Question for LSH princesses - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for LSH princesses Question for LSH princesses

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Please try not to worry!

I can certainly relate to your post. My doc told me that I should be feeling SO much better after my LSH, and I simply wasn't. Even though it has been more than two years, I remember the pain and nausea very clearly. I ended up taking nearly twice as long as my doc thought I should, and my energy level took a while to come back. I tried not to take the pain meds because I was told I shouldn't need them, but that turned out to be a bad idea because I was really in a lot of pain. And I took nausea meds for weeks after the surgery even though the doc said I shouldn't need them (she wasn't inside my body trying to throw-up). So listen to your body is my advice. Just because it is a minimally invasive hyster, it is still a big deal. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Take care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Question for LSH princesses

I had a LSH on March 11th, 3 weeks to the day, and I woke up this morning feeling like a million dollars. Prior to today, i was miserable. I had a friend have the same surgery and she was driving 3 days later. Hang in there, it will get better!
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Well, first of all, my doc told me at my 2 wk. checkup it's still major surgery and everyone heals differently. I am 18 days postop and I'm feeling better each day. I would say that this week has been much better than the last. My energy is returning, but my belly is still achy, but my doc did a lot of work to free my uterus before he could even do the hyster. At 7 days postop I developed an incision from my umbilical incision and I was on a heavy course of antibiotics that I just finished yesterday. Just listen to your body...it never lies. After my 2 wks. checkup doc said no restrictions except no sex until after my 6 wks. checkup. I started driving after I stopped taking the pain meds. I still take Motrin 1-2x a day though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM

Thank you all so much for the positive reinforcement!! Today is a little better. I still feel like my head is swimming when I turn to quickly and I have been off pain meds since Monday. I saw my fam doc on Wednesday morning b/c my left side was completely numb - including my face. Turns out the surgery aggravated a herniated disk that I am blessed to have. So, per his orders, I have two weeks of nothing - funny how it all works out! I have found that mornings are still really rough with nausea and the achy belly but by this time each day, I feel a little more clearheaded. I did start on 2 mg Estradiol the day after surgery to avoid menopause since I just turned 40 so I am hopeful that it will be an easy transition. Please keep the happy thoughts coming as it makes this so much easier to know I'm not alone. Happy Friday!!
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Hi Julia,
I'm glad you found a possible source of your feeling so bad. It's scarey when you don't know why you feel awful. I was one of the lucky ones as well. Driving within a couple of days, back to work on Day 10. I do, however, remember the nausea the first week. I think mine was hormonal -- just trying to find something that didn't make me sick or headachey. But you have to listen to your body. We all adjust to everything differently. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take it easy. Good excuse for relaxing a bit
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Oh, don't do it, don't do it!!! Four days post-op and your Dr says that you can drive????!!!!! Crazy!

I had LSH a year and a half ago. I didn't even attempt to drive until I was two weeks post-op....and even then, I found that it was more difficult as I felt a "pull" as I turned to look out the back window while changing lanes.

Four days post op is way too soon! IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampchefjul
Day four post op and the Dr says I can drive today. There is no way I feel able to do that as I still feel light headed - I wouldn't want anyone like me on the road!! I am reading all these posts about the restrictions and am confused. I had LSH/BSO on the 28th. Dr says driving is ok starting today, light exercise starting Friday and back to normal in 2 weeks. I only have one deep internal stitch as he used glue on all my incisions - internal and external. Is the difference that I was glued up instead of stitched? Has anyone been able to have that quick of a recovery time? I am so hopeful that he was right but I am starting to have doubts as I woke up feeling crappy and very weepy this morning. Didn't help that my DH went back to work this morning and his parting words were "the Dr said you would be feeling pretty good today so you need to start telling yourself that instead of focusing on feeling bad." For anyone that knows me, I really try hard to look on the bright side but right now I am nauseous, have belly pain and my belly button is leaky so I'm having a little trouble being positive! I need some positive reinforcement that LSH is a quick recovery!!
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
i am one of those who had a very easy recovery. i was driving the day i came home, did light housework..life got back to normal right away for me. i was cleared for sex and running at 2 weeks..which i did. but..i did not have my ovaries removed. you might be feeling the way you are because you are in surgical menopause. have you started on any hormone replacement?
dont be hard on yourself...the websites and dr's that claim the lsh is like minor surgery are just wrong. you should start to feel better more every day and if your hormones are in check, probably very soon. if you dont, just take it easy and rest until you do. its not a race. you just had major surgery.

Ah a bit misleading. I kept my ovaries too....I was still not where you say you were in recovery early on.

Dressedinblue, you seem to have gotten out there fast...but most do not get out there that quickly.

I too, had an easy time of it. I did not have pain meds via IV. I did take half a dose of Oxicondone every 8 hours at the hospital....meaning I had a quarter dose. LOL! I was home the next day, felt pretty good and did everything on my own quickly. Once home, I only took the Oxi when I went to sleep for the night for four nights. Then I dumped the stuff.

However, was I driving one day post op? NO WAY! Was I doing housework right away? NO WAY! This could set someone up for problems later.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks KLGM! Today is going much better but I still have the swimming head as I turn quickly. No way I would drive a car! You said that you thought it might be due to hormones and I'm wondering the same thing. Did you have to make many switches to get it right?
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampchefjul
Thanks KLGM! Today is going much better but I still have the swimming head as I turn quickly. No way I would drive a car! You said that you thought it might be due to hormones and I'm wondering the same thing. Did you have to make many switches to get it right?
Unfortunately, yes! I started on Enjuvia 1.0 from the surgeon. Within that first week was when I had the nausea, ickiness. I switched rather quickly to BiEst (biohrt),but at that point, I still didn't feel much better -- not as nauseated, though. We then tried Vivelle-dot and the headaches set in. Ughh.. Since that time (between October and January) I tried Estrogel, Divigel and different strengths of Vivelle-dot -- even went back to Enjuvia for a time (different dose)....Headaches constantly (that's my telltale sign of hormonal problems!)...So...I ended up going bioidentical (online otc) estriol cream and progesterone. I was OK, but not great -- still tired. FINALLY found a doctor somewhat knowledgable in biohrt (January), and since then have done very well. Biest/Progesterone/Testosterone. All headaches have subsided -- none in almost six weeks now
So, hang in there. You will feel better soon, but will probably have to tweak a little. Your body sounds as sensitive as mine
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgm
Unfortunately, yes! I started on Enjuvia 1.0 from the surgeon. Within that first week was when I had the nausea, ickiness. I switched rather quickly to BiEst (biohrt),but at that point, I still didn't feel much better -- not as nauseated, though. We then tried Vivelle-dot and the headaches set in. Ughh.. Since that time (between October and January) I tried Estrogel, Divigel and different strengths of Vivelle-dot -- even went back to Enjuvia for a time (different dose)....Headaches constantly (that's my telltale sign of hormonal problems!)...So...I ended up going bioidentical (online otc) estriol cream and progesterone. I was OK, but not great -- still tired. FINALLY found a doctor somewhat knowledgable in biohrt (January), and since then have done very well. Biest/Progesterone/Testosterone. All headaches have subsided -- none in almost six weeks now
So, hang in there. You will feel better soon, but will probably have to tweak a little. Your body sounds as sensitive as mine
right now the doc has me on Estradiol 2mg - minimal headaches and I am prone to them - but the swimmy head is really bothersome. the nausea is almost gone. smile! i am extremely sensitive to stuff, as you guessed! i'm trying to keep a positive thought process going that this is going to be good on the first shot - but i'm also a realist and know that there may be a few detours. has your doc checked you hormone levels - someone suggested i get that done in a month or two. i'm glad to hear that you found a doc that can really help you with all this. sounds like you've had quite a road with the hrt. you still stay so positive - that is so wonderful!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register