Resuming activities - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Resuming activities Resuming activities

Unread 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Resuming activities

I was allowed to drive when I stopped taking the pain meds. Sex we could try after 6 week check up and I will tell I was very scared and tense! It was uncomfortable because I was so scared it was going to hurt. My doctors pretty layed back, he doesnt give specific times for anything because everyone heals differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Resuming activities

Drive: 1.5 weeks after done with pain meds
Have sex: 4 weeks
Bend: only as tolerated
Stop taking medication for pain: ASAP
Start doing normal things like lifting things...etc: Six Weeks
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Resuming activities

I started driving after 2 weeks, and off pain meds, aside from an occasional ibuprofen. It has to be short distances though. However, I haven't been cleared for anything else yet, I have started doing light pilates with my physical therapist though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Resuming activities

My Dr said no driving for at least 1 week, or until I'm off of my percocet. No sex or anything in the vagina for 6 weeks. No bath or jacuzzi for 6 weeks. No bending for 2 weeks. Pain meds as needed, but not to be heroic because the body can heal slower if it's expending energy fighting the pain. No lifting anything heavier than 10 lbs til 6 week check up. Isn't it odd how everyone gets different instructions. Just goes to show how individual we all are, & how our situations are all so similar, yet different. Good luck all.
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Resuming activities

I drove 3 days after my surgery but only a couple blocks. I feel better already and I had surgery March 25. I stopped taking my pain meds 3 days after surgery. I noticed most everyone has had dr apps. within a couple of weeks of their surgery but my first appointment isn't for 6 weeks. Why is that?
Unread 04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Resuming activities

I was driving 2 weeks after tah- but only to my kids school and back a mile or so away! The speed bumps were so painful for like a month!
sex- was 7 or 8 weeks- I had a cuff infection
I stopped taking pain meds a week or two after because I didn't like being out of it.
Lifting things- it was a couple of months,
Acting like my old self, wrestling with kids, yard work, up to former activity level- it was 3 months-
Unread 04-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Resuming activities

Quote:
drive
I was driving on the 3rd day but, my doc told me I was supposed to have waited two weeks (after the fact of course)

Quote:
have sex
6 weeks

Quote:
bend
My doc said as able and to listen to my body

Quote:
stop taking medication for pain
I was on 5mg Percoset after about a week and a half I didnt need them too much but my doc only gave me 20 so I made them stretch...

Quote:
start doing normal things like lifting things...etc...
No lifting over 10 lbs for first 6 weeks after that gradually get back into lifting as able...dont try to be Super woman though bc it takes anywhere from 6 months to a yr for ALL the inside stuff to heal completely...
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Resuming activities

Hello everyone!

No one told me about NOT DRIVING, however, I figured the restriction was due to the pain meds. Since I only took 1 Percocet the night I came home (puked my guts out), I was driving short distances by Saturday (day 4). I also had no problems with lower body strength and pumping the brake was not an issue for me. The only things that bothered me were bumps in the road and railroad crossings (which I approached very carefully). As I said before I have had no pain since the first night home. Stopped Ibuprofen after day 5. It was causing constipation, and it's not very good for the heart. Still Driving though. Drove to the furniture store and ordered new Kitchen dinnette!
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Resuming activities

My dr. put me on a "do as you feel you can" restriction. Which I also thought was ODD. The only thing he was insistant on was no intercourse for 6 weeks. I am 1 week and 2 days out and still have trouble standing straight up for a period of time.
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Resuming activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
went on friday to my first post op visit, and my doctor said I could drive already I thought that was odd!! can you all tell me when your doctor said you could:

drive
have sex
bend
stop taking medication for pain (only take 600mg of motrin or advil every 6-8 hours if needed)
start doing normal things like lifting things...etc...

I dont trust my doctor too much on this...just want to be sure...I dont think I will be driving until after my 2nd week...what do you think?
thank you for your input....just dont want to suffer later

blessings,

I am three weeks out but keep in mind my surgery went far beyong just a TVH (see signature line),

driven - I was just told yesterday I could drive. However, I drove for the first time this morning just to take the kids to school and I could not wait to get home and get off of my butt. Now that we're packing it again.......it's much more irritated that it was before.

have sex - not that it really matters since we're separated but it's gonna be a very long time for me....at least 9 more weeks (12 weeks total) and then we're not even sure about that.

bend - I don't know when I started bending but even when I do now, it's only when necessary and very slowly. If I can get someone else to pick something up, I will. To much pulling on those butt and perineum stitches.

stop taking medication for pain - I was on OxyContin for long term pain then Percocet for break through pain for two weeks. Now I'm strictly on 800 mg. ibuprofen as needed. I still have the OxyContin and Percocet just in case but so far I really don't need it. Plus, if I take it I can't drive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register