Resuming activities | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Resuming activities Resuming activities

Unread 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Resuming activities

went on friday to my first post op visit, and my doctor said I could drive already I thought that was odd!! can you all tell me when your doctor said you could:

drive
have sex
bend
stop taking medication for pain (only take 600mg of motrin or advil every 6-8 hours if needed)
start doing normal things like lifting things...etc...

I dont trust my doctor too much on this...just want to be sure...I dont think I will be driving until after my 2nd week...what do you think?
thank you for your input....just dont want to suffer later

blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Resuming activities

I was told no driving till pain free and off of narcotics. Stopped Perc's last Wed. and driving myself to PCP appointment today for the first time. I am 2 1/2 weeks out.

PS: Everyone else STAY OFF of the road I will be out around 1-3pm
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Resuming activities

Nicole....you are so funny....how are you feeling?
blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Resuming activities

My dr said no driving until 4 - 6 weeks - I started to drive around 4 weeks but only very short distance as it still hurt to hit bumps and if I had to slam the brakes on or something I was afraid that I might rip something.
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Resuming activities

My dr said no driving for 2 weeks, and none of the other stuff for 4 to 6 weeks. Not sure about the pain pills though. She sent me home with a bottle of 800 mg ibuprofen and a bottle of Vicodin. For some reason, she put 4 refills on the Vicodin and none on the ibuprofen.
Unread 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Resuming activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsweety
My dr said no driving for 2 weeks, and none of the other stuff for 4 to 6 weeks. Not sure about the pain pills though. She sent me home with a bottle of 800 mg ibuprofen and a bottle of Vicodin. For some reason, she put 4 refills on the Vicodin and none on the ibuprofen.
Wow! My doc sent me home with the bottle of 800mg ibuprofen and 20 vicodin with only 1 refill. It has been tough cause I'm out now and there are still nights when I could really use a half of one or so. I'm sure I will need one when I am home Wed. night, since that is my first day back to work. But to answer the initial question, my doc said no driving until off pain meds and pain free. I drove for the first time two weeks after surgery. Was not easy the first couple of times, ended up a little sore. But I must say that I was well aware that even if I had been completely healed I might have had some pain since I really hadn't used any of those muscles for weeks. There is something to be said about that. Everything else was pretty much 6 weeks before I could do it. The weird thing is that he said I could go to the gym after 4 weeks but never said what I could and couldn't do.
Unread 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Resuming activities

LOL Nicole that P.S. is funny

No one told me...so I was driving day 3

My doc today at my postop appt said so are you driving now? I said Ive been driving since day 3 no one told me not to...I was luckily ok but, apparently that is a big no no first cpl weeks
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Resuming activities

I had my 2 week post-op today and was told I could drive. I know the first 2 weeks you can't because you don't have the strengh to press on the break if needed. Dr said nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. I still have the lifting & working out restriction. He also said I have to start winging myself off of the pain meds. I have some left and I'm taking them if I have too!
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Resuming activities

driving was after 2 weeks (they want you off heavy drugs)
sex- 6 weeks (or after post op and cleared) mine was ok at 5wk 1 day out
pain meds- as needed, you have to be that deciding factor
bend & other "normal" activities- as close to 6 weeks as possible, dont want to hurt anything on the inside!!
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Replies

Drive: Two weeks post-op although I didn't feel I was able to until four weeks post-op
Have sex: Six Weeks
Bend: No mention of this but it was uncomfortable so I stooped instead..much better for the back.
Stop taking medication for pain: nothing was prescribed for me, and I didn't take anything after five days post-op
Start doing normal things like lifting things...etc: Six Weeks

YAY my SIX WEEKS IS TOMORROW!! I'm back at work part time as of today for one week & then full time next. I went back a week early so I could ease back into it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register