Anyone's DR approved 8 weeks off??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone's DR approved 8 weeks off??? Anyone's DR approved 8 weeks off???

Unread 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Anyone's DR approved 8 weeks off???

my dr wants me back after 4 weeks off from a robotic, laproscopic hyst, with a 9 cm fibroid, endometiosis, saved both ovaries. Don't you think that that is pushing it a bit? Plus I work in dietary at hospital....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM

I started back to work after 10 weeks. That includes 2 weeks of vacation. I am so glad I took the extra time. I have been really busy and working long hours. I am absolutely exhausted at the end of the day. If I had gone back at 6 weeks, I wouldn't have made it. My energy level at 6 weeks was awful.
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:41 PM

My doctor said 6 weeks but when she filled out the paperwork she wrote it for 7 weeks. I will run out of time after that so I will have to go back. I think she would extend it if I requested especially since I have had some problems.

My boss wanted to know if I really needed all that time and he wanted to have it in writing from the doctor. My boss is kind of a jerk when it comes to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:05 AM

My Dr said she likes to give 10 weeks, but because of the timing of my op this would have meant going back to work right before Christmas, so she gave me 12 weeks. Then I started suffering with depression and meno problems, she gave me another 4 weeks, so I was off for 16 weeks altogether (not paid for all of it though).
My first week I only did two days, I was totally exhausted after that.
Don't believe anyone who says they were back at work after two weeks, especially if they had abdominal surgery. I can't believe any dr would recommend they went back that soon anyway! My co worker had a hyst 10 years ago, she told me she eventually gave up her job and didn't work for a year afterwards...

The six weeks seems to be a minimum for abdominal surgery, and as someone else said, there is still a lot of healing going on inside that you can't see.
Unread 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM

I can have up to 12 weeks off with the FMLA but my dr. said I can go back after 8 and I am going to return 4/10. I am very nervous about it though since the job that I do working in the hospital on a busy night you could walk up to 2 miles. I guess we will see how that is going to work.

Good Luck to everyone else going back to work before the 10th of April.

Erin
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Ummm, sorry buttons, but I was back at work after 2 weeks. My doctor basically told me that i could go back as soon as I felt like it as long as I wasn't bleeding or had unusual pain or fatique (assuming of course that I was not going to do anything really strenuous at work). I was feeling just a bit tired, but otherwise OK. I work at a computer and in meetings all day, so no real physical activity.

I sort of wish I took 3 weeks off so that I could have gotten some stuff done around the house before going back, but I can't even imagine taking more than 3.

I guess that is the difference between lap and abdominal surgery. I can't even begin to thank my friends and family who encoraged me to get that second opinion when my original dr wanted to do abdominal surgery and said I was not a candidate for laproscopy due to the adhesions and endo. My second dr proved her wrong and I am so happy.

I am really sorry that there are so many who are feeling in so much pain for so long with an abdominal incision. I think that the bottom line with "when can you go back to work?" is common sense. As long as you feel energetic enough and you are not going to do anything crazy at work that will inhibit your recovery, why not?
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Both my surgeon and my fam Dr told me 6 - 8 weeks is pretty normal as long as I am healing well, which I am, and filled out my med form as such. In fact my family Dr told me that she feels 6 weeks is bare minimum just for the body to recover from the anesthesia. I was going to go back after 5 weeks then changed my mind so I will go back at 6 weeks full time, desk job. I know the first few weeks back will be sore, but it cant really be avoided so I'm just going to accept it as part of the process. It cant be worse than what I endured before the surgery, so I can deal with it.

good luck to all going back to the grind.
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Yesterday at my post-op I asked my doctor, "So when are you going to make me go back to work?" He laughed and said, your call, anything up to 8 weeks after the surgery date. I settled on 4/16 which is just about 5 weeks, barring any unforeseen complications between now and then.
Unread 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllTakeTheRain
I think that the bottom line with "when can you go back to work?" is common sense. As long as you feel energetic enough and you are not going to do anything crazy at work that will inhibit your recovery, why not?
Hey there Karen

I remember when you said that you were going back to work at 2 weeks post-op. I thought - must be nice. At 2 weeks post-op I was still married to Mr. Foley Catheter

I think you are right about common sense. I knew when I was ready to go back. Pain was never an issue for me. I am - as my mother would say - a natural born sleeper. So it was easy for me to be tired and just go to

I soon realized that I had to kinda push the envelope so that I would be prepared to go back to work. There are still days that I am tired. Is it much different than pre-op? A little, but not much.

So, I guess the answer is, we are all different and we have to listen to our bodies and our Good luck ladies ....
Unread 03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
There's a MAJOR difference between lap and abdominal surgery

I agree with IllTakeTheRain -- there's a major difference between lap and abdominal surgeries. I had LAVH/BSO on 3/5 and am returning to work on Monday (3/31 -- also just sitting and desk work). I had very minimal pain after the procedure, and my last pain med was given to me in the recovery room. I haven't even needed or taken OTC pain-relievers at all. I have a high tolerance for pain, and low doses of meds are very effective (I am small). After discussing w/ MD and Anesthesiologist, they gave me much lower dose of anesthesia and pain meds during the operation, and it made it easier for me to get the drugs out of my system so I could recuperate easier. I lived according to the rules with no heavy lifting and taking it easy, though I was up walking around and driving on Sat (3/8) -- it helped that I had no side effects from the anesthesia or pain meds and I was in no pain at all. I also have no issues with sleeping, so I am able to sleep 12-hour nights, and I even napped a couple hours during the day the first couple weeks. At my 2-wk post-op visit, my doctor said I was healing so well I could return to work if I wanted to. I requested one more week, since everyone encouraged me to so I could return to work well-rested with less chance of a "relapse". The only "issue" I am experiencing is a yellowish vaginal discharge (that is more or less reddish at times depending on how active I have been) with accompanying odor.

I also am sorry for those that are in so much pain for so long with the abdominal incision. I hesitated to write because I feel bad about how so many of you are suffering and I had it so easy, but I think it is also not fair to those that are considering this surgery to read so much about the pain and difficult recovery, when there are those of us that really do not have pain and have a very easy recovery.

I second IllTakeTheRain's assertion that "the bottom line with 'when can you go back to work?'" is common sense. As long as you feel energetic enough and you are not going to do anything crazy at work that will inhibit your recovery, why not?" As long as you have your physician's approval and you feel up to it, there is no reason you need to take off 6-8 weeks (unless, of course you want to).

Good luck ladies ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register