Question for LSH princesses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for LSH princesses Question for LSH princesses

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Question for LSH princesses

Day four post op and the Dr says I can drive today. There is no way I feel able to do that as I still feel light headed - I wouldn't want anyone like me on the road!! I am reading all these posts about the restrictions and am confused. I had LSH/BSO on the 28th. Dr says driving is ok starting today, light exercise starting Friday and back to normal in 2 weeks. I only have one deep internal stitch as he used glue on all my incisions - internal and external. Is the difference that I was glued up instead of stitched? Has anyone been able to have that quick of a recovery time? I am so hopeful that he was right but I am starting to have doubts as I woke up feeling crappy and very weepy this morning. Didn't help that my DH went back to work this morning and his parting words were "the Dr said you would be feeling pretty good today so you need to start telling yourself that instead of focusing on feeling bad." For anyone that knows me, I really try hard to look on the bright side but right now I am nauseous, have belly pain and my belly button is leaky so I'm having a little trouble being positive! I need some positive reinforcement that LSH is a quick recovery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi!
I know from reading posts here that lots of women recovered very fast from the LSH/BSO.

I was not one of them despite what the surgeon said. I made an apt with my regular doc who took one look at me and said to take it easy and it was going to take me longer to recover.

Everyone heals differently and you need to listen to your body. My surgeon told me at 3 weeks I could have sex. This is after giving me a pelvic where I nearly hit the ceiling. He just paid no attention nor did he listen to me.

I think he missed the bedside manners class.

At any rate only do what you are up to doing. I believe it was two weeks before I was supposed to drive.

Don't get the feeling you should be doing more than your body is ready for or you could wind up not healing correctly.

Hope this helps.

Lizzy
Unread 04-01-2008, 05:55 AM

Anything helps right now! I wake up every morning crying and I just want to feel better like the doc said I should by now! I really am trying to keep my chin up but I still feel pretty bad and alone after the comment my DH made this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:10 AM

When I had mine the doc gave me the all clear at my first post-op appt (10 days post-op). He actually said I would have been okay earlier than that since I didn't need pain meds. But he also said that if something didn't feel right, not to do it again for a while. I didn't drive for a few weeks after he gave me the okay to do so. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it and I didn't have any internal stitches either. He cauterized everything inside. I had stitches on the three incisions outside. I also still took it easy doing things around the house. I had mine in the summer time, so the one thing I did try to do everyday was to go outside even if it was just to sit in a lawn chair for a few minutes. I think that helped me a lot.
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM

I have taken very minimal pain meds b/c of constipation so I really thought I should be feeling better but I am still so nauseated. All of my incisions are glued - my right hip incision feels great - my left is really tight and sore (it's the bigger incision)- my belly button was leaking last night so I'm going to call to check on that today. I'm glad to hear that you didn't feel up to driving either. Every time I turn my head to fast, everything swims so I'm not confident that I could be behind the wheel right now. I keep hoping for a sunny day so I can do as you've said and spend some time in a lawn chair. I have been walking a little bit each night between rain drops to get my strength back. I am a very physically active person so this downtime is really tough to swallow but I know it's for the best.
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:34 AM

I was told no driving for two weeks; I could go back to work after two weeks full time and had to wait on sex for 3 weeks due to stitches in my cervix. Other than that I was on full release.

I went back ˝ days at two weeks did not have sex for 4 weeks, did not run a vacuum, mop or heavy lifting/cleaning until 6 weeks. I did walk as much as possible but did not return to the gym until yesterday.

I am just now really starting to feel like new women. I learned from my biopsy and the ablation I had from the same doctor. Who had me back at work the next day after the ablation and right off the table and back to work after the biopsy. I was miserable.

Doctor’s recovery dates vary from doctor and patient to patient. I believe they give you these set dates of recovery because that is what is in the brochure but everyone is different.

You are not even a week out yet. In no way did I feel good at that point. I did not venture out of the house until like 10 days and my mother drove me. I did not worrying about what other people said I should feel like and I went at my own pace.

My advice, relax and take care of you. Only you know exactly how you feel.
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Hang in there!

I am in week 7 post TVH(both ovaries removed). My doctor cleared me for everything on week 2, but I actually developed a complication(seroma) and ended up not driving until week 4. I was off pain meds and largely getting around the house, but really didn't feel strong enough to do a whole lot of anything. I had some vertigo(dizziness) that took a while to get past, and just needed time to heal.

I thought- "why am I taking so long to heal? did something go wrong? will I ever feel normal again?" I'm also very physically active and really thought that everything would be back to normal really quickly, and was pretty frustrated.

My doctor told me that she was surprised that I was slow to heal- that it was a textbook surgery, but that I should listen to my body and that it would be fine. And to be careful and not push it. And that things would come around.

I was glad I took my time getting up and around. I was glad that I had the luxury of taking my time to heal, and that everyone was super-supportive. I actually feel pretty good now, and attribute that to being careful and taking it slow up front.

Take care of yourself.

-Nancy
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM

They told me I could drive once I was off prescription pain meds. I took 1 ibuprofen last night and have had nothing today but I do not feel like I should drive at all. I feel dizzy and light headed too and my legs just don't feel as strong as they used to be. They were weaker when I first had the surgery and are getting stronger each day but if I had to slam on the brakes with this light headed feeling and weak feeling legs it could really be bad.

I think doctors go by a time frame mostly. I'm sure my doctor at 2 weeks will tell me I can have sex. That's the standard with this surgery. I'll have sex when I feel it won't hurt so if at 2 weeks I am having any soreness I won't be having sex.

Try not to worry about how you should be feeling at this point. Just try to relax and heal. I went into this with the thought that really when you think about it, it will take several months to heal. Even if after 2 weeks our incisions won't bust open that doesn't mean we have healed totally. It really takes several months.

After I had my back surgery at the two week follow up my doctor told me I could ride a bike. I gasped in the office. That was the standard for the back surgery I had. There was no way I was going to ride a bike. I really felt totally 100% myself in a couple months though. Give your body time to heal. It takes longer then 2 weeks to heal.
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM

i am one of those who had a very easy recovery. i was driving the day i came home, did light housework..life got back to normal right away for me. i was cleared for sex and running at 2 weeks..which i did. but..i did not have my ovaries removed. you might be feeling the way you are because you are in surgical menopause. have you started on any hormone replacement?
dont be hard on yourself...the websites and dr's that claim the lsh is like minor surgery are just wrong. you should start to feel better more every day and if your hormones are in check, probably very soon. if you dont, just take it easy and rest until you do. its not a race. you just had major surgery.
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM

I also have a very easy recovery. I didn't drive the day I came home because I did need pain meds until about 2 or 3 days after. But, I had my surgery on a Thursday and I drove the very next Monday and have been driving ever since (not far) as long as I haven't taken any of the prescribed pain meds.

My dr. told me the same thing, after 1 week I could start exercising again as long as I stayed within my 20 pound weight limit and I would be 100% released 2 weeks post op but I had a sling so I have an additional 2 weeks.

Today is day 12 post op and I started spring quarter at school yesterday. The drive is about 20-25 miles one way and I drove and walked to my classes, up and down stairs with my under 20 pound backpack. I posted about it earlier if you want to read how it went. Getting back to normalcy has helped me with my insomnia too. The day before school started I slept 4 hours and last night I slept 6...so I am finally getting sleep.

I had 5 glued incisions from my surgery. The big one on the bottom is still glued and so is the little one on the side, but my belly button glue fell out two days ago. And the two in my groin from the sling are still glued and I am pretty sure I have have some stitched in my vagina from the sling. But, he cauterized my cervix also. I didn't bleed for about 3 days, then I think I had a mini period because I had some brown spotting and my nipples hurt really bad. My period was all over the place before surgery, so I don't really know when I was supposed to start. But other than that...it's been an easy road through recovery (minus constipation, insomnia, traditional recovery woes).

Good Luck...only do what you think your body can do. I've never been one to have anything keep me down for long. I have too much to do! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register