How long to take pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long to take pain meds How long to take pain meds

Unread 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
How long to take pain meds

Ok So I did it, had my TAH on March 13th. I can say it didnt go as planned. I was to have cervix removed but because of my bleeding issues the dr was only able to get some of cervix removed?? then I started to bleed and he had to stop. Also, I had fever and vomitting ALOT! This was not good since I felt my insides were being torn out and had to hold my bucket because the nurse ran out of the room and left me sitting in a chair. I was not able to hold my stomache and this happened several times. Fever we are not sure how come but it was a few days then they pumped me with tylenol.

Getting to my question, I am doing better but still experiencing a great amount of pain. I can not get through the night without pain med. I can not take anything with asprin (motrin, ect) so my pain meds are limited to tylenol.(which does nothing) I feel stupid asking for more pain med I am taking darvacet. How long has anyone taken pain medication and what type? I am really hurting still is this normal 10 days out? I was in hospital for 6 days because of fever low blood pressure and vomitting.

C~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Yes, it is normal to want pain meds only 10 days out. I used them until my 4th week. You will see here that there is alot of us who needed them. Some of us are still using them Don't be afraid to let DR. know how much pain you are really in..and maybe ask for something to relief inflammation as well. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Very normal to need the pain medication, in fact it will help you to heal better when you are not on high alert all the time due to pain. Not all pain meds work well on everyone. I wouldnt hesitate to ask your doctor about either upping the dose or if they are not working well with your body ask if there is an alternative or combo that might be suitable. It may just be a case of getting through the next few days and then you may feel differently also. I know the first few weeks my thoughts on pain and what to do about it waffled back and forth a bit.

As to the vomiting, sorry to hear you had to endure that, I was told that the anesthesia can do that to some people, but as a precaution I asked not to be put on morphine after the surgery (i already knew it makes me nauseus from a previous surgery) and got another pain med in my IV on demand with the little red button . I also told them before surgery that I am one of those people who gets sick real easy so they put some gravol in my IV as I woke up. I used a gravol tablet once at home about day 4 or 5 cause I was just feeling so sore that I actualy felt nauseous.

PS my pain med of choice post op has been Tramacet but I heard it can be pricey for anyone not on a drug plan. It does not bother the bowels as much as other types of narcotic pain relievers and I find it has very little side effects at all. Its a combo of Tramadol and Tylenol.

Best wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I also had my LAVH BSO on the 13th. I'm still taking my pain meds. I have gone down to one pill but I still feel pain. I'm also afraid of the Dr thinking wow she wants more! I've already gotten one re-fill and I'm going to call for more this week. I don't think its wrong if we are in pain!
Take care
Shelly
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM

I used paracetemol until week 3 during the day, and then took soemthing at night for a week. I realised I needed less when the pain didn't wake me up at night. You will naturally need less, and listen to your body...but there is no need to be in any pain.
heal well
x
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

Hi all, I understand how you're feeling about the pain meds. I absolutely hate taking them and was afraid the dr would judge me if I asked for more. Luckily for me my doctor is fantastic and told me I had to take them.

I'm just starting my 3rd week and the doctor told me to expect to take them almost to week six, as needed.

I'm still taking about 1/2 to 1 darvacet a day and it does make a difference to how I feel. There have been a couple of days where I haven't needed to take anything, thank goodness!

My pain was fairly significant until a little over my 2 week point. Now it comes and goes and I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I need to take something.

Violet, I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa
Ablation 2/19/08
TAH, vaginal fibroid removed 3/4/08
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM

I am so sorry for all the problems you had in the hospital. I had quite alot of pain in the hospital. They gave me morphine in recovery and after that I was given toradol and percocet. I was given a script for percocet which ran out in a week so I called to get it refilled today. I have had stomach issues due to years of endometriosis and taking anti-inflammatorys. Today is day 7 and I am taking 1 percocet with extra strength tylenol and it seems to keep the pain manageable. Best of luck, one day at a time.
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:36 PM

I just called for a 1st refill today, and it is almost 2 weeks for me.
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi
I am almost finished with my 7th week and still taking prescription strength motrin once or twice a day for mild pain. My doc and my internist both thought that was fine (my doc says by 3 months I won't need it except maybe for muscle soreness as I get back into exercise)>
I was taking Percocet several times a day through my second week, and occasionally into my 4th week--I used to use it toward the end of the motrin so that I had no pain as teh motrin wore off until the new motrin took effect.
My doc was quite clear that the goal is to stay ahead of the pain, that if you wait until you are in pain its a lot harder to manage.
Incidently, I also used coldpacks on my stomach at night (and occasionally during the day) until my 6th week--they really helped with both pain and swelling. I STRONGLY recommend them! I kept a small cooler by the bed and got a new one out every time I woke up.
Deb
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policymuse
Hi
Incidently, I also used coldpacks on my stomach at night (and occasionally during the day) until my 6th week--they really helped with both pain and swelling. I STRONGLY recommend them! I kept a small cooler by the bed and got a new one out every time I woke up.
Deb
Is cold packs better than heat? I've been using a heating pad. They gave me one in the hospital and it helps me. Just wondering if cold or heat is better?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register