Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies? Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies?

Unread 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies?

Hello girls:

A decade or so ago, hysterectomies were strictly done abdominally. However, with modern technology being what it is, there are now much less invasive methods available.

I'm one of the few sisters in my Post-op Progress group that had a TVH. My doctor told me that since I'd had a child (which I believe causes the uterus to drop) and my uterus was normal size, I was a candidate for a TVH.

I'm astounded at the number of women in our sisterhood who've had TAH. I realize that we all have different circumstance, but aren't more doctors out there doing everything they can to take the least invasive approach possible?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 01:36 PM

My Dr and I discussed the options and he wanted to do a less invasive one. I had a LAVH BSO. He said I would not do well with a large cut across my abdomen and he wanted to deliver the uterus through my vagina. I get adhesions so I was glad that he was thinking of me when we made this decision. He said that he could do a vaginal hysterectomy but it was like working in a tunnel. So we settled on a LAVH BSO.
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM

I think a great deal more women are dealing with cancer or pre-cancerous issues... Probably due to hormones in our food chain... Just my humble opinion... But with cancer they need to get a better view of what is going on inside...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM

I have never had children, and I had large fibroids, and a TAH was never discussed. My dr. only does TVH anymore. He says that the recovery is so much easier on the woman. He would rather have the surgery be a bit harder on him
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Tah

Hi, my understanding from my doctor was that a TAH has to be preformed in the cases where the uterus is too large to pass through the vagina. Also the TAH provides an opportunity to see and address any other issues that maybe going on that are not visible to the ultrasound.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

I had a TAH because as nebnef mentioned, my uterus was enlarged. It was like triple the size of a normal uterus so that's why I had to have it done abdominally.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM

I could have had a laprascopic surgery but the surgeon said if I go in there and I can't tell if there is cancer then we'll need to do a TAH later on. I had the choice of two surgeries and I decided one TAH was best. The doctor really didn't want to do it the other way anyway because he was rather concerned he couldn't 'see' what was going on and look after any issues. Luckily for me there was no cancer and now I have a belly pouch for my trouble Could be a lot worse.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I know for me, I waited to long. I knew I had fibroids, I knew the bleeding was bad, tried a few other options and then all of a sudden it's been 10 years (I'm 42 now). Guess what? Uterus is pushed to far farward, fibroids are the size of small organs. Had I done it when I should have, I probably wouldn't have had to have a TAH, but I was in my early 30 with small children. It just wasn't a priority.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

I had LTH due to enlarged UT. 8 times larger than normal. My DR took it out in sections. Size didnt matter in my case. There was no threat of cancer before having the procedure done. I asked how it could be done laperoscopically if it was that large. I was told "you'd be surprised what they can remove through laperoscopy". There was no question it would be done this way. At first we thought it was a cyst, it ended up being severe adenomyosis. The worst case of this she had ever seen and she performed many hysterectomies. So I guess my UT will be the talk of the medical town ?
Unread 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM

My surgery was supposed to be a TVH but once he started the surgery he had to convert to a TAH. It wasn't so much the fibroids as the fact that my bowels were actually adhered to my uterus because of the endo we didn't know I had.
BTW - my uterus was 356 gr (versus the normal size of 60 - 70 gr) and I've never had children, so those weren't the show stoppers for a TVH for my doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register