Premarin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Premarin

Anybody taking this? I've heard it is made out of horse urine. I'm having troubles with my insurance company letting me have the name brand for my HRT patch so my Dr wants to try premarian. I had emotional side effects from the generic patch so I refuse to use it.

Anybody taking this or know anything about it? Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Premarin

SW, I just went and picked up my new prescription. I have been having terrible night sweats, and dicontinued BCP with my TVH on the 13th. DR said this should help with that and with insomnia and mood swings, which I thought was just me, maybe it's not. I am looking for info too. I did not know it was made of horse pee, ugh. lets see what people say...
Unread 03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Premarin

Hi!

Yes, Premarin is derived from the urine of mares but it doesn't actually contain horse urine. Many women successfully use Premarin for their hormone therapy and do very well on it. Others try it and find that it's just not the right hormone therapy for their needs. There are plenty of options when it comes to hormone therapy so if one doesn't work for you or you choose not to take it for any reason, you can ask for something else.

There is good information to read about the various hormone choices in this link: Hormone Jungle Articles. Premarin is listed with the conjugated estrogens. There are a couple of other choices in that category but they are plant-based rather than equine based. You could ask your doctor about getting a prescription for Cenestin or Enjuvia in place of the Premarin if you want to use a conjugated estrogen.

If you want to use the same bio-identical estrogen that is in the estrogen patches, you could ask the doctor for a prescription for Estrace (or the generic for it) in pill form. Even without insurance you can get generic Estrace at pharmacies such as Wal-Mart for $4.

I hope this helps! Good luck finding a hormone therapy that suits you.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Premarin

Thanks I wasn't sure about the horse urine. Thanks for the link I will look at it!
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Premarin

My doctor put me on Permarin from the start and I feel great . . . my mood swings, crying jags, and hot flashes are far and few between. I'm 6 weeks postop and have had only one night on insomnia. Different meds for different people but this seems to working well for me. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Premarin

I started premarin less than a week after surgery and I feel great. I am 3 wks post-op yesterday. I feel like a new woman already. Has anyone heard of premarin making you itchy?
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Premarin

I'm also on premarin. I started it day after TAH/BSO. So far so good - no mood swings, crying, or moodiness!! Thank god! Does anyone know if Wal-mart, Kroger or Walgreens is cheaper on this prescription?
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Premarin

Thanks ladies! It is one pill a day, right. Have any of you been getting dizzy? The patch seems to be making me dizzy. I know meds react differently for everyone, I'm just wondering what my future may hold for me. LOL
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Premarin

i took my first pill last night, and still sweated all night and I have a pounding headache right now, but just came home from work. i have trouble with identifying new side effects. i will try to be on top of this one, i hope it stops the sweats.
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
hormones

Ladies,
please go to the book store & read up on bio identical hormones. Premarin and Provera arent the only thing out there. They are great for a lot of women, but for some there just not the right one. At the moment i am overwhelmed by all the choices, as it's a lot of trial and error.im going in to a compounding pharmacy Thursday to try Bio identicals, i'lll keep ya'll posted on how it goes.
Just one more hurdle to get over i guess
Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register