Released to return to work after TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Released to return to work after TAH/BSO Released to return to work after TAH/BSO

Unread 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Released to return to work after TAH/BSO

On Mon. 3/17/08 my dr did a TAH & BSO on me.
Month before he did a D&C and endometrial ablation
due to my heavy and continuous periods. During that
surgery, he found pre cancerous cells and told me I
needed a TAH. He also told me he needed to remove both of my ovaries, due to my past history of breast cancer.

This surgery went well. Dr said there is NO cancer and I am cured.

In the meantime, I called his ofc yesterday and left a message with his nurse. I told her to tell Dr that I was
doing great and anxious to drive and get back to work.
I told her that my boss is willing to let me come back as
soon as Dr releases me; however, I will only have to sit at
my desk and answer telephone.
The Dr sent word back to me that I could start driving now and I could return back to work as long as I did nothing
more than sit at desk and answer phone. Absolutely NO lifting!
I am in a state of shock at how fast I am recovering and also in shock that my Dr has released me this quick. He told his nurse that I am progressing very well and I am an
exceptional patient.
I did run some errands today. But I haven't made my mind up yet whether I will just wait til next week to return to work. I live alone and need the income. Monday I will be out of sick and vacation days.
All my friends and family are totally amazed at how well I have done. It makes me feel good. I feel like a Hero, but
I am so scared that I will have a setback if I'm not careful.
Then I won't feel like a Hero at all.
Has anyone else bounced back like me? It's a great feeling, but very scary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2008, 09:26 PM

I actually didn't feel all that bad until almost 2 weeks out. Then I ended up with complications (a hematoma) and was in excruciating pain. Now I am able to do small things here and there, but not much at a time or I pay for it. I will bleed a little more or have some pain.

You really should take it easy and rest as much as possible as you can build up scar tissue that can come back to haunt you in the future.

I am glad you are feeling so good. Even a little jealous! Ok, maybe a LOT jealous!
Unread 03-26-2008, 04:15 AM

Hi cmag012364

WOW - At 2 weeks out I was still married to Mr. Foley Catheter (my bladder got knicked).

I read your post and understand your desire/need to go back to work. The only thing that I would say is please, Please, PLEASE be careful and take it slow.

Blessings on you for a continued smooth recovery....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Back to work

Today is week 3 since my surgery. I too had a hematoma. If mine had not risen to the surface, I would not of known I even had it other that severe constipation. It would have been bleeding more on the inside. I went back to work yesterday. I did not do too much but was exhausted. I can understand you wanting and needing to go back but please be careful. You really don't know what is going on from the inside. I left the hospital without even a bruise. And if it were not for the hematoma I would have gone back to work the following week. In a way I think it slowed me down so I am more conscious of taking care of my self. Just promise us that you will not overdo it. Your fellow sisters care and from what I have read it is not worth complications in the future. Oh yeah you probably don't even realize how light 10 lbs. really is. My teacher's manual is 7 lbs. My purse is actually 9 and a half (my DH has been weighing things) Good thing he isn't weighing me. Good luck and take it easy.
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM

I too am feeling great. Today is day 13. I actually coached soccer practice last night, which I think wasn't a really great idea. I am having a really hard time not doing things. I have 3 kids(plus the big one, dh) and my house is a mess. I feel like the vaccume stares at me all day. I started driving on Mon.(day 11).
I do have a question about having a hematoma. I am having a pulling pain on the left side kinda of like where you would have ovulation pain. It comes and goes and does get worse if I am up doing a lot. Any thoughts?

Tara
36yo,TAH/BSO, fibroids and endo
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM

OMG I am day 13 and still in BED. I get tired from my big outing I take each day to my downstairs!
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:41 AM

Wow!!!! I can't believe your dr released you so soon. I asked to go back to work after 2 weeks and my dr. said absolutely not. I am at my two week anniversary today. I am finally released to drive and wouldn't of even thought of driving before today. Too much stress on the incision site to wear the seatbelt and heaven for bid I was in an accident. I am feeling pretty good myself right now. Incision site causes me only some discomfort towards the end of the day and I am down to only one dose of Motrin in the evenings. However, I am going to the dr tomorrow for a set back. I am now leaking urine. Not sure what is going on. Nurse thinks it may be as simple as a kidney infection but from reading on here it could be anything. Will find out tomorrow. I know what you mean about the money. I live with my hubby and we are struggling to make ends meet right now. I am hoping my disability kicks in because my dr doesn't want me to return to work until after my post op which is 4/14. If you go back please be careful and listen to your body.
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:50 AM

My doctor would LOVE you ! He told me I might be able to go back to work at week 3 depending upon how I was feeling. I'm 5 weeks post op today and this week was the first week I felt I MIGHT be able to put in a few hours here and there - I seriously doubt I could put in a full day productively without making mistakes.

Be careful driving. I drove for the first time 3 weeks post op and was in real pain afterward. Turning around to see behind me while changing lanes and pressing on the brakes really took a toll.

I hope you get to be a true hero and that everything goes spendidly for you !
Unread 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM

I am also five weeks yesturaday and there is no way I am ready for work full time.I had a total vag.hyst. and bladder surgury on the same day. My Dr and I are still trying to get my hormones under control. I lost both ovaries also. Do what your BODY says and don't rush. Once you are back they expect you to do everything.Take care Lynn
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:53 PM

cmag:
I felt great at about 8 days, but week 2 and 3 were terrible... Please do not rush it if you can hold out... Being at home , vs. being at work are two very different things...
Callie:
How do you know if you have a hematoma, if you can't see it? I have a tennis ball size sore spot to the left of my vert. incision that just isn't getting better. Very sore all the time.
Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register