Wish I Never Had To Poop Again! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wish I Never Had To Poop Again! Wish I Never Had To Poop Again!

Unread 03-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Wish I Never Had To Poop Again!

Hi sisters,

I am 5 weeks post op after TVH with A&P repairs and think I would be happy if I never had to poop again! I'm really trying to have a sense of humor after a whole lot of worry. Aren't we supposed to feel better after we have a BM. I am hoping this pressure I feel in my bottom even after a BM is due to swelling from the surgery and not because my surgery didn't work. My rectocele symptoms are worse than they were before and I am super frustrated about it. I see my DR on Friday for my 6 week post op visit--and I'm hoping there is a good explanation---I want to ask him what on earth he did to my BUM because I feel like a BABOON (or what I imagine a baboon might feel like). Maybe I have hemorrhoids--don't know I've never had them before.

My family is starting to wonder when I'm going to feel like myself again actually I'm supposed to be feeling better than my old self--that's why I had the surgery to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM

Hello Emily, I also had the same repairs and I agree that a bm is defiantly not the high light of my day. I am recovering from a popped stitch at the cuff site so any kind of pressure down there is very uncomfortable. Stool softners are great and make everything a little easier or softer . You might ask doc about that . I also do not feel like myself yet and I'm a few weeks after your hyster date. One good thing is this site lets us know , hope is at the end of the tunnel. Even if full recovery takes 6 months, its got to be better than what we were dealing with before.

Best Wishes,
northwest35
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi Northwest 35,

You're right this site is great--its been so helpful. I have been taking stool softeners since my surgery--thats why I'm frustrated about the issues. I can't imagine going without Colace and hope the day comes when I don't need it anymore. I still feel like I can't complete a BM though and that really bothers me--since that was my main symptom before the surgery. I'm hoping its just swelling because its driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Emily -

I feel for you. I didn't have A&P repairs but I did have repairs on my bowels themselves. When my friends ask how I am I say I would be perfect if I just didn't have to eat!! Because then - you know what goes in must come out

I will say though that although my surgery wasn't exactly the same I am getting better. I am few weeks further along than you - my surgery was Feb 8th. Some days now are almost perfect and then I'll have for whatever reason another tough day?? So I concentrate on the good days and I keep reminding myself how I was a month ago!! I am still taking colace 2x day and I've added the metamucil wafers at my Dr's suggestion. They are working to keep things very regular and more bulked up which for me makes passing easier. I was also having the it's not all out sensation.

I'm glad your going to the Dr to get checked out. Hopefully nothing is wrong and ths too shall pass!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-30-2008, 04:49 PM

starbgirl, hang in there. I'm 66 days post-op. I had tolerable hemmoroids before, but post-op hemm's have gotten worse (itching, slight bowel leakage). I feel like my rectum has now prolasped into my vagina. On days where my bowels work good, it's not bad, but if my bowels get out of whack, the feeling of prolaspe of my rectum is very evident. Some history. I read everyone's posts before my hysterectomy 1/24/08 and it helped SO MUCH. Thanks to everyone out there. After suffering stage 3 prolaspe for longer than I should have and TERRIBLE monthly's since a tubal 18 years ago. At 49 I had cervix, uterus, ovaries taken, vaginal vault fixed (sagging) and bladder sling (now I pee straight again!). I have a GREAT Dr. who listens to everything I complain or am happy about with this. Slight infection 1 week post-op, Dr. prescribed antibiotic. 4 week post-op check found some stiches had not dissolved so I see Dr. again April 11, still not allowed to have sex, but husband is 100% supportive. I have felt FANTASTIC since surgery and I cannot tell everyone how good it feels to not feel my pelvic prolapse anymore. I feel like a women again and do not have any monthly pains, headaches or woes. Decided to start Premarin immediately, didn't want any menapause issues at all and have no hot flashes, night sweats, etc. My mood swings are almost completely gone. So after rambling on, we will get better and keep in touch with your Dr.'s all the way thru it. If I must, I would rather have the bowel irritants right now than what the prolapse, bladder and monthly's left me with!
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM

I am still having a lot of trouble with bm's. I feel intense pressure but just am not going like I should. I don't feel like I am cleaning out when I do go. I have been eating fiber caps and stool softeners but they don't seem to be doing the trick. I am also kind of shy about eating, cause it just causes more pressure. I am 10 days post op and hope it gets easier. I didn't have any bladder or bowel repairs so figure it has to be from the pain medication. I haven't dared to try a full laxitive because if it doesn't work the cramping is going to be unbearable. The stool softener does have some laxitive in it and the cramping from that is bad enough. I see my doc tomorrow and you can be sure that we will talk about this. If I get any answers about the how's and why's of this happening I will share them here. I hope things start moving a little easier for all of us.

Sara
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi sisters,
Thanks for sharing all of your info. It really helps to be able to talk about theses issues and know that I am not alone. My friends and DH are tired of hearing about it and really don't understand.

I did go to the movie today and had fun.

Take Care.

Oh, Miralax is a great laxative and doesn't cause cramping it used to be prescription but is available OTC now. My DR recommended it so if you need something like that check with your DR.
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloved
Hi sisters,

I am 5 weeks post op after TVH with A&P repairs and think I would be happy if I never had to poop again! I'm really trying to have a sense of humor after a whole lot of worry. Aren't we supposed to feel better after we have a BM. I am hoping this pressure I feel in my bottom even after a BM is due to swelling from the surgery and not because my surgery didn't work. My rectocele symptoms are worse than they were before and I am super frustrated about it. I see my DR on Friday for my 6 week post op visit--and I'm hoping there is a good explanation---I want to ask him what on earth he did to my BUM because I feel like a BABOON (or what I imagine a baboon might feel like). Maybe I have hemorrhoids--don't know I've never had them before.

My family is starting to wonder when I'm going to feel like myself again actually I'm supposed to be feeling better than my old self--that's why I had the surgery to begin with.
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks postop TVH, A&P Repair, as well as overlapping anal sphincteroplasty. I only started with regular BMs about three days ago. I have been on Surfac ever since surgery. At the beginning I had a whole regimen that involved a catheter and syringe (Red Robin), Fleet Mineral Oil Enema, mineral oil, and the Surfac.

I highly recommend the mineral oil, if it's okay with your dr. Just about a tsp. at night before you go to sleep. It helped me out tremendously. I'm not doing the mineral oil right now 'cause the Surfac is working just fine.

Unfortunately, I do feel exhausted afterwards. Also, it may take me three times to have a complete BM. They are not painful. However, the pressure I feel afterwards just makes me want to stay in bed forever.

I had extensive rectal work done due to multiple 4th degree lacerations from the birth of my children 17, 22, and 20 years ago, weighing in at 12 lbs. 12 oz., 11 lbs. 4 oz., and 10 lbs. 12 oz. I am way better now than I was just last week.

It gets better, I promise.

HysterHugs,
Unread 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM

What saved me was MOM, that gets you going then Colace twice a day kept me regular. I was so scared to push after my TAH and pain meds can make you constipated. Fiber one bars are also good to keep you regular. Good Luck
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM

Denise and Sisters,

Wow, I thought my 3 babies were big--9 lbs 7 oz., 9 lbs 10 oz, and my little one 8 lb 11 oz. they were all 2 weeks early and I am a little bitty girl ( 5' 1" and 115 lb.) but 12 lbs. no wonder you needed the surgery.

Oh, and after lots of water and fiber yesterday--and the Colace I had the hardest time going to the bathroom this morning...Go Figure. I'll have to try some of the things you suggested.

Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register