Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Unread 04-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Please let us know how you are doing.
I think hubby needs to wake up or something.
We are here though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Ok, back from appt. I explained everything to doctor. He said was probably scar tissue breaking loose or a stitch dislodging. Then he had me lay down and he pushed around on my tummy. Talk about pain! I was in tears while he was doing it. He said it's probably just a nerve that's been trapped and that it will get better. I go back in one week.

Needless to say, I feel like it was a wasted trip. But at least hubby took me to Dairy Queen for a Moolatte! Yummy!!!
Unread 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM

Hi Michelle, this brings back memories from one of my heart surgeries in the past. I remember a stitch that tore/popped in my ribcage, then came the unbearable pain. I went in and my thorasic surgeon could feel the rib was unstable; he prescribed Demerol and rest. It took a while to heal. When it happened, I was putting on my coat....as I stretched my arm to find the sleeve, it popped. That easy; I couldn't believe it. The least little thing can make for huge surprises. I've had so many surgeries and you'd think this would be a easy ride for me. Every surgery is different. Let your body be your guide, and your doctor, and your hyst sisters. So glad he didn't find anything too alarming; you did the right thing by going to have it checked out. Oh! and you definitely derseved the little treat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Pain is unbearable!

I am still having the pain I described above. It is just too much. It is consuming me. Every aspect of my life revolves around this pain; the way I sit, stand, walk and sleep is affected. I am frequently in tears from the pain and just lay in bed miserable.

I called the doctor on Friday to request more pain medicine, as the 600mg ibuprophen he had me on just wasn’t working. (I had been taking Darvocet 100mg w/ 650mg Tylenol and when I ran out he said to take 3 ibuprophen.) On Friday he called in Darvon 65mg. They just aren’t cutting it either. They just make me groggy and don’t take the pain away.

I don’t know what could be causing this pain. If it is a trapped nerve as the doctor suggested, why can’t he do something about it? Or what else could be causing it?

I can handle all the other pain associated with the surgery. The incision area is healing nicely, only a mild achy feeling. I have vaginal pain, but it is manageable. I have mild bladder discomfort when empty, but again manageable. Even my hormones seem to be leveling out. I just cannot handle this terrible pain in the lower left abdominal/pelvic area.

Thank you for letting me vent.
Unread 04-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi Michelle, I know a little about pain meds and the meds you listed are not going to take care of your pain. Darvon is Darvocet without the tylenol.
You need to ask him to put you on Mepergan. It is Demerol plus phenergren...it is anti-nausea combination. I cannot believe you are only taking ibuprophen. My cousin is an RN and says that Darvocet is just a little stronger than tylenol. This is terrible pain management for you. You need to call s/he and demand something stronger....mention the Mepergan, I promise you it will take care of the pain. I can take 1-2 pills every 6-8 hours. Bless your heart no wonder you aren't getting any pain relief.
You have a right as a patient for better care, so don't be afraid to speak up.
I've had apprx. 16 operations in my lifetime, I know what I'm talking about.
Please let me know how you do. I wish there were more I could do for you. Vent all you want if it makes you feel better....I doubt it.

Pansy- 45
vertical abdominal incision, total hysterectomy, vaginal sling, and bladder sling.
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:15 AM

Maybe you should go to the ER. Sounds like your Dr isn't much help. I thought server pain wasn't good and it sounds like it isn't getting better. I hope your feeling better!
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM

I am still really ticked off about my doctor's appointment from yesterday afternoon. I'm so ticked off that I really don't want to talk about it, but I realize I need to let off some steam so here goes...

I told him I was still having the pain on the lower left side. He didn't even look at or touch that area. (He did check incision though.) He again said it's probably just a trapped nerve and that it will get better. He told me to give it some time and if it's still not better that he will give me lidocaine shots. OUCH! I asked him for more/different pain medicine because what I had wasn't working. He told me I should really just be taking ibuprophen at this point. I reminded him that I tried that last week and ended up calling in for a prescription. He said he'd give me a refill on the Darvon. I asked him about the medicines that Pansy mentioned above and he said he would only give me Darvon.

He started me on the lowest dose Premarin (0.3mg) due to ovaries being in shock. I've had mood swings, hot flashes, etc. He gave me 4 weeks worth of samples and told me to let him know if it's working and he'll give me a prescription. He did not give me any information on Premarin or side effects or anything.

I also asked him about a possible rectocele and he said he wouldn't even discuss that until I had completely healed from the hysterectomy. I'm having major problems with constipation. I had the same problems before the hysterectomy, but had hoped the surgery would help.

And then here's the big kicker...I asked when I needed to go back for my next appointment and he said I didn't! He said he didn't need to see me again and to just come back when something comes up! I asked about the lower left pain, and he said I could come back in 3 weeks for the lidocaine shots but that he really didn't need to see me again.

I am so frustrated with this man. I don't understand why he doesn't need to see me again. Doesn't he need to check the vaginal cuff? Doesn't he need to see me because of the Premarin?

Ok, well that's enough venting. I am in tears again.
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Oh, you poor dear!! How frustrating!! No support from your doctor or your husband and 4 kids to take care of. I'm sure your husband didn't mean to blow you off, though. You do need a little pick-me-up. I wish there was more we could do besides listen and pray. Let me pray for you right now: "Father, thank You that You promised never to leave nor forsake. Thank You that even though people here might disappoint us, You will always be by our side. Please come alongside this sister and bring her comfort and peace. Allow her to get some rest. Allow her relief from the pain. Give her the assurance that day by day, minute by minute, things will get better. Let her know how very much You love her and that You're on her side and by her side!! Please send someone her way to encourage and lift her up!! In Jesus' name, Amen". Okay, sister, get some rest as you can. Take comfort in knowing "this too shall pass" and your pain will fade with time. And if it doesn't get better, the ER is the place to be!!
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Chellebelle - is this doc your GP or the surgeon?

I get the feeling it is your surgeon -

PLEASE see your GP or even go to emerg. "trapped nerve' sounds, to me, like a way of saying, "I don't know, and blowing it off".

HUGS!
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Michelle---please let us know how you're doing!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register