Bladder/Leakage/Young and Embarrased | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder/Leakage/Young and Embarrased Bladder/Leakage/Young and Embarrased

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Bladder/Leakage/Young and Embarrased

Hello.
I have seen a couple of posts on here about this but nobody has really answered any of the questions or concerns. My recovery is going very well. My pain has subsided to only one dose of motrin per day. I thought I was seeing the light a bit brighter at the end of the tunnel but it now seems to have moved.

This morning I had the urge to pee. I held it in and shouldn't have. When I got up I peed. Soaked my pad. Got to the bathroom and finished up. Second time today it happened. I had the urge to go, went to the toilet only to start going before I sat down. Now a third time today. I stood up to head to the bathroom only to go a little on my pad. Not as bad as the first two times but still went. Didn't even know it was coming. I know for a fact that it is pee because it was warm and smelled of urine.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I am only 12 days post op but was feeling so good about my recovery. I was doing so well and looking forward to getting out of the house this week. Now with this happening I don't know if I can go into public places for too long without peeing my pants.

I am only 32 years old and this is embarrising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoals

I am only 32 years old and this is embarrising.
I know how that feels. I'm 32, and pee'd myself for a year before finally going to the doctor. It's very embarrassing.

My hyst was for pelvic floor disfunction, prolapse, etc. My doc put my bladder up in a sling during the hyst, and I haven't leaked even a drop since. It's wonderful. I know a hyst can weaken the muscles, so maybe you need the sling?

Hang in there. I know how you feel. Talk to your doc and see what your options are.
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Also, make sure that you don't have a bladder infection, because that turned out to be why *I* was having difficulty controlling my bladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Sorry for the experience you are having. My doc did a TOT sling at the same time of my hyster for 14 years of incontinance. I never mentioned it to a doc till the day we went to schedule surgery....so we had to postpone to get the Uro/Gyn involved. I just turned 32 this month.

Please call your doctor and let him/her know what is going on. If he/she needs to they can refer you to a urologist to get that taken care of.

It is the best part of the hyster for me. Not leaking or having to change clothes several times a day.
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:30 AM

Hi endoals
I'm sorry you're having to deal with the leaking. My experience has been with stress incontinence, but I'm not sure that's what you have going on here. I agree you should call and ask your dr to check it out so you can know what is causing your problem.

I have seen women experience this as a temporary condition due to swelling from their surgery and it did clear up as they healed. The muscles in the pelvic floor can also become weakened and cause some of this. Kegel exercises are a good thing for most all of us and will often help alleviate these problems. You could begin some of those if you haven't, to see if that will help.

Bottom line, you should call and let your dr tell you what's causing this so you can deal with it appropriately. Don't lose heart, you are very early in your recovery and this will probably work itself out. Please let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for your kind words. I put a call into my dr's office lastnight. I just finished up taking an anti. for a bladder infection, was on it for five days. Had only a few incidence with it yesterday. Had no leakage through the night but was up a lot to pee - around five times or so. Had that feeling of a full bladder but only peeing a little at a time. It was pretty annoying lastnight. Didn't sleeep much. I'm not sure if this is a permanent problem for me or just recovery for the bladder. No problems today so far. I am going normally but still seem to be going more frequently. Maybe the five days of anti didn't clear the UTI. I will await a phone call from my dr's office to see what he has to say but I can pretty much guess that it is part of the recovery efforts. I am doing so well other than this little set back and I have decided today to not let it get me down. I am trying to get back into a somewhat normal routine. Putting in contacts, getting dressed and just doing some general chores around the house. It could also be from the fact that I have sat pretty still and sedentry for nearly two weeks and over the past few days I have started to become more active. I will keep you posted on what my dr has to say.
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Don't feel embarrassed. I had the same problem. I had to wear those Poise for a while. Plus I had bladder infection and then UTI. I also got bronchitis too that made me want to cough non-stop. I am now getting better and it is starting to stop a little. I still wear a little something on my underwear for daily protection. But it is just what to expect. I have had to children and did not think about the Bladder Sling at surgery. I might go back later this year and have that done. Right now I want to recover from this major surgery. I am 7 weeks post op. It is okay. Just be patient. Some of us are going through it too. It is okay.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM

I spoke with my dr's office just minutes ago. The nurse suggested that I continue drinking my cranberry juice and water. NO soda or milk for now and then I will be seen by the dr on Thursday of this week. I feel this is just a healing thing and maybe I am doing too much. It seems to only leak when I am upright and active and today it has only leaked a couple of times a very small amount. They are worried about infection - even though I just came off of an antibiotic - that antibiotic may not have been the right potion to fix the problem. Have to wait the couple of days because 1 my dr is in surgery tomorrow and 2 because I was on an anti. for five days if they do a urine test too soon it may be masked by the medication and give a false negative.
I will wait it out until Thursday and then see the dr. In the meantime I will remove soda from my diet again and just drink water and cranberry juice. Thanks for all of your support. I have to say, this is so far the worst I have had to deal with post op. I feel good other than the worry about embarrising myself.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Also, let me add. In doing some research I found that it is possible to have urine leakage with illness/bladder infection/vaginal infection. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that mine is caused by one or more of the following above.....and is easily treatable.
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM

I am so greatful for this site! I am 49, had TVH, anterior vag repair and bladder sling. Two days ago I noticed that my bladder didn't want to empty. I have to hang out, shift position, etc until it is done. After reading this thread, I'm calling my Dr. tomorrow!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register