Anyone had a good experience with a tvt sling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had a good experience with a tvt sling? Anyone had a good experience with a tvt sling?

Unread 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Anyone had a good experience with a tvt sling?

I keeping going back and reading post about the problems with peeing and the tvt sling. I am wondering if this is why I can't pee and still have the catheter? Will it get better? I am now regretting having this thing since my incontinence was that bad to begin with. I am just wondering if anyone has had a great experience with it and is glad they got it.

Robyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM

I had mine about the same time as yours and I'm still cathing but my amounts are adjusting...more coming out than I have to cath.

I really used to love sports but got to the point where I couldn't do anything without moisture and even loss of control during simple games of horse.

So, I hope when I'm all healed it will be worth it.

I'll be interested to see your responses 'cause I'm in the same boat.

Denise
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM

I got the TOT (similiar just lower incision points) and only had cath one night. I have some control issues now but getting better. My Uro/Gyn had me come back at one week to check since they can then dicide if it needs adjustment it. After that the scar tissue gets difficult to work with. She did say the swelling takes time to go down and the bladder needs to retrain but she is happy with what I am voiding and the residual left.

I have had several sneezes and about cried when I was still dry!

I suggest if you have ANY concerns make sure to be in touch with your surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 09:56 PM

I had a hyst, TVT sling and A&P repairs on 3/12.... I woke up with the cath and it remained for 2 days, when they removed it I was unable to void fully so I had to do the self cath (fun fun) but for only 2 days. Six days later I was in horrible pain with a bladder infection, took antibiotics to clear it up and have felt pretty good for the last couple of days. I have two incisions in my inner groin area??? (where my inner thigh joins the vaginal area) this is where the tvt is anchored. The left side feels normal, or same as pre-op however I feel a tightness and pulling on the right side that i feel in my upper leg and a dull ache in my right lower bikini area. My dr. asked that I give it a few more weeks, said that they may need to loosen the sling, but need to wait to make sure as you can loosen it but it can't be tightened. I can now sneeze and laugh without leaking urine!!!! My bladder is still VERY tender and I go pee more often now... but for the most part I don't have any complaints. I was more nervous and concerned about having the bladder stuff done than I was the hyst, but now I think things will be good. I hope things change for the better for you.... keep us posted.
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:10 PM

I had the whole nine yards about 3 weeks ago, including tvt and so far so good - was able to pee in the hospital and apart from initial bladder spasms the first week or so, have been able to go no problem. The only thing I notice is that I think I'm done and stand up and there's still some dribbling out - I had that problem pre-surgery, so it's not like a new thing but I'm hoping it improves as the swelling goes down.
Unread 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM

I had a bladder sling on Nov 28,2007. I was able to pee at once when the cath taken out the next day. I had a couple of badder spasms the first 3 weeks and a little leakage. But now every thing is working fine. Before I really had a problem if i coughed or even bent over.
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM

My doc wanted to do the sling procedure on me after he did a 'test" with me drinking then coughing, but I did some research on my own and decided against it. Mainly it was the repeat UTI's and pee problems that scared me away. Besides, the reason for my hyst was a large uterus pressing on my bladder so when the uterus came out, my pee problems went away. I had my surg march 10. Hopefully everything will be fine with you and your incontinence problems will go away!
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:43 PM

I got my sling with my hysto on the 13th and love not peeing everytime I cough or sneeze! No problems so far.
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Hi
I had a TVT on the 6th march, after urodynamics revealed I would be incontinent after having prolaspe repair.
I had catheter in for 3 days, pee'd within 2 hours and touch wood have had no problems with retention or incontinence.
I was warned by my consultant that I may have vioding issues, which he assurred me usually resolve themselves.
I think it is a clever piece of kit, without it I would have to use pads to stop embarassing leaks.
Caly
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Seems I'm out of the woods...

Well, almost two weeks in and I'm finally empty! Yeah!

I had a setback on Saturday where I had a very full bladder and went as much as I thought I could. When I cath'd I got a LOT out! But hasn't happened again and I check periodically to see if I'm retaining and only get a little squirt...so I guess I've figured out the combination to my bladder.

I told hubby I've got to try the sneeze test. I'm so used to crossing my legs when I sneeze that it's a habit so I'm going to try it without and make sure the sling works.

Oh, what fun!

D.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register