What is Vicodin for? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is Vicodin for? What is Vicodin for?

Unread 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
What is Vicodin for?

what is vicodin for? is that for pain ? my doctor gave me 20 percoset when I left the hospital and no refills. when I asked for more, he said no because this was very addictive and it does not help to poop. so, I am just in motrin.

blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
What is Vicodin for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
what is vicodin for? is that for pain ?
Vicodin consist of hydrocodone and acetominophen. I believe it's a little stronger then Tylenol 3, which the dr had given me for the pain the fibroid was causing.
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:45 PM
What is Vicodin for?

Vicodin helps take the edge off the pain. Although it can carry the risk of addiction, my doctor did refill it once for me, because I was in a lot of pain a week later. Then I switched to Motrin after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM
What is Vicodin for?

Hiya, my doc gave me one prescription of vicodin and also a prescription for ibuprofen. When the vicodin ran out, she would not refill it. She did however refill it with darvocet, it is a bit milder, however it does not have the addictive qualities as vicodin.
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
What is Vicodin for?

I had a script for vicodin-pharmacy filled it with percacit-when I had tubes done couple yrs ago. It's a pain killer but it put me rt. to sleep. I was dissappointed that I had been given a drug people are addicted to and I didn't even get a buzz. I still have some left too. Didn't take anything this time around.
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
What is Vicodin for?

I still have quite a few pills left on my rx of Vicodin - and that was filled a month and a half before my hysterectomy for the possible pain I would have for my cone biopsy.

Needless to say, I guess I didn't need it as much as I thought!
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
What is Vicodin for?

(((4hisglory))) - When you mention Motrin, are you referring to RX strength Motrin? If not, ask your doc to write a script for that. Be sure you take it as prescribed (i.e. every 6-8 hours) -- don't wait for the pain to kick in before you start taking it. Once I learned that I needed to keep it in my system, I did much better. Good luck.
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
What is Vicodin for?

I can't take vicodin, when I had my gallbladder surgery I was given vicodin and I could see a ton of spiders crawling all over me, but I didn't care because the vicodin, relaxed me. Normally I would of screamed because I really really hate spiders.
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM
What is Vicodin for?

My dr originally tried me on Tylenol 3 for the pain from the fibroid. When she asked how it was working, I told her that it worked great for the fibroid, but was giving me major headaches. So after the surgery, she prescribed the Vicodin.

4hisglory, I would ask for the prescription strength Motrin too. I went home with 800 mg ibuprofen prescription. My dr trusted me to take which ever one I felt would work at the time. I had 30 of each, and still have over half the Vicodin and a fourth of the Ibuprofen. I've started taking 2 to 3 Advil in place, and so far so good. Just need the stronger ones at bedtime.
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
hi there,

to 4hisglory,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
what is vicodin for? is that for pain ? my doctor gave me 20 percoset when I left the hospital and no refills. when I asked for more, he said no because this was very addictive and it does not help to poop. so, I am just in motrin.

blessings,
first of all, i am a certified pharmacy technician, BUT... you should always talk to your doctor or nurse about your care.

Percocet is the Generic name for Oxycodone. Other names uou might be familar with are Percodan, Endodan, Roxiprin, Endocet, Roxicet, Tylox OxyContin . Alot of doctors do not like to give it out for pain more than one time or 2 depending on your pain level and type of surgery, because it CAN BE addictive, and it also does induce constipation in their patients. And for Women after having a Hysterectomy, Constipation is the last thing we want. But, I think, if you are still in alot of pain, you should call your doctor back, and tell him so. IF he still doesnt' want to prescribe Percocet there are others he can give you. Tylenol 3, Darvocet, lortab, Vicodin. Lortab and Vicodin are brand names for Hydrocodone/acetaminophen tablets. lortab comes in strengh 5/500 and vicodin comes 7.5/500

So you see, you are talking about 2 very different drugs here. Also about the Motrin/ IBU it comes 800 mgs and 600 mgs. the reason for taking the motrin is that after surgery it helps to work as a pain management medication, but it also helps as a antiinflamitory, to help you heal.

I hope this helps explain things to you better, please call your doctor if you are still having pain, the last thing the doctor wants is you still having pain i am sure. There are other medications that he can give you to help with the pain.

Best wishes.

Mysticalmee.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register