adhesions from coughing/sneezing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adhesions from coughing/sneezing adhesions from coughing/sneezing

Unread 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM
adhesions from coughing/sneezing

Does anyone know if you coughing,sneezing (or a really bad push from a BM) can cause internal damage?
I am trying really hard to follow all the rules agains housework etc. But my first BM was hard labor pushing, and then there is the painfull cough and/or sneeze that feels like everything is ripping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 05:49 AM

Press down with a hard pillow against your abdomen when you have to cough or sneeze. The movements caused by coughing and sneezing is not good, I can tell you that. It causes pulling on your stitched wound that is already raw and tender and trying to heal.

I had a bout with coughing and sneezing on day 5, 6 and 7. It killed me because evertime I had to sneeze and cough I could feel the stitches pulling. It caused more rawness on what had already healed and hurt so bad for days later. I pressed on abdomen with my hands when I had to cough and sneezed but it wasnt enough to cover the entire area that needed to be kept in place. I told my DR's office who told me to keep a pillow close by in case you have to cough or sneeze. Would have been nice if they gave me a list of things like this I would need during recovery instead of finding out after the fact.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:38 AM

I've been doing so much reading about adhesions that my head hurts ! Most articles I've read say that they are inevitable but that they rarely cause complications. Most articles say that surgical technique (ie: how gentle the doctor is, if he allows the membranes of the organs to dry out) is the most important step in avoiding adhesions. Some articles mention the use of artifical barriers, gels and the like internally during surgery that MAY prevent adhesions (seems the jury is still out on whether these really work). NONE of the articles I read mentioned anything about post-op movements, etc contributing to adhesions -- none of them even suggested that the patient can prevent them post op. I've been trying to find any science based information on adhesion prevention post op and I can't find a single one. I've been on WebMD, DrKoop.com, MedLine, PubMed and even did a "scholarly search" in Google. NOTHING mentions anything outside the Operating Room that can prevent or lessen adhesions. I'm beginning to believe that the worry about adhesions is one of those "urban myths".

On the other hand, I think its prudent to avoid activities that could cause tearing of the internal stitches, since that could very well cause new scar tissue to form, which might, under the right circumstances form an adhesion, but I think the trama would have to be rather significant for that to happen.

If anyone has links to scientific / fact based / research studies on post op activities causing or worsening adhesions please please please post them or send me a private message with them - I'd really love to read them.

Now I will say that sneezing, coughing and laughing hurt like heck the first 2 weeks post op. The sturdy pillow in the tummy helps a great deal.

Pushing during a BM might tear the vaginal cuff - that one I know first hand. My doc prescribed Miralax to me (stool softener and laxative) to make sure I didn't have to strain at all. If you're finding that you have to strain you might want to give your doc a call and get the OK to use a stool softener.

Best of luck with your recoveries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 07:53 AM

try googling surgical adhesions...i seriously doubt coughing and sneezing could cause them. i agree with joann..movements dont seem to cause adhesions. i had the most horrible cold and cough during an emergency csection years ago and if that caused adhesions...i'd be full of them.
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM

I had my LAVH due to adhesions from 3 previous c-sections. What I have found out about adhesions is this:
1) Since it is nothing more than "scar tissue" some people are more prone to them than others. Some people never have a problem at all. During delivery of my children the Dr. would tell me that he was amazed at how much scar tissue my body would produce.
2) Some people get pain with them some don't. I think it depends where they are and how big they are. If they get big enough they can develop their own blood supply and nerve endings.
3) Some Drs. don't think they can be a problem and they don't cause pain (I strongly disagree)
4) If you are prone to them, any tearing or internal bleeding can cause adhesions.
Like everything else about hysterectomys..I think everyone is different and just try to heal and not worry about everything. Easier said than done... I know.
Unread 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM

I've had 2 laps because of adhesions. In my case they were extermly painful. I had my appendix out at age 16 the following year was my first lap. The adhesions attached to my small intestine and my bowl. Then 16 years later I had my second lap due to adhesions (scar tissue) from the same site. This time they grew and attached to my abdominal wall. I've been told my several Drs that they don't know how to prevent them and my body seems to be prone to creating them. A Dr once said the more cutting the more chances of having them. From all my surgeries I have 11 different cuts/scares on my stomach, pelvic area & vagina. I'm scared that I'll get them from my hyster. I'm being so careful so no more grow I don't want to have anymore more surgeries!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register