Anyone still not sleeping? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone still not sleeping? Anyone still not sleeping?

Unread 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Anyone still not sleeping?

One thing that I have noticed, is I am over stimulated by all the TV and computer time (and the fact that I can't do any thing else.) Two days ago I started a new rule "no tv after 10 and I must read...a book" I really has been helping me to relax, and get the heavy eyes and tired on your own feeling. Today i am taking it one step further and turning off the tv from 12 -2. Just to re-learn how to enjoy quite time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM

You can get L-Theanine at the health food stores, (I thought the regular pharma had it but I was mistaken) but be carefull to get the stuff that is all or mostly L-theanine, there are a few brands that have green tea extract which is not the same thing even though L-theanine is a compound found in tea. I have the other stuff with valarian root also but I find it bugs my tummy, so the L-theanine is the only thing I have found that has the same relaxing effect on me and I dont notice any other side effects at all. I take one or two about an hour before bed, then I read till I feel drowsey.

The stuff I buy is 150 mg per cap, with 60 capsules per bottle at CAD$23.99, I bet it is a lot cheaper in USD, these sort of products usually are.

cheers,
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM

I agree with Volleyball, the TV an Puter are definately not helpfull with the whole insomnia delema. I have to shut it all down at least 2 or 3 hours before bed or I end up bug eyed for hours past my bedtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Here are some things that are supposed to work:

Calcium (thus the warm milk before bed routine)
Melatonin (mentioned several times)
Camomille tea
Make your room as DARK as possible; if you have to get up to pee try to do it without opening your eyes--keeps the melatonin (natural sleep chemical) levels high.

Just an FYI on Tylenol PM and others. From my reading the labels, it appears that the sleep aid in alot of OTC sleep meds is nothing more than benadryl.

Another couple of things that work for me, as a Christian, are to either pray for my lost friends/family or to quote scripture that I have memorized or am trying to memorize. I get the added benefit of falling asleep talking to the One that never sleeps or slumbers. If He is going to be on watch, then I might as well relax and get some sleep!

teresa
TAH due to fibroids; kept ovaries; 03/06
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsmurphy81
if you have to get up to pee try to do it without opening your eyes--keeps the melatonin (natural sleep chemical) levels high.
Something I read in a pregnancy magazine back when I was expecting, that goes hand-in-hand with this: if you wake up in the middle of the night, don't lay in bed for as long as you can, trying to convince yourself you don't have to get up to pee! Lol. The time you spend laying awake only allows you to wake up even more. As soon as you realize you have to pee, ideally while you're still half asleep, get up and go do it! Try to do it without waking up any more than absolutely necessary. You'll find it easier to get back to sleep faster.
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:48 PM

I couldn't sleep before my hyst. and now, 3 dAYS POST OP.. I STILL CAN'T SLEEP! I am so emotional too.. is this normal?
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison0802
I couldn't sleep before my hyst. and now, 3 dAYS POST OP.. I STILL CAN'T SLEEP! I am so emotional too.. is this normal?
I started on estrogen patches right away, and have not been overly-emotional, but I understand it's not unusual to be that way.
Unread 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks so much for letting me know.
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Last Saturday I stayed up until 6am trying to sleep. At one point DH and both dogs were snorring. I swear they did it on purpose! I went and layed on the couch and of course the cat couldn't sleep either and snuggled up to me and went to sleep. I'm going for my 3 week check up tomorrow and am going to ask to get back on ambien. I had no problems taking it before and always woke up refreshed. I've been on Vivelle since day one and don't have any other problems aside from night sweats, but that's due to the hubby turning the heat up to 72.
Unread 04-02-2008, 12:22 AM

I have had a hard time sleeping thru the night for years now. I wake around 3 am, & just lay there. I found that running a humidifier helps, the white noise drowns out other noises that might wake me, (like DH snoring). Also, a glass of warm milk, with a splash of vanilla extract & a sprinkle of nutmeg helps. On night I really need to sleep well, I will take a Lorazepam. I wake refreshed without feeling groggy. When I tried Ambien, I loved how it worked, but after a few weeks, I had some trouble remembering common words like cheese. LOL I'm going to go try the L-theanine though, that sounds great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register