Return to work after how long for you - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Return to work after how long for you Return to work after how long for you

Unread 04-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Return to work after how long for you

Thank-You for sharing your experiences.I had a laproscopic hysterecemy(kept ovaries),3/13/08.I was told I had a 10 lb.restriction for at least 6 weeks.Before surgery I thought I would go back in 2-3 weeks.Now I willbe off for at least 6(I may try to go back the begining of the 7th week.)
My job is a cook in a cafe.We have 2 cooks,myself and another lady who do the set up,prep,cooking,dishwashing and cleanup,putting everything away,and mopping the floor.The manager floats in and may do an hour total in the kitchen.(She was hired to also cook but...).I am nervous that since we are understaffed I will be thrown back into my normal routine before I am ready.We are on our feet at LEAST 7 1/2 hours.sometimes longer if we miss our breaks due to being busy with customers.
I feel guilty for staying out so long but I don't want to hurt myself by over doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 04:40 AM

I felt guilty at first, too. I thought I would at least be able to return part-time from home but that's not happening until at least six weeks. Then I'll probably be part-time from home for six weeks after that.

Don't feel guilty......you only have this time to heal properly. As women we always want to take care of everyone else. This is God's way of forcing us to take care of ourselves. When will we ever have this opportunity again???? It's too bad that it takes major surgery to give us the rest that we need but it is what it is.

Take your time and heal well.

Blessings,
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:44 AM

Thank-You.You are very wise!And that is so true we do tend to take care of everyone else. God Bless you and take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:52 AM

After extending my time off from 2 weeks to 4 weeks, I was due back to work yesterday. 4 weeks post op. I felt great Sunday (for just having a TLH) and did not do anything. Then yesterday morning reality set in, I was still sore and tender after trying to get ready. And we all know how this works, the more you move around the more pain you have. I called and extended my time off for another week. So now I will be out of work for 5 weeks. I do not feel guilty because we are slow right now. And I work for wonderful people who are understanding. I would not feel guilty if we were busy because I really cannot get to work without paying the consequences yet. I would pay $$$ to be back to normal or at least 75%. I can work but I cant get to work. It's a bit of a hike. So I am getting a handicapp parking pass which will knock about 1,000 feet off of the walk to my desk. I will still have about 600 feet to conquer.
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM

I went back to work last Wed. (the 2nd), it was 4 wks. Worked a full day and was hurting. I only did half days on Thurs and Fri and made sure I rested the rest of those days. I had my daughters Color Guard competition on Sat. and drove three hours away for it then took her on Sunday to a concert that I sat for. Went to work yesterday and made it through the whole day and the whole day today with little or no problems. I guess the best advice that I can provide is that when you start to get out, make sure you rest when you aren't working or having to be somewhere. You still need to heal. So as much as you may want to go to the gym and use the treadmill or something, if you worked that day you should probably put your feet up when you're done. I figure I have another week or so of handling things this way and hopefully will gradually be able to add more and more!!
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Hmmm I had my TVH on March 31st and it is my plan to return to work full time Monday April 14th only two weeks off. I had to use my vacation time and do not have anymore time left to use. So I am prepared for long tired days. I am feeling ok kinda blah not sure if I am ready but don't have much choice. I Think I will get a b-12 shot next week Yeah....
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Hopefully that b12 will be a shot of rocket fuel! I've had a pretty easy recovery but still found that going back to work has been tough. I'm just SO tired by the time I get home I can hardly function. Sleep disturbances every night aren't helping. I don't wish I'd taken more time off -- but I do wish I'd found a way to go back part-time at first.
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM

I feel a bit guilty saying this, but I'm only 12 days out and I started back to work today part time. I needed to get out of the house or I was going to go crazy. And, I really LOVE the people I work with and I missed them. I worked for about 3 hours today and it was good. I am happy I went in. I'm going in again tomorrow for the morning. I will probably stay home Friday, and then keep up the part time hours next week. I plan on being back full time the 21st, which will be 3 1/2 weeks post op.
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM

MarlyG

Thanks I hope so too. I am sure I will be fine. I Have a desk job and I can get up as often as I need too and stretch. one of my concerns is the parking situation. I have to park and walk a good distance. Takes me about 5 minutes to get from my car to my desk. I work 4 nine hour shifts and a half day on Wednesday. I also have my 2 week check up that day. Wonder what that visit is all about?

Best Wishes everyone
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM

sd2000 -

Don't know what you'll encounter, but my 2-week checkup was really easy. Doc just wanted to check incisions, snip a suture, and make sure I had no major complaints.

It was my first "big outing" post op, and I felt great.

It was kind of a rehearsal for going back to work - since my doctor is right around the corner from my office, which is 1-1/2 hours from home (so it was my usual commute to get to the appointment).

I treated myself to lunch and shopping afterwards. Jewelry shopping; no heavy lifting!!

Anyway, I am wishing you an equally good 2-week occasion!

At least Wed is 1/2 day for you. But take it easy doing those long shifts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register