6 Mths Post-Op and Exercise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Mths Post-Op and Exercise 6 Mths Post-Op and Exercise

Unread 07-25-2001, 05:23 PM
6 Mths Post-Op and Exercise

Hi,
Hope someone out there can tell me if this is normal. I had my hyst. on Jan. 17 and 2 months later joined "The Gym". I started out very slowly, walking 2.5 miles per hour. Now I am now up to running 5 miles an hour for 20 minutes and doing weight training. Most days I come home feeling fine, and the next day is great. Other times, however, I have major pains in my sides. Is this normal. Also, my vertical incision is constantly itchy. IT'S EMBARRASSING!! I am always gently rubbing my stomach. Am I overdoing it, or is this just normal with the healing process. Please help. I want get on with my life, tighten up those muscles and be able to wear jeans again. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2001, 07:56 PM

Hi,

I had my TAH/BSO 9-27-00, and sometimes my incision (horizontal) still gets itchy. I usually just rub lotion on it, and that seems to help. Once in awhile after I do abdominal exercises, I do have some belly soreness, but I think that is just using muscles that have been neglected for awhile, but that is just my opinion.
Unread 07-26-2001, 10:49 PM

Hi Debi,

You mention that you want to "tighten up" those muscles...are you still swelling? Does the swelling fluctuate? I'm asking this because even though you are 6 months post-op, you may well still be healing inside. A gyn has stated that it takes at least 6 months to a year to heal TOTALLY.

It sounds like you've really tried to work up to your current regimen very gradually, which is good. However, if you are still having swelling or major pains in your sides in reaction to your exercises (which can be VERY normal as you're still healing), then you might need to take your exercising down a level or two.

Try doing less, and see if those reactions disappear. You want to heal properly first and foremost before you think about getting totally in shape again.

Also, you might want to discuss this with your Dr.

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register