Torn Vaginal Cuff - Now what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Torn Vaginal Cuff - Now what? Torn Vaginal Cuff - Now what?

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Torn Vaginal Cuff - Now what?

DH and I had sex 6.5 weeks post op with the OK from my dr. In the middle the act, we felt something pop and there was intense pain. We were slow and gentle too. I could not move for 15 mins with the pain. There was a little bleeding (with wiping). I slept all day, the next day because of the pain.

I went to my dr 2 days later and she said I tore my vaginal cuff after an internal and rectal exam. She is now monitoring my blood count as there is a risk of internal bleeding or hemoragging. She said time will heal, and has put me on disability for another 8 weeks. I go back for another visit on Friday.

I know this has happened to some others, but I don't know what was done with others. I am still hurting pretty badly, and bm's are excruciating. I feel as if it is my first week again where everything hurts inside, and I now tire very easily again, even taking a shower is exhausting. I am back on around the clock pain meds (600 mg motrin) after giving it up in the 2nd week post op.

This happened a week ago now - I thought I could just tough it out - but am falling into the trap of feeling sorry for myself. I was tired of not being able to get up and go for 6 weeks, and now this... Those that have had this happen, any advice/shared experiences...? I need to know what questions to ask my dr again. I just wish I knew what to expect, and when the pain would end. Does the vaginal cuff heal/repair itself after being torn?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM

ShoeMe

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Although it's uncommon, we have had ladies who've experienced this and I hope they'll be along soon to share.

In the meantime, if you try an advanced search (click third from the right on the purple bar, towards the top of this page) for "torn cuff" in thread titles, you'll find a number of threads to read through.

Please don't hesitate to contact your doctor again before Friday if you're at all worried. Will you let us know what happens? I hope you're feeling alot better very soon.

Unread 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM

ShoeMe
What is the vagina cuff? I sorry to hear about your new problem I do hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM

The vaginal cuff, from what I was told is, what the surgeons sew in in lieu of the cervix that is removed during a hyster. Picture a sock, the vaginal cuff is the toe end of the sock. Hope that helps.
Unread 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Oh I'm sorry this happed. I also had my cervix removed and my DH asked if he would go past that spot. I said I didn't know. I guess it is something else to be worried about. I hope you feel better.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM

That's it no sex for me! sorry to hear of your trouble but this could be my ticket out, " not tonight dear, I don't want to tear my vaginal cuff". My DH would be left speechless. hahahahah
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Shoe Me I'm so sorry to hear this happened! Sorry no advice here since I haven't been given the okay for sex yet, but please keep letting us know how you're doing!
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks - I should know more on Friday after my appt. I just placed another call to my dr's office - it still hurts to walk, sit, stand, go to the bathroom... I am waiting for a call back and am going to ask for an ultrasound or some kind of imaging to see what is going on.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM

sw34:
At the top of your vagina where the cervix was, now it is just sewn shut. That is what a vaginal cuff is... If they didn't take your cervix, you don' t have one.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

ShoeMe:
Did you feel him hit the top of you? Would you also ask your doctor if the top of the cuff is attached to your belly button? I don't know where I read that thread... someone said that is how it is held up (Inside) I asked my doctor and he said they used the uterus ligament... Either way I have extreme pain just to the left of my belly button and wondered if something ripped loose there... He said perhaps there is a tear in my fascia (kind of like a hernia).. I will be getting a ct scan soon and hopefully that will tell me something. Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register