Released to return to work after TAH/BSO - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Released to return to work after TAH/BSO Released to return to work after TAH/BSO

Unread 03-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Released to return to work after TAH/BSO

I am soooo confused about whether or not I should go back to work yet. I slept all day today just because I was depressed. I feel like I want to go play the part of "hero"; yet I'm scared I will fall flat on my face. I really do feel great; but what if this great feeling is just temporary? I've been reading so many of the other stories on this website and am in shock now
more than ever that my dr has given me the ok to go back to work (only to sit at my desk and answer the phone, though). This is my 9th day postop. Thanks for all the information and responses. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Lynn, What should I expect with the hormone issue? I had both of my ovaries removed also.
cmag012364
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM

Hi there - my TAH/BSO was Dec 6... I returned to work part time after four weeks. My job is computer based, so not very strenuous, but what I discovered is that I had a sort of brain fog that didn't lift until around week 12. Up until it lifted, I had a very hard time concentrating and focusing on anything for too long. I found that the more I tried, the more stressed I got that my brain didn't seem to be responding properly. The more stressed I got, the more exhausted and inadequate I felt.

After talking with doctor, he said that it's typical that we feel this "brain fog" for the first 12 weeks... your body has to adjust to the changes in your hormone levels. I really didn't anticipate the whole brain fog thing, so it was surprising to me that it took so long to feel like things were getting back to normal. I've had to make some adjustments with my estrogen along the way, but am feeling much better now, so we must be on the right track with that.

Good luck - my advice to you is not to over do it. Let your co-workers/boss know that you've heard about this brain fog thing and that you may not be 100% even if you're present. Hopefully, they will be understanding and supportive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM

cmag - are you saying that you're doctor released you without even a follow-up visit to check you out?
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Hi, wow I am at 5 weeks and I still can't do much, I swell and then it hurts and then I have to lay down. My gyn told me 3 months. I went for my 4 week follow up and I was not even close to ready she said. She said do not vacuum, lift over 5 pounds, mop for 3 months. Nothing strenuous at all she said, I know all docs have there own way of doing things. I am glad you feel so good. Lisa
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:56 PM

I wasn't even allowed to drive until four weeks then after my six weeks he said I could go to work in another four weeks. Wow.
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM

My dr told me 2 days after my TAH/BSO that he was extremely impressed by my progress and that I was an "exceptional" patient. I am 10 days post op now, and went back to work this afternoon for 4 hours. I did feel a little light headed and dizzy while I walked in the bldg., but other than that, I plan to go back tomorrow for another 4 hours.
I don't want anyone thinking that I am "boasting" about this. I am just in shock at how great things are going for me. I wish everyone could recooperate like I am. However, don't worry, I'm still praying everyday that
I don't have a set back or do anything stupid. God works wonders and I'd love to believe that I am one of his wonders, but only time will tell. Thanks again for all ya'lls support. cmag012364
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM

I, too, have had a remarkable recovery. I had a TAH on March 6th, kept both ovaries. The doc tried an LAVH, but nicked a uterine artery and had to open me up. Good thing, because the uterus was the size of small cantelope. Anyway, had my surgery on Thurs, got home on Saturday. Doc removed my staples on day 6. Said I was doing very well. She gave me the standard 6 weeks release for everything except for a 2 week release for driving. I was walking up and down the halls some at the castle, then got home and continued that. Before a week was up, I was walking around the block. Had mom drive me by work to pick up the paperwork/money (I am a bookkeeper and can work from home) on days 5 and 8. I only work a couple of days a week for about 4 hours each day. I continued to walk and felt good enough to go back to work on day 12. I have been really good and have not picked up anything heavy or vacuumed. I did go to the grocery for a few things. I am now 24 days post and I have been able to walk for 45 minutes (2.5 miles), go to work, sweep, sleep on my stomach/side. Just about anything. I purposely spend some days just doing NOTHING but watching chick flicks! (gotta love netflix!) And I AM listening to my body. Besides a little swelly belly and some incision discomfort (wouldn't call it pain), I hardly notice. I was in good shape before I went into surgery, and taking the vitamins have helped, I am sure. But I have to pass the praise up the the Lord. I don't know why He chose to bless me in this manner, but I sure am glad He did.

When I first visited this site, I did not find ANY good recovery reports and frankly, it scared me. But after having been on here a few weeks I have found many good stories. My heart goes out to all the sisters that are having a hard time. It takes great strength of character to go through trials. Blessings and quick recoveries to you all.

teresa
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM

I have to say I know for a fact I could not face a full day of work yet. I had my surgery 3-14-2008 and I am so foggy and the left side still hurts like there is a fire poker inside jabbing me. Plus the fact my HRT isn't quite right yet.... Today 4/5/2008 was my very first day OUT of the house for a full day. I had a 50th birthday party to attend and I was thrilled to get out of the house but I feel like I was hit by a truck. My abdomen (on the left side) is burning like crazy and my pubic bone area feels extra sore. I still can't stretch my arms up over my head without feeling like I'm ripping something inside. it's really a drag when you look 'ok' on the outside but your insides still need to be pampered. we live in a society when appearance dictates your total well being.... heck, I put on make-up everyday..... it doesn't mean I'm ready to face the world..... it just means I want to look good (or not so tired)
Unread 04-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsmurphy81
I am now 24 days post and I have been able to walk for 45 minutes (2.5 miles), go to work, sweep, sleep on my stomach/side. Just about anything. I purposely spend some days just doing NOTHING but watching chick flicks! (gotta love netflix!) And I AM listening to my body. Besides a little swelly belly and some incision discomfort (wouldn't call it pain), I hardly notice. I was in good shape before I went into surgery, and taking the vitamins have helped, I am sure. But I have to pass the praise up the the Lord. I don't know why He chose to bless me in this manner, but I sure am glad He did.

When I first visited this site, I did not find ANY good recovery reports and frankly, it scared me. But after having been on here a few weeks I have found many good stories. My heart goes out to all the sisters that are having a hard time. It takes great strength of character to go through trials. Blessings and quick recoveries to you all.

teresa
Teresa, you have no idea how much I appreciated your post. Tomorrow will be 15 days post op TAH for me. I was walking the halls in the hospital and began doing short walks on my block at around day 8. I'm up to walking about 1/2 mile in my subdivision and will be adding a little on each day starting tomorrow. BTW, my walking has been cleared by my Dr. but more importantly, I'm listening to my body. Just a few days ago, I felt really good and I started picking up the pace on my walk, my body told me in no uncertain terms that I was walking too fast, so I slowed it back down. You mentioned that you were in shape prior to your surgery and that has a lot to do with your speedy recovery. There is definitely a linear relationship between pre-surgery fitness levels and post-surgery recovery. Is anyone else experiencing a speedy recovery?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register