Return to work after how long for you - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work after how long for you Return to work after how long for you

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Return to work after how long for you

I will be off work for at least 6-8 weeks. Of course my biggest issue is that I have a very physically demanding job. I am a waitress at a fine dining restaurant. We have to use trays for everything, and our trays alone weigh 8 pounds each. Then we have to be able to carry 6 plates of food on a tray. Each of our plates weigh 4 lbs (with no food). Plus all trays have to be carried at shoulder level or higher. That combined with all the walking makes my doctor say definitely at least 6-8 weeks. I may go back after 4 weeks to host. That is simply walking guests from the front door to their tables, and my managers know already that I could not help do anything else (including pouring water or helping run food). However my hostess shift would only be a couple nights a week for about 3-4 hours. It really sucks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM

I am planning to go back to work at 5.5 weeks and work half days for about 3 weeks before I go full time again. My job isn't physically demanding, but sitting up straight for long periods of time will be a big challenge for me.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM

I saw a few posts where some people went back after 2 weeks on their TLH. I feel better now I am not alone by not being able to return to work in 2 weeks. My DR is a sweethart and will authorize more time off if I tell her I need more healing time. I just wish she told me the worst case scenario also and to tell my employer somewhere in between. I am in between. I am still sore and can tolerate that, it's minor. But the lower left ab pain is intolerable. I am not a sissy either. I can take alot and during normal operating conditions do a lot . But this is just....whoha !! I am still moving around like week 1 do to the sharp pain. My employer and client are very understanding so I have no apprehensions on telling them I need more time. I can work from home too upon approval...if they really need me to. I would rather not. My desk job is not normally stressful, depends on who I am dealing with. Or, Unless there is an emergency, it depends on what I am working on. I am going to call them today to let them know I'll be out for 2 more weeks minimum. I do not want to go back untill I am at least 75% operational. I know it will take longer to get to 100%.

Your replies helped me alot. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 06:58 AM

I plan on going back somewhere between 6 and 7 weeks. I teach 1st grade and the dr said that others may go back after a few weeks, but not me, not with what I do.
It has been 15 days for me and I can't see going back yet, that's for sure. I do have to go in and do some lesson plans for the sub. Everyone is out on spring break now.
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I plan to go back at about 61/2 weeks. For right now I am enjoying being at home. It takes me at least 45 min just to take a shower and get my jammies on....never mind getting ready for work!
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:32 AM

I had an LSH on 3/12 and my doc told me 2 weeks, but I can make that longer if I am feeling like I need to. I go see him today, and plan on asking to be released on April 1. That will be almost 3 weeks. I could probably handle it now, but why push it if I don't have to.
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Hi there,
I had mine on 16 January and went back two and a half weeks later....but I work from home on a computer only 5 hours a day and I was able to split my shift so it was not 5 hours straight at the beginning. It was very tiring more than anything. Now two months later everything is great but I think if you can, you should take it easy and don't rush things.

Good luck!
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM

My doctor told me that most women start feeling better after about 2 weeks. When I asked if I could return to work after two weeks he told me no. I would need at least three weeks. Well he scheduled my post op for 4/14 and now doesn't want me going back until after that app. that will take me to right around five weeks. I am healing fine and feel pretty good but I do still tire very easily. I am currently working with my employer to try to get some work sent home for me to work for a few hours per day and then my dr only wants me to return part time at first and ease back into a full time day.
Only you and your body can determine if you are ready but don't rush it or you could do more damage than good.
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM

I'm one day shy of the three-week mark and I'm sitting here typing this from work. I teach high school chemistry and with this being the first day back from Spring Break, it's a fairly low-key day anyway as they have an overwhelming desire to catch up with their friends. Walking the halls hasn't been too rough but I'm not sure about the half-hour cafeteria duty standing and watching 500 teens feeding at the trough.

Given how much pain I was in prior to the surgery and the effects of the narcotic pain meds, I have to say that this is easy in comparison. And I was getting pretty darn bored sitting at home. And it's not like teachers make enough money that I was able to just go shopping to while away the time. It feels good to be back in the saddle and I'm sure that I'll be more tired than I'd like, but I was to the point of being absolutely wiped at the end of the day prior to surgery. At least I'll be able to fall asleep more easily at night now, since I'm getting plenty of stimulation.
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Nicole, would you mind me asking what is a TOTsling? I have tried to figure out what some of these other procedures are but I am not having much luck. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register