HELP!!!! Do I have a blood clot????????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!!!! Do I have a blood clot????????? HELP!!!! Do I have a blood clot?????????

Unread 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
HELP!!!! Do I have a blood clot?????????

Ladies, I woke up this morning with a strange soreness in the back of my right knee. I have not injured the area, or the rest of the leg. I have no redness, heat, or swelilng in the area. I read that a sign of a blood clot in the leg is if your get a sharp pain whenever you flex your foot. I do have pain when I either try to stretch the leg as much as possible or flex the foot, but I wouldn't call it sharp pain. If I'm sitting and don't stretch the leg or flex there's no pain, but it does hurt a bit when I walk (which of course involves some stretching and flexing). The only hrt I use is Estrace vaginal cream 2-3x a day. Does this merit a trip to the doctor, or should I just wait until tomorrow and see how the back of my knee feels then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Call your Dr it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope you feel better.
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

I would call your doctor, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Last week I woke up and upon standing my legs felt tingly, almost burning. Inner theighs and down the leg. I looked and they were PURPLE. I freaked, went to the doctor and they sent me for leg scans. There was no clot, thank God. They told me it was probably a result of all the veins and nerves finding their way back to the way they should be. They cut and move everything during a TAH. After 3 days it was gone.

Definately call your doctor. They will check it out. Best wishes!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 07:19 PM

If there's even the slightest chance it's a clot, don't wait until tomorrow. Go now. Take it from one who did have a clot....it's better to err on the side of caution. Please let us know how you are.
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM

Go to the doctor - to the nearest Emergency Room. I had a blood clot in my leg. It hurt to walk, but not to sit. I felt like I could point to one spot on my leg and say, "It hurts here." Stretching and flexing hurt. I had NO redness, very miminal swelling, no heat, no area that felt like a lump or hard. As soon as the ultrasound was over, the tech got the radiologist who sent me to the ER. Clots are serious so if you are still reading this and haven't left yet... not to scare you, but my brother died from a pulmonary embolism that was likely the result of a blood clot in his leg that he ignored.
Hopefully, you don't have a clot, but please be on the safe side and get your leg checked out.
Keep us posted. I'm such a worrier....
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM

I'm hoping you went to the ER after reading a few of these messages. I had a pulmonary embolism a week after my hyst, that my doctors believe originated in the pelvic area. It is very serious. I can't stress that enough. I spent a few days in ICU, and am currently on coumadin. It's probably nothing, but I would rather feel like a fool, than wait until it breaks off and travels to my lung, heart, or brain. My friend had bilat PE's after her hyst. One broke off, and caused her to have a stroke. Just like mine, they originated in the pelvic area. So please have it checked.
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Thank you Ladies, you have convinced me. I will see my PCP later today. Spoke to the RN and she said that he'll look and if he feels I should have a sonogram or a "venous doppler" that he'll send me to the ER afterwards.

What I'm trying to figure out is this: could such a small use of Estrace vaginal cream increased the possibility of blood clots for me? My surgery was back in August, and I only use Estrace, a very small amount, 2-3x a week.

And can anyone tell me what the risk would be of having a venous doppler (if I am spelling that right).

Thanks so much for your support. I will definitely check in later and let you know what happened....if I'm still alive :-(
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:37 AM

It's just an ultrasound checking the blood flow thru your arteries in your extremities. I had one after my PE. She had me lay with my legs bent and apart, and ran the doppler down my legs, and every once in awhile would sqeeze my leg and you'd hear this woosh sound as the blood would rush thru after being squeezed. I don't think there's a risk involved at all. They didn't use any dye or anything.

As far as the cream, I'm not sure if it's enough to cause a clot or not. I won't ever be able to use it or any type of hormones because of the clot factor.

G/L at your visit today!
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Hi Ladies. Both good and bad news. Good news is that the doppler ruled out a blood clot and a Baker's cyst (whatever that is). Bad news is that they found a "cystic area" behind the knee which will require an MRI with contrast and without next week. I feel like both the radiologist and the doctor are keeping something from me. What would an MRI be looking for??? And I suppose there will be a risk in terms of possible allergic reaction to the dye they will use for the contrast right? I hate this. Do I now have to worry about possible cancer???? Is it possible that I DO have a blood clot and they're missing it and seeing it as a "cystic area"?? Thank you for any and all responses and messages.
Unread 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Won't anyone answer me please??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register