Gas pain and constipation - any suggestions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas pain and constipation - any suggestions? Gas pain and constipation - any suggestions?

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Tah Bso

I had my surgery Tuesday, March 18, 2008. I had epidural morphine and itched for 36 hours straight. Even 50 mg Benadryl IV Push didn't completely resolve it. They offered to reverse it at the risk of shock. I declined. I also hallucinated a milk carton with legs, a talking snake and a Zorro shadow knocking at the door. Thank goodness my mother stayed with me my first night. I kept her awake all night. This was my first surgery experience and my first pain medicine experience (besides ibuprofen and acetaminophen).
I came home Friday the 21st. I'm taking Percocet every 4 and 800 ibuprofen every 8. I started out constipated. Even with stool softeners, gas x and milk of mag on a regular schedule, I'm still having horrible gas pain and constipation. My pain is not any better than it has been since my epidural wore off and my itching stopped.
I ordered a swelly belly. I'm pretty sure I have a few more rough days to go. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Gas pain and constipation - any suggestions?

myskimbo

I'm sorry you had such a rough time following surgery.

Gas pains and constipation are ever so common, I'm afraid, and I hope some of your ((sisters)) will be along soon to share their experiences. In the meantime, it may help you to read our HS articles <links> Constipation and Gas, Gas, Gas! I hope you'll also find our Post-Op Checkpoint Weeks 1-2 useful, too.

I found it much more encouraging to assess my progress on a weekly basis rather than on a daily one. If you have any concerns at all, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM

You are experiencing what I perceive as the number one most commonly cited problem after this surgery. I would suggest talking it over with your doctor about what you can do. You may need to do some trial and error to find what works best for you. You already are doing Milk of Magnesia, stool softerners and gas-x so make sure you are eating lots of fiber, drinking a whole lot of water as that will help and are not eating gassy or binding foods like cabbage or bananas. You may need to try enemas or dulcolax suppositories or different laxative/softener types. There are lots of posts about this as well as the already recommended articles. Good luck to you, the good news is it does 'pass' (sorry). I am week four and while I still have pain at rare moments associated with gas or BM, it is nothing like it was the first two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM

I was on the same regiment as you. Don't over due it on the MofM, it gave me really bad diarrhea after 2 weeks. I am now just on stool softeners, gas x, and prune juice. This is the first day in a long time that I haven't had the gas pain. Hand in there, it does get better. Oh, I find the prune juice isn't that bad if I heat it up before I drink it, go figure
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Hi
ALso--and especially for the gas--the more you walk, the easier it is--I figure it lets it escape in small bits.
I found dates were yummy and helpful. And I could really tell the difference between days where I drank only 4 or 5 glasses of water and a full six.
Also, try not to eat dairy, which definitely made it worse for me.
Deb
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Lots of water...Milk of Magnesia only in dire straights as you can become dependent on it.plus it is a laxative...........use 2 colace eveery night, eat high fiber cereal..and plenty of water....pass the gas.........use gas relief pill....they will also help....walk as much as you can without discomfort.
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm feeling a little better already. My doc says an 1x enema fix is okay to see if that unblocks things. I was eating bananas and drinking milk. I'll cut that out for a while. I can hardly wait for my swelly belly band. Wish I'd known about it sooner.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Hi myskimbo,

You might also want to try Miralax. I used stool softeners, Milk of Magnesia, and Dulcolax and ended up in the ER with horrible cramps and dehydrated from all of the watery diarrhea. Miralax is good because it does not stimulate the bowel and is therefore not addicting. All that it does is pull more water from your body into your colon so drinking water is also very important. I hope you begin feeling better soon. Many of us can relate to what you are going through.

Blessings, Lisa
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM

First rule of thumb. If you need to pass gas = do it. Don't clench the butt cheeks and hold it in. Not good for you. No modesty for those who just had surgery. I drank over half a bottle of Milk of Mag before going but I finally did go. My dr recommended this. Take a double dose of the Milk of Mag and then right after you chug that drink two big glasses of very warm water. I did this and was going within hours. I had diar. for a couple of days but it felt good because I knew I was being cleaned out and I didn't have to strain the incision site to go. I have been regular and going everyday since.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register