Weight loss after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight loss after TAH Weight loss after TAH

Unread 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Weight loss after TAH

Hi Everyone, are any of you losing weight since your surgery? I have to admit, when I first found out that I had to have a hysterectomy, one of my first thoughts was "...OMG, I'm going to gain weight"...I'm not proud to admit this, but that thought probably popped into my head before any concerns about my health issues :-( In my defense, I've worked hard at losing about 60 lbs and maintaining that weight loss for about 8 years, also, all of the people that I personally know who had hysterectomies, gained weight after their surgery, so I definitely thought I was facing a weight-gain sentence.

I'm pleased to say that I've actually LOST 8 lbs since the morning of my surgery two weeks ago. Since I can't workout for another 6 weeks or so, I've made an effort to do the following on a daily basis:

1. Drink AT LEAST 64 oz water DAILY (this is bare minimum)
2. Eat a light breakfast within 1 hr of waking up
3. Eat 3 meals and AT LEAST 3 snacks daily to keep the metabolism stoked
4. Eat meals on small plates
5. cut out ALL PROCESSED FOODS...hmmm, ok, the salad dressing is processed, but that's about it
6. Make sure AT LEAST one meal or snack is a salad

Ok ladies, I know this isn't rocket science, but it's what's been working for me, by the way, plese notice that the ONLY foods omitted from my eating are processed foods (I eat carbs, fat, wheat). I have a square of dark chocolate after AT LEAST two of my daily meals ....but I'm wondering a little bit about post-operative metabolism. I'm beginning to think that perhaps our metabolic rates 'might' be a bit higher post operatively because our bodies are expending so much energy to heal. What are your thoughts on this? Are any of you losing weight too? If so, what is your eating like?

I must admit, that the people I know personally who have gained weight after hyst it has been due to their eating and activity levels. I also know that even when I'm active, if I don't eat correctly I gain weight...it's just physics. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Weight loss after TAH

hi I had a total hysterectomy in june 2007 and since dec I have gained almost 1 and a half stone all arond my mid drift dispite walking everywhere as i don't drive and am on 50mg hrt patches it really is getting me down and my doc is not listening to me when I talk about it with him. any sugestions please.
Unread 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Weight loss after TAH

I found that my post-op caloric intake was a bit different, needed to be a little higher -- but I'm also working out at Curves again (regained my energy), and since the end of January I've lost 7 lbs of body fat, and several inches. I'm thinking of adding Pilates (I have a DVD) because another voice teacher recommended it for building ab strength post-surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Weight loss after TAH

I have lost about 5 pounds. I have not had much of an appetite.

It is funny that you said that your first concern was weight gain because mine was too, that is why I had put if off for so many years. I could have cared less about any other issues I just do/did not want to gain weight. The doctor told me prior to my surgery that if I do not change any of my eating habits and such that it should not be a problem for me. Yeah right too bad I didn't get that in writing. ha ha ha
Unread 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Weight loss after TAH

Thanks to my bowel problems after surgery (didn't go for 10 days!), I ate mostly foods to help that and drank as much water as I could stomach. I weighed about 2 weeks post-surgery and had lost 5 pounds. I am still trying to eat as wisely as possible, have virtually cut out sugar and processed foods altogether and am eating all antioxidants that I can. I'm still at my lower weight (at 5 weeks) and looking forward to a more rigorous exercise program when I am healed. Another encouragement: I have a friend who had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago and she is in excellent shape, physique like her 20 year old daughter's - but she does work hard at it. It can be done!
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Weight loss after TAH

Gidget1, I'm so sorry you're dealing with the weight gain at a year post op. My original post did not take into account HRT and I have to admit, I really don't know much about it or its effects on metabolic rate. I know you say your Dr. pretty much ignores you when you talk about the weight, but have you considered speaking to a nutritionist about the weight issue?

Soprano, congrats on your weight loss. I'd definitely be interested to know how you do with the pilates video the first few times. It's definitely a great ab workout. nlee, thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only person to think about my weight first thing, hee hee, yeah, a written guarantee for no post hyst weight gain would be great. Southernsis...WOOHOOO to your friend with the 20yo physique. That's definitely motivating....I'm anxiously awaiting my next post-op visit and getting the ok to do cardio and weights.

Have a great day everyone.
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Weightloss after TAH

I just had my surgery last Monday - one week ago. At first I freaked because I was up 5 lbs but realized it was from all the IV fluids and my surgery was laproscopic so all that gas they have to pump into you. Now I'm down that 5 lbs plus a couple more and the scale is headed downward. I'm 43 and joined a gym a couple years ago and have been religious about exercise by taking an aerobics/dance class at least 4 times per week and preferably 5-6. I'm very concsious right now of my weight because I'm soo use to the exercise every day that I'm worried without it I will gain. (not to mention it does wonders for my mental health) I'm still on pain meds so suffering from a little nausea and not eating alot at all but I'm trying to eat healty when I do eat something. I know that in 6-8 wks when I'm given my ok to go back to my exercise routine, I will be more diligent than ever because I've worked soo hard for the last couple years on that part of my life that I don't want to get discouraged with any weight gain at all...that would surely send me over the edge. I've been struggling for my ideal weight of 135 for about 15 years and I'm only 5 lbs away now so I'm hoping that a positive comes out of this surgery in that I'll see that number on the scale. Did you have an abdominal cut or laprascopic? How soon were you feeling good enough to get back to your normal exercise regime????
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Weight loss after TAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors
I'm 43 and joined a gym a couple years ago and have been religious about exercise by taking an aerobics/dance class at least 4 times per week and preferably 5-6. ... I've been struggling for my ideal weight of 135 for about 15 years and I'm only 5 lbs away now so I'm hoping that a positive comes out of this surgery in that I'll see that number on the scale.
Congrats on the hard work. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're in the size you want to wear, I wouldn't worry so much about scale -- I'll never be down to an "ideal number" but if I can get back into a pure 14 (not the women's) I'll be good with it.
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Weight loss after TAH

I had my TAH on the 17th (two weeks today) but I haven't been cleared for exercise yet (nor am I feeling up to it), so like you, I'm definitely looking forward to being able to workout again. I figure I've only got one chance to heal correctly from this surgery so I'm definitely not going to rush working out. Once I get the green light, I plan on taking it slow and easing back into my exercise routine. Congrats on your weight loss and being so close to your goal :-)
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
weightloss after op

Hi goldEElocks,
Thanks for your reply I have been exercising but to no avail I don't think the hrt agrees with me as I said I will try it for the rest of the month and then consider getting off it and going on something natural like yema all the best with your own recovery.
Gidget1

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register