anyone heard of MORPHINE NOT working ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone heard of MORPHINE NOT working ?? anyone heard of MORPHINE NOT working ??

Unread 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
anyone heard of MORPHINE NOT working ??

hello girls ! i AM HERE , had my surgery 3/21/08 and got home 3/24/08 wow what a mess, They found out more than we bargained for when they opened me up ,, i had a fibroid larger than a babies head that was lurking and hid on the ultrasound, more cysts than exected and to make matters way worse - everthing was covered by endomitriosis which we had NO clue was going to be there - also adhesions had formed sticking my uterus to my bowels, and my ovaries were growing into and had pushed back into my bowels and spine ! they had to call a 2nd surgeon in to help, so they could hurry before too much blood loss.. because remember my Iron and Hemo count was too low ! geesh ! i sure hope to feel LOTS better finding all that out ! more when i get time, oh ps.. i think im the only wierdo that Morphine doesnt work on , it took them 5 hours to figure that out after i got out of recovery until they switched me to dilated ! eek -- i was freaking out after surgery in so much pain till they figured that out ! then they stopped the dilated when they took the iv pump out after the first evening they said they wanted to switch me to orals ! so they switched me too, perkasets.. which didnt work, so now we are trying Loratabs ? so wish me luck, just want to Rest pain free ! I am home now, and its a lot more than i bargained for, I feel like i havent had good rest, since coming out of surgery and feeling EVERYTHING cause of them using the Morphine which didnt work, then trying other meds that didnt relieve the pain.. now Im home, i am afraid to ask for more,, but Im almost out, and need them to " shower, do laundry and get rest " ... am I just plain crazy ??? how do you all feel ?

Unread 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM

I am sorry you had such an ordeal at the hospital. I was started on dilaudid right after my surgery so I don't know about the morphine issue, but it did take several bolus' of extra pain meds to get mine under control. If you are still in pain and are out of meds you need to call the Dr. and get a refill. You are still new out from surgery, I am sure you will not have any problem.. I am surprised you didn't get more to begin with. I hope you find relief soon.
Janelle
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Morphine didn't work for me either. The Dr. gave it to me in the OR and then the nurses in pre-op gave me more. My pain level didn't decrease and it also made me slightly nauseous. Finally they gave me a shot of Demerol, that did the trick. I took percocet when I got home, but if I understand right, it is one of the least strong pain meds.

Hope you feel better soon. YOu really have a lot to recover from so take it easy, at least for a few days. Laundry might be a no, no. Definitely ask for more pain meds. if you need them. You will recover faster if you can control the pain so you can move around and rest comfortably. This early in your recovery you shouldn't have a problem getting more meds. I think
they aren't able to give refills on some drugs and have to treat them as a new prescription. Good Luck.
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM

okay i understand the wet laundry - your right, but even with showering and every day moving around, i have a 3 story house, it seems i have to climb stairs to do anything,, it just whew,, wears me out.. sorry to gripe, but do you girls know of a " better " one ? the Lortabs are somewhat working, but like i said Im almost out, and am afraid to try something that mite not work, i sure didnt know this could happen to someone,,! having to " try " their pain meds out first,, oh also I had to go ahead and have the blood transfusion done before we came home, now i finally have some energy to get stuff done, and my body wont cooperate ! lol I'll take all the suggestions i can get at this point... thanks girls !
isnt life FUNNY !!
Hugs to you all !!!
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:47 AM

YES I just read a study last week about this...search google. Something about the meds they give you to wake you and calm the vomiting before waking up in combination with getting very high doses of morphine can have a counteracting effect.... Instead now some PACU units start with much smaller doses of morphine every 4 min over a longer period of time.

I have had several surgeries where I would wake up in excruciating pain even with getting Morphine for pain before awaking. The last time I had a severe reaction to morphine and had trouble breathing. So no more Morphine for me. This time with my hyster things could not have gone smoother, no waking to crying and whaling and alert! I know it was not demerol...I cannot remember the name of it now.

PS they also changed my shots that next morning because I was back in pain after an hour not really being able to rest comfortably. Once they changed to percoset...there was no looking back.
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Nope, you're not the only weirdo Morphine doesn't do a thing to me and never has. Dilaudid makes me tired so that I don't care as much, but doesn't affect the pain, either. The only thing I've had any luck with is IV Toradol and lots of it.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM

That was it TORADOL that worked for me too...thanks Suferbabe I just couldn't remember off hand.
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Morphine works fine for me, but Dilaudid works faster! Lol. However, you're not a weirdo because morphine doesn't work for you! I've had IV Fentanyl (which is supposed to be 10 times stronger than morphine) and it doesn't do a thing for me!

However, if the Lortabs aren't sufficiently relieving your post-op pain, call your doc and request Dilaudid. Yes, it's available in tablet form. Supposedly, it's stronger than Percoset, though Percoset works better for me, personally. BTW, Percoset is closely related to morphine, so if morphine doesn't work for you, it's no surprise that Percoset wouldn't, either. What surprises me is that while IV Dilaudid is very effective for me, the tablets aren't, so much.

But, in short, if you're not getting adequate pain relief, ask to try something else!! There are a lot of options out there, it's a question of finding the right one for you!
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Have they tried HYDROmorphine? It is also known as Dilaudid.

It is strong than morphine and it a decent alternitive.

Demerol is another one comparable.

Trust me I have WAY TOO MUCH experience in pain management.

Tramadol is worthless.
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Dilaudid is Hydromorphone (with an "o", not an "i") hydrochloride. It is faster-acting and eight times stronger than morphine. Several of us mentioned having tried it.

Demerol (meperidine, or pethidine) is quite different, and most often used during labor & delivery and delivered parenterally rather than via IV. It has a lot of distinct advantages, including anti-spasmodic properties and the fact that it's not constipating:

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-a...3_page008.html

Tramadol (actually tramadol hydrochloride) is about 1/10 as potent as morphine. Of course, if you used 10 times as much, the effect would be the same.

Fentanyl is approx. 8 times as strong as morphine (and doesn't work for me, either ).

I get absolutely NO relief from any of these opioids. All it is is trying to mask the pain by numbing the brain, imho. The anti-inflammatories (Toradol is a strong one available IV and orally, though to take it orally you are supposed to have already had it IV first) at least attempt to address the cause of the pain.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register