BM with catheter after knicked bladder, help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BM with catheter after knicked bladder, help! BM with catheter after knicked bladder, help!

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
BM with catheter after knicked bladder, help!

I am 1 week post op today and haven't had my first BM yet. I feel the need to go, but when I tried to go I strained just a little and dark red blood (fresh) came pooring out of my catheter tube. My dr's seems to think this is normal, but wanted to see if any of you had experienced this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony5264
I am 1 week post op today and haven't had my first BM yet. I feel the need to go, but when I tried to go I strained just a little and dark red blood (fresh) came pooring out of my catheter tube. My dr's seems to think this is normal, but wanted to see if any of you had experienced this. Thanks!
hey there harmony

My bladder got knicked as well. When I first got home, I was worried that I had not gone, but my family reminded me that I also had not had anything except liquids for 6 days. There was nothing to come out.

Fearing constipation (having read about it on here), I determined that I would eat like regular people and trade in my red meat and potato diet for some of that other stuff.

Here's what I did - I took stool softeners twice a day. I ate all these really strange things (at least strange to me - being the meat and potato kinda gal that I am). But I started eating fruits - apples, pears, oranges, and an occasional banana. I ate veggies (totally foreign concept for me ) like green beans and greens. I had salad - not on my pre-op eating plan. And don't forget the oatmeal. I had oatmeal almost everyday for the first 2 weeks.

I made sure that I didn't push. I would go to the and sit. If it didn't "fall out" on its own, I would give up and go back to

When it finally did come, I was a little concerned about the gross factor with the tubes and everything, but it was fine.

The only time I had any issue with blood was at day 14 when my bag started to fill with blood because I actually had a UTI. Went to the urgent care and they gave antibiotics and all was well.

Take care. Keep posting. I'll be praying for you. Blessings on you ....
Unread 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Hi Harmony:

I too have a catheter in still. I have been taking two stool softeners every day and had a BM every day as well. I am also taking one tablet of Fibercom. It tasts like a tums. That has really help to soften it. I have not had any blood in my catheter except for some small blood clots but that could be because this is the third time they have had to put catheter back in.

When do you get yours out?

Robyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 12:58 PM

I am not sure. I am suppose to go back Wed (one week from today, 2 weeks post op) and they are going to do the test where they put dye in my bladder and see if the incision is leaking, etc. He said if all is healed, then he would take it out, but he doesn't seem hopeful. He said I just didn't know how bad it was.
Unread 03-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Well, we'll be ing that it gets removed next week.

I had mine for 18 days. When they told me 2 weeks, they meant from my discharge date not date of surgery. At first i was disappointed, but then I decided that it was for the best.

WARNING

Towards day 12 or 13, I noticed that I had the urge to go. It scared me at first because it all just flows and you don't think about it. I ran to the bathroom and some did leak out. My s (GYN Surgeon and Urologist) were calling me every day, so when the Urologist called that afternoon - I told him about it and he said not to be alarmed. It was a bladder spasm and meant that things were healing well.

So on the day that I was to divorce Mr. Foley Catheter, I told the that I was there to get my catheter removed and she said - we have to wait and see. I almost lost it, but I guess they do that in case it is not healed and they have to leave it or put it back. They don't want to get your hopes up.

I am praying that both of you have successful appointments.

Continued blessings on you ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register