When can we bend and need a bit more detailed info & if I can help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can we bend and need a bit more detailed info & if I can help When can we bend and need a bit more detailed info & if I can help

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
When can we bend and need a bit more detailed info & if I can help

ok, I am finally registered and want to say, this is a wonderful website! thank you to all who make it what it is! I know of it from another lady and I really need something like this as I don't really know many people to talk to @ hysterectomies...
without getting too long winded...I had a Vag. hysterectomy due to (stage 4) prolapse, along with a cystocele and rectocele on Feb 25th....all the terms really scared me and everything I found previously on the web was so general. I am 53 and an empty nester, have a great husband, and a new puppy (what were wee thinking?). All is going pretty well, today is 4 weeks. Like labor pains fade with memory-I am hoping my hospital stay will...I had 2 wonderful Dr's do the surgery and my nurses were great. I shared a room the first night and had my own the 2nd (which I really wanted both nights)....I was sick like others every time I pushed the pain button..

But for new patients, I want to say, every day does get better and you can take medicine as you need if for pain and it works. Find an outfit you love to wear so you are happy in it! I got a great soft fleece pair of brown pants and the cutest soft yellow fleece top by Blue Lemon at Neimans that I love and wear a v neck lace trimmed soft T by hanro with it...it is not pajamas but a nice hanging around outfit so we don't look so pathetic to anyone seeing
us...oh, and forget the bra for now...I also got 5 short sleeved t-shirts at a polo outlet for $14. that I also wear everyday with a v-neck sweater..so between these two looks, one for the house and one for going out, I feel well-dressed but soooo comfortable and can wear them both everyday....

My recovery is 12 weeks for everything. I can drive now as
long as I am not on medicine..and that has worked fine.

one mistake I made was this: my 2 daughters wanted to come to town and help right away and I foolishly thought it would be better if they came the following week for a long week-end. I did not want them to see me so pathetic or sickly (what did I know?) or miss work for me.

well, think again if anyone ponders this: it would have been much nicer and easier to have a daughter help you out than a husband who does not know how to cook a thing. Even though my H has been great and has done so much, he would have loved the extra TLC a daughter would have brought...so next time, think this through better. It saved the day when suddenly we had meals brought to us for the next 5 nights! I never would have thought I would appreciate anything so much! Even though I cooked for the freezer for 2 months-mostly soups-these meals were the most thoughtful, delicious meals!!!!

remember to cook for friends, in future..what goes around comes around...

I don't seem to see anyones info who had the same surgery as I did so I would love to hear any feedback from a similar surgery-cystocele, rectocele and I had the uterus and overaies and tubes removed.....it sounds so scary but I was able to leave after the 2nd night in hospital without a catheter-high 5 for that! And my Dr said which was very helpful when trying to go the first time...RELAX, and pretend you are blowing bubbles with a wand..so that was a good visual for me and it really worked!! THough I have NEVER been constipated in my life (take medicine to slow me down in fact-for a spastic colon) I am taking a stool softener which is working fine....

I was dying for a bath in the 2nd week and before I discovered this site-saw an English website where they had baths so I sneaked one and can not understand WHY we shouldn't have one as long as I just sit-love the heat of it, it's cold and winter here-and don't use bubble bath etc...so I told my DR and he talked to me about it and It seems ok...I just don't want to make any mistakes and need to redo anything and my situation,according to the websites, is not always permanent....prolapsed parts can fall again it seems..

I wish I had more info on what to do and not to do so I don't goof. I didn't realize until the 2nd week, no bending or reaching...so I hope I didn't...I am able to play with a puppy though...(she is now a 10# spaniel and I sit in a chair and get her to jump halfway to me)...I have a lot of energy and appetite! The main part for me has been no sports for 12 weeks and I will surely obey everything I am told. just hope I didn't bend already too much...but isn't sitting in a bed a similar position to bending to pick up kleenex? and when can we...if it feels ok?

now, since I wrote this today, I got something from my sister-it is a thing to pick things up with so now I don't have to bend or reach-but I am at 4 weeks..should I keep using it I wonder? It is really fun to use and I wish I had it right after surgery....does anyone know?...I just have no idea how I am healing inside as I feel fine...hmmmm

see, I do get too long winded...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:26 PM

My doctor gave me absolutely no restrictions on bending or stretching so I've been doing it from the second I could. The only thing he said was "if it hurts, stop and don't do it again !"
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM

You don't want to do excessive bending because of the internal stitches...
I didn't hurt much either but the swelly belly gets in my way... It's just that I have heard so much about adhesions forming if you tear something just a bit and then there is the chance of internal bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 10:22 PM

thanks for the response. If I didn't have the H done abdominally do you think it is different for me? I never heard a thing about adhesions until I saw this website, that is how little information they give us.... hope you are feeling better..
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM

I think adhesions are (a) less common then this website you lead you to believe and (b) that they don't always cause problems. I think that's the reason that our doctors don't tell us much about them.
I trust my doctor completely and he never said "don't bend" - he said to listen to my body. For the first couple of weeks I COULDN"T bend over, even if I wanted to - physically impossible. After that I could bend lower and lower and now its not an issue at all and I've been bending "at will" for over a week (I'm about 5 days behind you).
AND I'm at a greater risk of getting adhesions since I had Stage4 Endo throughout my pelvis .... even given all that my doctor didn't tell me to restrict my bending. BUT he knew me and my specific situation.

you might want to call your doc and get his/her thoughts on bending specific to your own situation.
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM

well, thanks a lot for the info..It is surely nice to get feedback from people in a similar situation..just came from visiting my sister in law's daughter (29) in the hospital with a brain tumor that will now be operated on tomorrow (it is cancerous and not looking good) so it makes my recovery nothing suddenly in comparison.

I feel so great and tomorrow I see my OB for the one month. Hopefully all is well. He had sent me to another, and much younger surgeon who did half the surgery for me and he is the one who said no bending or reaching...think its from the cistocele and/or rectocele perhaps...though I am happy I feel so great..its even getting sunny here and the snow is melting!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register