New here and young... just don't know what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and young...  just don't know what to expect New here and young... just don't know what to expect

Unread 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
New here and young... just don't know what to expect

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on March 13. It was a very "quick" decision, and I am certain that I made the right decision (especially because in surgery my oncologist found a great deal of endometriosis as well as my uterus and bladder were sagging, in addition to finally "curing" the cervical cancer battle). However the decision to have surgery and actually having sugery was only a little over a week apart. We had to rush due to insurance issues (my divorce is almost final, and we had to get this done before I lost my insurance). I was working as much as possible before surgery so I had very little time to do any sort of research on what to expect afterwards.

I am on my own right now recovering. I have a cousin who is coming over to check on me and is always only a phone call away, however I don't know what all I should be doing yet. I did a load of laundry yesterday (Saturday) and wound up in the ER with concerns of heart problems (ended up being pleurisy, and the doctor said I was just pushing myself too much). Ok so granted I live in a third floor apartment and the laundry is on the first floor... but either way. I just am kinda lost, a little scared about being in menopause at the age of 30, and just don't even know where to start! Thank goodness I found this site (someone in my building hasn't locked their wireless internet, so I'm "borrowing" it until my internet is hooked up next week). Can anyone offer any advice or insights on what to expect? I know I'm not the only young woman who has had this done, I'm just scared and feeling very alone right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Hi SuperWoman77 and welcome! You will find lots of good advice on this website so look at the articles and posts. I moved to Arizona from Toledo about six years ago so small world! I am in week four and encourage you to rest as much as possible. You have hundreds of stitches inside and there are significant dangers if you do too much too soon that may not seem obvious right away but can cause you quite a bit of trouble down the road possibly including more surgery. You will find on this site that there are many of us here so you are definitely not alone and all of us have felt scared at one point or another (and surely will again) but we have each other even at all hours of the day and night. Take care of yourself!
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:42 PM

Hi SuperWoman 77 and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! No need to fear -- there is always someone here 24/7.

You sound like you're doing well so far, despite everything. A hysterectomy is major surgery and even under the best of circumstances, it's not easy.

Just to clarify your situation for the members, are you taking HRT or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:28 AM

HiSW77, You definitely are in good company on this board. I had a TAH/BSO at the end of Jan. Please rest --you are not even at 2 weeks yet. Believe me the laundry will still be there. It's important to let your body heal so you don't get any hernia or feeling worse than you do already. I had a horizontal incision and over the weeks I have had highs and lows but it gets better and better. Now, I do get tired by the late afternoon (just went back to work last week) and I feel my incision area. This is the first week that I haven't felt any pulling on the inside. Keep yourself comfortable, and take it easy---your sisters are here for you!!!
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Thank you for all the responses! I must say that I'm a little worried because I know I really have pushed it too much. Heck, Sunday a friend picked me up for church (that was fine), however when I got back I decided I needed a few things from the store so I had to clear off the snow from my car before I went... Yeah, smack me now... that was dumb... But I have promised myself (and my friends) that I will be better now...

How do I know if I've "upset" anything inside? Yeah, I'm still very sore, but I'm not even 2 weeks post-op yet so I guess that is expected. I try not to take pain meds that much, my doctor only gave me a small amount so I don't want to get stuck in a week or two in extreme pain and no pain meds to help me out. So I'm "rationing"...

The other question and fear I have is sex post-op. I am in a relationship and have had a very healthy sex life. But I've seen posts about tearing the vaginal cuff and other problems... I am VERY scared of this happening. For one, I HAVE to get back to work ASAP (I have no income while I'm off work, and don't have a savings account or anything to help me out right now). Plus the worst thing I could imagine would be us ruining something by having sex. He's just very "long" (sorry, I hope that's not too offensive... but it's really true). I know it's a ways away, but hey, like I said we had a very healthy sex life prior to surgery and I'm definitely looking forward to returning to one as well...

And for the final question... I don't know what HRT I will be doing yet. My dr and I are going to discuss that at my 4 week appointment. They did give me a shot of depo provera in the hospital, but I don't know what my long-term choice is going to be. I have a big history of hormone-related breast cancer in my family, so I'm a little shy to do HRT. My dr's wife specializes in herbal treatments, so that's an option. Of course the biggest thing right now for me is what I can afford. I won't have insurance in a little while, however for right now I am on my soon-to-be-ex-husband's insurance which will not cover herbals... Any thoughts?
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Don't even worry about the laundry. If you are just wearing PJ's and clean undies you shouldn't have hardly anything at all to launder. Undies you can wash in the sink at PJ's well those you can wear a few days in a row and ask cousing to take care of a load of laundry while checking on you. My doc told me nothing heavier than a gallon of milk, no vacuming....etc. You might feel well now and over do it and pay for it in years to come if adhesions form. Just lay low and keep join the rest of us chatting about our latest BM truimphs.
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm assuming BM means bowel movements... HA HA... that is hilarious because they actually let me go from the hospital BEFORE I had a BM! I had surgery and by Sunday I still hadn't had a BM and really had very little gas movement. They gave me an enema and when I showed her that all I did was "release the stuff they put in me", the nurse counted it as a BM! So I went home. I finally had a BM a WEEK after surgery! Things have been relatively ok since then, however, but I was getting a little nervous! My cousin was laughing her butt off when I texted her that I had finally pooped! She replied that she was so happy, and could now sleep well. I felt like I was being potty-trained and we had a celebration that I went POOPY IN THE POTTY!!! LOL... Ah the things that entertain us when we have nothing to do!
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:58 AM

I too was worried about the hormones since I am only 33. My Dr assured me there were many so options available. Sometimes you have to tweak things until you find the right formula for you. I am on the Vivelle dot .1 estrogen patch and 100mg of Prometrium each day. So far this combination is working well for me. I don't really feel any different than I did pre-op as far as the hormones are concerned. I too worry about the cuff tearing. I have a few more weeks before we can even attempt sex. You are in good comapny here and there are quite a few of us in our 30's. Happy recovery!
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:20 AM

wow!!! I can't believe you are doing all of that. I had my hyster on 3/12 and I am just coming up on two weeks tomorrow and I didn't start feeling better until about day 12. Just getting out of bed and off the couch was hard enough. I am 32 but they were able to leave my ovaries so I won't be going through the HRT. Take it easy!!!! Seek help from your boyfriend if possible and your cousin. You shouldn't be doing anything. I like how they refer to us on this website as a princess and the hospital is the castle. You just left the castle and you should have numerous "helpers" to keep the princess happy. At this stage of the game I know it can be a bit boring. I'm going crazy because my dog is shedding and I cannot run the vacuum. Even though I am home and doing nothing. I have started to cook again so that is helping but I still take it easy throughout the day. Tomorrow I am released to drive so I will be doing some light shopping on Thursday. Can't wait for that. Don't lift anything heavy and take it easy. Listen to your body.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM

SuperWoman77
Don't have sex until your Dr relases you. If you have a concern about a vaginal cuff tear talk to your Dr. The other ladies are right don't over do it. I've had several surgeries because of scar tissue (adhesions) and they are very painful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register