Does c-section compare? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does c-section compare? Does c-section compare?

Unread 03-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Does c-section compare?

And, I was 21 years younger and I think that is a big difference!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Does c-section compare?

I had spine surgery in May of 07. They went through the front with a 7 inch incision, vertical. Recovery was 3.5 months. I thought that this hyster recovery would be nothing compared to that. Dr. warned me but I of course did not take heed. This is much worse. With the spine surgery things were just replaced. With this surgery a lot was removed and the ab muscles were cut. The incision for the spine surgery did not cut muscle, they just moved it aside. Perhaps if I had been realistic about this I would have delt with it different. Oh well, live and learn.
Unread 03-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Does c-section compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiocatlover
I was talking to my boss the other day. She and I have a close relationship, and she has been a good source of support for me. I am an emotional wreck due to a miriad of health issues, the hyster being just 1 among many. I told her this surgery was really bad, and that I never wanted to have abdominal surgery again (pre-op ladies, my health issues made it worse, not the hyster)
She said "oh, I know, I had 2 c-sections". to which I almost replied why on earth did you have the second one??? (I don't have kids, so maybe I just can't relate).

My question is, is the hyster like having a c-section? A lot of my discomfort seems to be coming from the amount of abdominal packing they had to do- the doc said she had to pull quite a bit...plus I am loaded with utures and can actually feel my bowels roll across the suture lines. I can't imagine a c-section being as extensive...
and did you have the gas pain issues after a c-section?
I was on a soft diet and no meat for 2 weeks...I can't imagine trying to take care of a newborn on top of this surgery...
If it is similar, I have a whole new respect for those who had the c-sections!
I am 2 1/2 weeks post op TVH now but have also had 2 Emerg. C sections...I know in alot of ways I would guess the TAH and C section abdominal walls healing may be around the same sensations...but,the inner trauma our bodies go thru for any hysterectomy ...I believe is so much more painful and uncomfortable than I ever imagined!!

I wanted to adress ur question as to why people would have a second c section...well...sometimes its just not planned that way...sometimes health risks for the baby are reasons for prescheduled c sections...and sometimes unforseen emergency can cause a c section to need to be performed both of my c sections were emergency c sections...My first csection and 3rd son was actually dead at birth and had to be revived and it took two hours before they had him stabilized...he had all sorts of complications due to interuterine growth retardation due to the umbilical cord being tied in a true knot...he had a lung infection due to mecronium in his lungsand severe yellow jaundice...he had a 95% Pancreanotomy and Appendectomy at just 3 weeks old ...he also had a direct central line into a main artery in his heart during this process because he was born 3 weeks early as well (and was even small for his gestation age...at 5.12 lbs) and had extremely hard to contol low blood sugar problems and his veins were perfurating so that had to do the central line...his docs expected him to be diabetic right away after the 95% pancreanotomy but,miraculously just the other day he turned 12 and has not had to be on insulin or glucose or any special diet...In his case they say that it may or may not return to that size again...they say he could go x amount of years and need insulin or glucose...but, that he also could go till 80 and suddenly develop it there is no guarantee but, I know I have had a wonderful joy added to my life by having him as well as the others they all were d*****ately worth it no matter how hard it may be...I guess being a mom isnt something you could completely understand but, its d*****ately worth the pain when given that gift...my second c section and 4th son was also an emergency c section this time bc the umbilical cord was wrapped 3 times around his neck causing distress and low heart rates...so they got him out right away...I actually had these c sections what the docs like to call...back to back bc March of 96 I had the first and June of 97 I had the 2nd c section...yeah...that wasnt exactly planned...but I love them all the same anyways and it was hard having babies after a c section...but, somehow I had the will then...not so much now I am just tired a lot and feel a lot of discomfort internally...eek its the swelly belly!!

I do agree however after my rambling on and on lol...that a hysterectomy no matter what kind is more painful than a C section...also I had the gas with the c sections and the TVH...doesnt matter if you are cut open either...bc u r still opened up and exposed to excess air inside...I also had a little of it after my D and C as well...so yep it happens...I do remember having alot of constipation after my first c section too...so far so good after the TVH though...

Anyways hope this helps...Davina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Does c-section compare?

I had two c-sections and I can't compare the two at all! This TAH has got me so tired. I don't do anything I let my DH do whatever he can. The main thing I have noticed is I don't recall it hurting to laugh for this long! Anytime I laugh I get so mad at whoever makes me laugh I could hit them!(not really hit ,just a nice mental pictures LOL) Plus as Lolee8 said you get a great prize with a c-section something that money can't replace. For me mentally I had a hard time knowing the place my babies grew in was going to be gone. I had to have time to "morn" that loss. I think it is somewhat similar for any woman rather they have had kids, never could have kids, or never wanted kids you still feel some since of loss. So in the short of it, NO way or the two a comparison you get cut open for both but different "things" come out!
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Does c-section compare?

It's like comparing apples and oranges!
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Does c-section compare?

I have also been thinking on how this surgery compares to my c-section almost 25 years ago. Lots of similarities but lots of differences, too.

The cut is vertical, like with the c-section, and I had 26 staples when I came home from the hospital on the 3rd post-op day. When I had the c-section, I was in the hospital for a whole week b/c my baby had some complications and was in the ICU for a few days, and then I was nursing so had to stay until he was ready to go home. And when you go home with a baby you have no choice except to take care of it. I think also since you keep your mommy parts there are hormones and endorphins working along with the joy of having the baby that help speed your recovery.

The other thing is - with a c-section you have a uterus that is recovering from being cut. The bad thing is, you have additional layers of tissue that are healing but the good thing is, the pressure from gas is cushioned by the uterus so I am feeling more discomfort from gas that I don't remember at all having with the c-section. Now there is no cushion and the gas pressure is affecting the internal stitches... therefore more pain from that.

Now back in the day I remember it took FOREVER for it not to hurt from laughing, coughing, or sneezing. It might be b/c before being cut there was a big belly and afterwards there was no support and the weight of additional skin. This time the belly wasn't stretched before surgery - unless the uterus was so enlarged it caused some distention. I also think when I had my c-section they cut the muscles (it was an emergency) but this time they used retractors to separate the muscles - after my surgery my entire abdomen was sore like I had been run over by a truck - but this went away in just a few days.

We also have to take into consideration two things - our age and our level of health at the time of the procedure. I am 25 years older but I am at a better level of overall health than I was then. My energy is great at 3 weeks post-op, I'm sleeping well, and am ready to get on with my life.

I did mourn the loss of my uterus for about 5 minutes. Until I remembered the pain and uncertainty it caused me for the last three years. It was no longer my friend and it was time for it to go. Interestingly enough I think my son mourned it too...he commented, "That was my first home." More in a nostalgic way, even though he of course did not remember being there. He was more worried about me having the operation than about my uterus.

So for me there are lots of differences but lots of similarities, too.
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Does c-section compare?

I agree with some of the other ladies. I had 2 C-sections and my tubes tied. Unfortunately, I thought my hysterectomy would be the same Boy was I wrong for me the recovery was much longer ad I had a few complications.
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Does c-section compare?

Reading all of these responses.. I think it must really depend on the type of hyst you have.

Everyone who has said that the hyst was worse seems to have had an abdominal hyst.

I had a much less invasive procedure (DaVinci) and I found the recovery to incredibly easier than the c/sections.

Not to say I didn't mourn the necessity for the hyst.. I did. I fought the idea of the need for surgery as long as I could.. and grieved for my lost body parts afterwards (and still do to a certain extent, but dwelling on it won't help).

So, if your doctor is planning a less invasive procedure than an abdominal incision, you just might have an easier time like I did. I hope so anyways!!

Best of luck to all,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register