Day 5, Nagging cough, please help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 5, Nagging cough, please help! Day 5, Nagging cough, please help!

Unread 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Day 5, Nagging cough, please help!

I have a cough that I just can't shake. It is becomming quite painful for my poor abdomen. No amount of tummy holding or pillows helps when I cough.

It is not a deep, chest cough and I do not have any other symptoms. I do however feel mucous that needs to come out! My hubby went to Walgreens and got me mucinex (generic), but it really isn't helping. I also have Tessalon Perls from when I had the flu in January, but they are also not helping.

Do you have any suggestions? I am willing to try just about anything. I am not sleeping well due to waking up in coughing fits. And I'm not able to walk much due to coughing. It is really draining my energy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 05:52 AM

What it is probably from is the tube in your throat that you had during your surgery can cause some irritation and it may be lasting effects from that. OR when we are not up and around moving like we were before the surgery our lungs tend to get a little be wore out and they start to get something called atelectasis which is just that mucus you are feeling that is "stuck". It isn't pneumonia or anything bad like that but without taking care of it, it could become pneumonia. What you need to do is take 10 BIG deep breaths and hold each one of them. And do this every hour or more. You will probably feel like coughing and trust me I know how painful that is but try to just brace against it as much as you can. Also drink LOTS of water to help thin out the mucus that you have down in your lungs.

Good luck!!
Erin (your friendly Respiratory Therapist)
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM

(((Michelle)))
It might be a good idea to call and let your dr know about the cough. S/he might be able to prescribe something that would stop it or at least slow it down so you can rest and not be so likely to hurt yourself. Coughs can be mean on stitches and you need your sleep.
Please call this morning and see if you can get something stronger to knock this thing. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM

Michelle - I really feel for you. Hopefully your doctor will be able to prescribe something for you to take care of the cough. I know firsthand how horrible coughing can feel.
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM

I agree call DR. to see if he/she can help you out. I too had this cough, but I just attributed it to the anesthesia.
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM

I got bronchitis the day after my surgery, so I feel your pain. You might want to try Mucinex D, only avaliable from the pharmacist due to the pseudoefedrin (sp) in it. Call your doc. He/she can get you a script for some stronger meds. Also, try cough drops to ease the pain.

Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM

You might also try a vaporizer. I had a throat-tickle kind of cough and the vaporizer seemed to help. I also sucked on a lot of life savers to keep my saliva moving.
Good luck,
Annie
Unread 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM

I call it "kennel cough" because I could hear everyone on the floor starting to get it, especially the older people...

The nurses had told me to take deep breaths and even gave me the feedback machine that lets you know when you're really taking deep breaths...but it took the respiratory doctor coming around on rounds to show me how to use it properly. The breaths you have to take are pretty huge, slow and deep.

I was glad that he did that because I was starting to cough like I had a cold with no symptoms. Like the other poster I suggest taking HUGE deep breaths like they should have expected you to do in the hospital. It might just clear it up.

I went home with no cough and clear lungs because of that respiratory guy.
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Lung issues after surgery can get out of hand quickly, hope you do talk to your Dr if you feel concerned about it, listen to your body. The Dr definitely wants to know these things and maybe even have a listen to your chest.

I struggled for the first week after surgery, it was like I just could not catch my breath. they kept me on oxegen for the first two days at hospital and told me to monitor myself carefully for any changes. they listened to my chest almost every couple of hours for the first few days and gave me deep breathing exercises to do. The first week was the worst, then I started to improve slowly day by. Just another fun side effect of general anesthetic.

hope it gets better for you soon.
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM

I have put in a call to the nurse.
When my daughter was unloading my suitcase a little while ago I spotted that thing-a-ma-jig for the deep breathing from the hospital. When I saw it, all of a sudden memories came back from that 1st night. This "mean" nurse came in, checked my O2 stats (68%) and shoved the canula back on my face. Then she practically shoved that thing-a-ma-jig down my throat and told me to breath! She was like really freaking me out.
Anyway, I guess my stats got better because I don't remember anyone else telling me to use that thing. After reading your responses I have used it. 10 deep breaths like Erin suggested. Boy was that hard to do! I sure hope it will help.
Thank you all so much for your respnses!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register