Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling? Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Unread 04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Severe abd pain, then big "pop" feeling?

Hi Chellebelle. I just don't like the sound of any of this either. I was feeling fabulous a few days post op and Dr had just released me to go home when I suddenly started to vomit, temperature soared etc. Turned out I had a slow bleed and an infection but there was no sign of it even half an hour earlier. Now that you are in pain too, I agree with the sisters, get a second opinion. Don't cave to those (including Dr & DH) who don't get it. You have 1 chance to recover well and it will be much worse for everyone if you don't press this and get the medical advice and help you need. Did your Dr do a blood test to check your red blood count? (My surgeon was checking mine every few hours for days before he was satisfied I was not in danger and I am having another next week to make sure I am still on track) and I managed to just avoid a transfusion unlike you. My prayers are with you but please continue to be proactive about your health on this matter. Looking forward to hearing good news from you soon on how you get on. Remember you a princess even if the servants are starting to slack off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Anita, thank you for the lovely prayer. And thank you to all for the touching concern.

Arly3-thank you! That was my impression, that he was just blowing me off! And yes, he is my gyn surgeon.

I do not currently have a GP. But, this afternoon I decided I needed to find one since I just don't feel I'm getting the care I deserve. I actually called my kids pediatrician (who I trust a great deal) to see who he would recommend. Luckily the doc he suggested is on my insurance plan. I now have an appointment with him on Monday morning for a full physical.

Oh, and my hubby is doing 100% better with the situation. (OK, well at least 90%...he is a man after all!) He was with me at my appointment last week and saw how painful it was when the doc pushed around on my tummy. And he also heard first hand how the doc just blew me off. So we had a nice talk and he's been extremely helpful. The poor dear has to put up with my many phone calls during the day when I'm in tears and begging him to come home!

I've decided to not depend on my gyn any longer. I'll hold out for the GP appt and hope for the best.
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Hi Alison. It sounds like you have a great doctor!

I have not had any lab work since 2 days after the surgery, which was the day after the blood transfusion and the day before I was discharged. I am now 3 weeks post-op and have no idea what my blood count is. Yet another source of frustration.

Oh, and another thing. I requested copies of reports yesterday at appointment and signed the medical release form. Then they told me that it would be up to the doctor to release them or not and to call in a couple of days to check on it. HELLO! My medical records means I don't have to ask permission for them!

You know, this doctor was so good with me when I had my daughter in 2000. He was so kind and was always there when I needed him. That was when he had his own practice. Now he's in this big women's clinic thing where there are about 10-12 doctors. He's just completely different.

I cannot wait for Monday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM

I really don't want to scare you, but I had that happen when I was in the hospital. Heard a pop and then I had a lot of burning pain later in the day. They ended up having to take me back to surgery because internal incision opened up. I hope that your problem isn't the same thing.
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Cheryann, thank you for your response. And no, you didn't scare me. I know there is something more than just a trapped nerve. I just have to find a doctor that's willing to try to figure it out. I hadn't thought of the internal incision opening up though. How did you do afterwards? Did it start healing well? And further problems with it?
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:58 PM

I actually started feeling much better after the repair surgery. I live by myself and only have someone to come over once a week so I think I overdo things. Last week I had some good days followed by a sore day. Today has been a very good day. I had no pain or discomfort at all today. Incision seems to be healing well. Itches though sometimes. I am just glad it happened while I was still in the hospital.
Unread 04-11-2008, 04:36 AM

Michelle, do you still have really bad pain? After a lap procedure 20 years ago, I had excruciating pain the next day and had to go into emergency open abdominal surgery to repair the slow bleeds. The pain was awful when blood was in the abdominal cavity.
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Yes, I still have the pain.

The day after my hysterectomy my doctor told me that I most likely had a slow bleed and that I needed the 2 unit of blood. He said the bleed would probably take care of itself. I do remember LOTS of test were run that day before I received the blood. 2 men came in with a big machine to check my legs for clots. And I remember going down to have a CT scan done. (the one with the contrast that makes you feel like you wet yourself)

Ok, when the popping feeling happened, I could feel some kind of liquid gushing from the area of the pop. So at my appointment last week (the 1st after discharge) I asked him about the possiblity of the slow bleed still being active. He said that my color was good so he wasn't worried about it!

Even if it really is a trapped nerve, isn't there something they can do to check it out? Do an ultrasound or something to rule out bleeding and other problems? I just don't undertand his attitude about all of this.
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM

You are not being treated by this Dr you are being blown off.
Don't waste your time or precious energy... I hope you see your new GP soon and that the GP will schedule appropriate followup tests.
So sorry you have to deal with this : (
TC
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Chellebelle~~ Please keep us posted hon on what is going on with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register