Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Unread 03-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Ok, I think I have seen something similar on this forum, but I can't find it so I thought I'd ask. Here's what I experienced, has anyone else had this happen and what is it?

2 nights ago I was having extreme lower left abdominal pain. I could barely walk and hubby had to help get me in bed. As I was shifting trying to get comfortable, I felt a very extreme pain and then a huge popping feeling. Then it felt like something was gushing from somewhere. And then a mild cooling sensation and then a major decrease in pain! I was able to shift into a comfortable position with minimal discomfort.

That was Friday. On Saturday morning I woke up feeling great and even went to my 2 kids soccer games! I walked a lot, unassisted, and felt good all day. Today (Sunday) I have felt really good, not as good as yesterday, but good. I have walked around the house and stayed out of bed all day. I only took 1 pain pill today as well!

Well now I am feeling pain again in the lower left abdominal area. It started off a little uncomfortable a little while ago, but is becomming more painful. I am going to take some pain medicine and try to get some sleep. Then I'll see how it does in the morning.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM

chellebelle76

I'm sorry you've experienced this but, with the severe pain, gushing and popping sensations you describe, I would've contacted my doctor straight away ~ especially at only 9 days post-op. It also sounds as if you're overdoing things, too. Complete rest, during the first 6 weeks of vital healing, is essential. It then takes anything from 3 months to a year to heal completely from such a major surgery.

Please contact your doctor as soon as possible ~ if only to put your mind at rest ~ especially as your pain is now returning. Will you let us know what you find out? Please take good care of yourself.

Unread 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM

I hope you feel better soon. Personally I tend to err on the side of caution - if I felt what you felt I'd have called my doctor immediately and if he didn't call back within 15 minutes I would have been on my way to the ER. "Severe pain" is always a sign that I get looked after. I'd rather "waste" money on an unneeded ER visit then take the risk of having something serious go too long. JMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM

But the thing was, I felt better after the popping feeling!

I am feeling good today, just a little soreness/tenderness.

My biggest complaint for today: I'm home alone with my 4 kiddos and they're being awful! Today is a teacher work day and my hubby went back to work today as well. And one of the kids is running fever and has a sore throat.

I have my post-op appt on Thursday so I will ask doctor about pain and popping feeling.
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Cant you just call the office? It may have been a gas pain, I have had several of those, but never had the popping or gushing... Let us know what you find out...
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Severe Pain on Left Side

Hi, I had severe burning pain on my left side that would last a day or two then disappear. I had a total hysterectomy with my appendix removed February 19th. Four weeks after my surgery the pain was so bad that my doctor wanted me to come in for an exam and I did. He really didn't know what was causing it and prescribed pain pills. I took it easy for a couple of days and so far so good. I went in today for my final exam...it will be six weeks tomorrow. I'm still sore and tire easily.
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:28 PM

Hi klg3566, I am so glad to read your post. I had quite alot done at once:
complete verticle abdominal hysterectomy, vaginal volt prolapse reconstruction, and bladder sling. I've been sitting here reading so many posts and none seem to be the same. We are all different as to what we had done. I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and was worried about my pain. I'm still on pain medicine and starting to count down how many I've left before calling the dr again for a refill. It is a slow process and that's the hardest thing it seems for most of us to realize. We want to be healed instantly, but in real life thats a NO. Thank you for giving your healing progress report. We all need support no matter where we are on the progress/healing scale.
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Update

Ok, here's more. I will be calling doctor's office in the morning.

I have felt progressively worse throughout the day. Not a lot more pain, just weaker. Tired, worn out feeling and headache all day. I alternated my pain pill (darvocet w/ tylenol) and my migraine medicine (also w/ tylenol) today to try to obtain relief.

Here's what I am thinking has happened. I think I probably ripped something loose that caused bleeding. (gushing feeling) I think that has caused some blood loss which has brought on the headaches, fatigue and weakness.

I did have to receive 2 unit of blood the day after my surgery due to a possible "slow bleed" from surgery. I remember feeling the same weakness and having major headaches.

I tried talking with hubby about everything this evening, but he basically blew me off. He told me I'm just feeling the normal things expected after major surgery.

Oh, and the night that the popping, gushing thing happened I told him what I had felt and that I wondered what it was. I said it must be good because I felt better. He said, "Well, if it doesn't kill you it must be good!"

I'm not feeling much support from him right now. And I was even bragging about him the other day!
Unread 04-01-2008, 02:40 AM

chellebelle:
Definitely call this morning... and as for hubby... if he isn't supportive, get someone close that will be... only you can take care of you and you must at this time...
And remember, we are all here to talk to at one time or another... Good luck
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:47 AM

I finally got a call back from the nurse. I now have an appointment in a couple of hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register