Recovery time for LAVH/BSO? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time for LAVH/BSO? Recovery time for LAVH/BSO?

Unread 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Recovery time for LAVH/BSO?

I had a LAVH/BSO on March 10 for Endo. The doctor said it would only take two weeks to recover, but it is almost three and my left side is still very sore and bruised. I can only find info on recovery for a TAH recovery. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday, I have an hour car drive both ways, I"m just very nervous. I don't want to be a wimp, but I don't want to do something that will hurt me in the long run. I haven't seen my doctor since the surgery and I'm feeling very alone and confused.
Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Imho

I am only 2 weeks out and just starting to move around, with TLVH. But here are my thoughts for what it is worth. There is a reason that we are told 4-6 weeks, I know women who are fine in 2 weeks, and I've also spoken with women who have told me that it can take a year to fully recover from this. Each of us has had somewhat different surgeries, have different bodies, and responses to pain, and especially to anesthesia. I would speak with your doctor. But if there is any way to take another week for yourself do it! Talk to the HR department. It is not in their interest to have you come back too soon, and then to relapse and be our for another 3 weeks.
My only experience with abdominal incision is with 2 CSections 18-21 years ago, at that time they kept you in the hospital for at least 5 nights, and I did not return to work for 6 weeks, and needed every bit of that time.
Good luck and feel better and try to rest at every possible moment! xo Susan
Unread 03-29-2008, 12:21 PM

Hi Liz -
I would try to get in to see you dr about the pain and bruising. I never experienced that, aside from the first week or so after surgery, and I was back to work at 2 weeks.

I was really nervous when I went back too (and also have a long commute), but it was better than expected. My biggest worry was sitting up all day when I was used to laying on the couch, but that did bother me a bit although I did have some twinges of vaginal pain occasionally, but not after the first week back.

Again - I would recommend seeing your DR about the pain before going back to work.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. DOn't feel alone - we will all be pulling for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM

my dr told me to expect to be off work at least 4 weeks, possibly 6 depending on my own recovery pace.
Unread 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM

I also had the same surgery on 3/13. I would call your Dr I too am sore but no bruising. Do you have a follow up appt before you return to work? I would make one to be sure your ready to go back. I hope you feel better.
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. I went out yesterday to try driving and walking around a store to get ready for Monday, but it did not go well. I came home very sore and my left side ached for the rest of the night and still very tender now. I hope to find out more on Tuesday when I see my doctor. I'll keep resting and walking around the yard for now. Thank you again for your support.
Unread 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Did they give you heparin as a blood thinner? They gave me two shots, each of which caused a pretty colorful bruise - one on the right side and one on the left side. There is no "do over" for your recovery, so please do take your time.
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM

I'm not sure about the heparin, I will ask today at the doctor's. Thank you for your advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register