Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies? Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies?

Unread 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Why are so many sisters having abdominal hysterectomies?

After my appt with my Gyn - he had the ultrasound results by then, and had examined me - we discussed the type of surgery.

I had already been on this site for a bit, and I asked about laporascopic (sp?) surgery. He said that wasn't his method, but he had colleauges that he would gladly send me to to discuss if that method was applicable.

I went with the SAH - kept ovaries. Even with the vertical incision, the fibroid was wider than expected, and they had a hard time getting it out and clamping the blood vessels at the same time - I almost needed a transfusion.

My uterus was an 18-week size, and the fibroid was within the wall of the uterus - touching all other organs and mildly adhered to one ureter. With the fibroid that size, I am glad I had the incision type of surgery!

I am glad I had the SAH so he could see EVERYTHING that was in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr5
Hello girls:

A decade or so ago, hysterectomies were strictly done abdominally. However, with modern technology being what it is, there are now much less invasive methods available.

I'm one of the few sisters in my Post-op Progress group that had a TVH. My doctor told me that since I'd had a child (which I believe causes the uterus to drop) and my uterus was normal size, I was a candidate for a TVH.

I'm astounded at the number of women in our sisterhood who've had TAH. I realize that we all have different circumstance, but aren't more doctors out there doing everything they can to take the least invasive approach possible?

Thanks for your input!

Hey, Well here my lil on this...I have no clue what size mine was...I only know they said it was a very large uterus and pushed to the back (instead of like most pushed to the front) but, I had a TVH 2 1/2 weeks ago and its been a rough road but,nothing compared to if I would have had a TAH...and I have had 2 (back to back) Bikini cut cessarians 10 yrs ago...So I am guessing it might be similar in nature as far as the abdominal walls and tissue healing up...but, I dont remember this much pain and discomfort inside afterwards either...I also had a canadian clamp tubal during my last c cection...Back In 1995 I had first stage Cervical cancer and was fortunate enough to have caught it in time and it was a small area that most of the biopsy removed and the chyrosurgery was done after the biopsy results came back and luckily for me it worked...I have been Cancer free for almost 13 yrs...Just 4 months ago my GYN did a D & C to attempt to fix my problem which was abnormal excessive bleeding...she tested my uterine wall and found an endometrial infection that can...untreated develop into Uterine cancer apparently and my grandmother just 3 months ago had a TAH with other stuff removed bc of a more advanced stage of uterine cancer so my risks had increased that I was high risk for developing either...I am already at risk cancer wise period bc my father died of a cancerous brain tumor...and I have my first post op appt tommorrow...I'm almost scared after reading some of the stuff on these boards...also a lady I know that recently had a L/TVH and removal of her last ovary and she had hers about 3 weeks before mine...and she now has a hernia from the surgery apparently...I didnt know that was possible really and it scares me now...what if I over did it? argh...anyways...From what I have heard doesnt sound like I was a candidate but, I guess since they didnt find any cancer during the D & C...that I was ok to do the TVH...lol didnt mean to get long winded on ya...
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Hi all

I had to have a TAH due to very large fibroids and my uterus was to large to do a TVH, my doc. gave me other choices but I chose the adbominal Im glad i did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:44 AM

i had a tah because my doctor said it was best to get in there with the size of the tumor and not knowing if i had endo for sure. they suspected. i had so much scar tissue my uterus was attached to my bladder with it, so even if they started the other way they probably would have ended up that way. she told me they just felt more comfortable getting a good view of what was going on and that was my best option. i agreed.
Unread 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM

I had to have a TAH due to the size of the cysts and my uterus. They also wanted to be able to get to other areas in case biopsies needed to be done due to an elevated CA125 test. My incision also ended up going around my belly button and an inch above it...I was told it would just come up to it. So everything was larger than expected. So now I have a nice anchor looking area with my hyster scar and c-section scar. ;-)
Unread 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Dear Joann, I had the same exact situation. I was scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy, but when they went inside, all of my organs were stuck together. A section of the uterus was stuck to the bowels. The ovaries were stuck to the uterus etc. I would up with a vertical incision because the doctor needed as much room as possible to work. I had endometriosis in my 20's;was treated;had one child, and never gave it another thought.
Unread 04-05-2008, 03:15 PM

I unfortunately had endo and I had a number or organs that had adhered to one another. It was causing me a great deal of pain. TAH was the only option for me because of all the "corrective work" I had to have done.
Unread 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM

After examining me, my DR said it would be best for me to have an abdominal because my uterus was enlarged and distorted and my vaginal canal was not big enough. I had never had any children and he said that makes a huge difference. He said it would be easier for him to see and remove everything abdominally. That's why I had mine.
Unread 04-06-2008, 04:45 PM

I am glad I had a TAH. My uterus was enlarged with multiple fibroids. I felt it was better for the doctor to have a clear view of all the organs involved. especially the bladder. It also seemed that most of the women who had post-op problems (that posted on my surgery date forum) had had a vaginal hysterectomies.
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM

My doctor did a TAH because I had not had any children. His secondary reason was for more room with the endo, but he said the main reason and primary reason was because I had not had any children. There simply was not enough "room".
I am sure this is individual per doctor/patient/hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register