as physically tired. I went in thinking they were gonna be similar, but boy was I wrong!!!!!! I should have listen to DR. lol. I still am having a hard time not doing anything, but I did everything still with the c-section.
Unread 03-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Does c-section compare?

I had two c/sections (bikini cut) 20 odd years ago, and had a DaVinci Hyst, 6 months ago.

I think the c/sections were worse.

Why? because I breast fed my babies and the doc's wouldn't give me strong enough pain meds because they didn't want the meds affecting my babies through the breast milk.

Also, I had to do a lot of bending to take care of my babies (dh refused to put the changing table together until #1 child was 6 weeks old.. grrrr) and that hurt alot.

In comparison, the hyst was easy. I had good pain control and lots of help at home afterwards.
Unread 03-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Does c-section compare?

Maybe it deoends on the type of hyst and extent of inernal repairs.
I had a C-section and fully expected this abdominal hyst to be quite similar, but it is another creature altogether.
More pain, internally, and crushing fatigue.
Hyst in my case much harder... but at least i don't have an infant to care for this time!
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Does c-section compare?

Thank you, ladies. as always I knew I could rely on you for a better understanding.
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Does c-section compare?

No doubt in my mind that the hysterectomy was worse than my 2 c-sections....by far!!!! I was done with recovery and feeling great at 4 weeks with the c-sections---I am now 7 weeks out from TAH, and while I am feeling great, I am still not "right". I know that this is just going to take longer now. When I went into the surgery, I wasn't too informed, I thought it would be so much easier than a c-section becuase I would get all the sleep I didn't get with the c-section (no baby!) i did get a lot more sleep, but I needed it a LOT more

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register