Weight Gain/Weight Loss | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain/Weight Loss Weight Gain/Weight Loss

Unread 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

Back in October 2007 when this whole process started, of course, I was given the standard speech about the benefits of losing weight before surgery. I wanted to do it anyway and I just ran with it. I started eating right and going to the gym on a regular basis. From mid-October until I went in for surgery two weeks ago I had managed to loose 30 pounds. I still ate out, still had special treats, and really didn't adjust that much. I just cut out fast food, cut back on junk food, and made wiser choices.

Anyhow, my whole philosophy was if I'm going into the hospital to have a 14 week sized uterus removed from my body plus all the other work I had done, I'm bound to come out weighing even less. So one of the first things I did when I got home was get on the scale......WHAT.....I had gained 10 pounds. How could this be possible????

Well, it must of been fluid or something, 'cause now I'm down 4 more pounds since BEFORE my surgery. I'm not trying to lose any right now because I need to heel but I really don't want all of this bedrest to put me too much in the hole. So, I'm still keeping an eye on it.

How 'bout y'all??? Any stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

I didn't get onto the scale until 3 wks after my surgery. I was (supposedly) about "even" according to my scale at home. Last week when I had my 4 wk post op appt I weighed myself on my doctors scale -- according to his scale I gained 7 lbs since surgery (well, actually 8 lbs since what he removed weighed almost a pound). I'm hoping that like you it turns out to be water retention or something because I'm NOT happy about gaining so much weight (I'm a pipsqueak - 4 ft 10 and WAS 105 lbs). My swelly belly (which my doctor says is NOT swelling) tells me that there is indeed swelling - its still hurts when I press on it - seems like swelling would be only natural. I'm thinking that the stool softener and daily laxative is also causing me to retain water.
BTW - congrats on your weight loss ! that's fantastic work !
Unread 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

I lost 10 lbs. from my surgery. I got sick 4 times in the hospital and had no appetite for the first couple of days. Now I've gain 3 lbs over the weekend! I better becarful I'll be huge by the time I'm done recovering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

Here's my weight saga. When I did the dreaded bowel prep, I weighed myself right before - 140 lb. I'm 5' 4 1/2", so I could stand to lose the perennial 5 lb. The next day (day of surgery), I weighed 136. Then at the hospital I weighed 134.7 - woo hoo! Tough way to lose it, though. So when I got home, basically hadn't eaten for 3+ days, I really thought I would be scraping bottom. Imagine my shock when the scale read 147!!! Of course, I had baby wrists and slitty eyes - talk about fluid retention but 14 lb??? Basically I peed most of it off over the next few days, in spite of bladder spasms, and ended up around 135. Of course, now that appetite has returned, I'm nudging 140 again. I'm hoping when I get back to the gym and moving around more, maybe some pounds will come off - I do look smaller, though, except for the remnant of swelly-belly
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

When I first came home from the hospital, I had gained about 4 pounds.

Now at 4 weeks post op, I am down about 3 pounds before pre op. I am eating smaller meals than normal and snack less, but it feels better on the swelly belly than larger meals!
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

I keep forgetting about the bowel prep....I had that too. I had to drink 4 liters of that awful tasting GoLytely stuff, liquid diet the two days prior to surgery, Fleet enema the night before and the morning of surgery. Even with that I still came outof the hospital weighing 10 more pounds than I did when I went in. I'm just glad it went away! LOL
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Weight Gain/Weight Loss

Weight is a verra funny thing aye?

I was 125 when I went in the hospital, didn't eat for three days and when I got home I was 135...I was totally upset. About a week or so after that I was back to 122, and then by two weeks post-op I was 118 which is where I've been since. I was 122 when I decided to have the surgery Jan 31 so that is a 4 lb loss.

I'm not looking to loose any more, and I'm not looking to gain until I get back to the gym. I know when my energy is 100 percent I'll need more caloric intake to sustain my muscle mass.

I think the added weight at the start is all the fluid the build up from trauma.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register