Return to work after how long for you - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work after how long for you Return to work after how long for you

Unread 03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Return to work after how long for you

I'm a 4th grade teacher and plan to return to work on week 5. That would be 4/21. I have just completed 2 weeks post-op and right now I'm wondering if I was too ambitious to think I could go back so soon-especially after reading all of these posts. I had a TAH with ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 08:00 PM

9909: How are you coming along? I had a TAH, how about you? My Dr. extended my recovery time to 8 weeks, so I'll be returning on the 21st. I work perdiem, and have attempted to split shifts with some other folks to no avail. I spoke with the manager, and she is agreeable to me putting myself on the CVICU's schedule to be called in for later hearts, that way I won't have to be up on my feet the whole shift! And they have really good techs in that unit, so I'll really have help when I ask for it when it's time to move a patient around! I'm really thankful for their flexibility with me!

I'm also working on a transition into neonatal ICU from adults. I worked in a NICU for 6 months a couple of years ago, and am now kicking myself for not staying a whole year to have the experience under my belt! Anyway, I'm praying for a hospital to show interest in the experience I do have, so keep me in your prayers for this!
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM

I can relate. I had my surgery February 19th. I have been compliant with treatment reccomendations but I feel very tired after taking a shower and putting on my clothes. I am going back to work Monday. I have good days and bad days. Today was a bad day for me I took a three hour nap. I can't sleep at night and usually don't get to sleep until about 4 am and up at 10 am. I went for my six week post op on yesterday and was prescribed Ambien. I am really afraid to take sleeping pills. I am going to start taking them because I need to sleep if I am going to go back to work on Monday. am a social worker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:59 AM

Sore44:

I also had a TAH and I'm taking 8 weeks off. I work in NICU and even though no heavy patients to lift, being on my feet most of the 12 hour shift is tiring. I work a full-time and a perdiem job. We also move isolettes around alot. I'm off disability by 4/9 but hoping to not start working until the following week.
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Sister 5: Do you work at a Level II or III NICU? I'm getting resume's out to go to a NICU in another state, praying for a smooth transition! When I think of moving isolettes vs. hauling heavy pts in their beds to CT and back, there's no contest!

I'm finishing-up week 6 now, and feel a lot better than I did last week. I'm still thankful for the extra 2 weeks my Dr. gave me, though!! My DH, however, is chomping at the bit for me to go back to work! He misses the additional income I guess.

dvsal: We have the same surgery date! I've been going to sleep later than normal--like midnight or 1 a.m., but I've been sleeping till 9:30 most days! I guess I need to get back into an earlier groove, but it's difficult!
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Sore44, I am feeling better and better, but still worried about 12 hour shifts at work. I see my doctor on the 7th, so between now and then I need to decide if I will be up to it at 6 weeks or if I need a little longer. Are you doing OK. I hope everything is going well.
Sister5, I hope your transition into working goes smoothly. Even without heavy patients to lift, the physical and mental stress of 12 hour nursing shifts is exhausting.
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Actually 9909, I have to say that this week I feel much better than last week. However, I want to ease my activity level back up and give my body time. Will you be OK if you take the extra time off? If so, why not? I think being more active this past week has really made a difference, but it's not the same "active" as a 12-hr. shift!
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Sore44, I will probably be OK, and I am seriously considering taking the whole 8 weeks. I guess I am just a worrier. My hospital is so small that I know they are having difficulty covering my shifts. There are less than 5 people oriented to my department that do not work in it full time. I have worked there since 1996, they are almost like a second family. On one hand, I know they are concerned about me and will not be mad, on the other hand, I feel kind of guilty.
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:59 PM

I had a TVH, AP Repair, and overlapping sphincteroplasty......I will be out 8-12 weeks. However, I do have the ability to work from home so more than likely I'll start back slow, just working from home part-time at around 6 weeks if the doc releases me for that much. Right now I'm at a little over 3 weeks......I'm no where near ready to work again. My focus and concentration is very slow and I'm tired 99% of the time. I spent most days reclining in bed 'cause one day of sitting directly on my bottom makes me sore for days after.
Unread 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everyone

Well I am a very old TAH now - coming up six years! I returned to work four weeks afte my TAH, but that is really rare!

Knowing I was going in for a TAH I really, really worked out the four months before and I was extremely fit for my op, which I felt really helped.

I did not lift a thing for three weeks after my op. Nothing. But I was going stir crazy at home. For me I was better to return to my desk job and do little, than stay at home and maybe do something dumb.

But you know your body, you know how you feel and the best advice I can offer is deal with everything as you see ok.

With much love.

xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register