Bladder spasms and problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms and problems Bladder spasms and problems

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Bladder spasms and problems

LAVH/BSO was Friday. Catheter came out Saturday morning. I could NOT pee. I had a foley catheter for relief at 1:30, then needed help at 5. Lots of pressure pain. Catheter was reinserted for the night. At 8 p.m. I had bladder spasms - worse than the pain for the operation - and felt like my bladder was not draining, even with the catheter. My doctor prescribed a rectal suppository for the spasms. That worked pretty well but I was sill up at night a lot with the bladder fullness pain. Sunday morning I drank strong coffee and finally peed so I could go home without a cath. Now I pee OK in the mornimg but as the day goes on, the bladder becomes more spastic. By night, it takes forever to pee and I am not sure I am emptying my bladder. Today is my last day if Septra to prevent infection. Do I need more? Has anyone had this and does it improve? How long will it take?

Kathleen Hughes
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM

I had the same problem during my TAH/BSO and I agree the pain is 1000 times worse than the operation. I had to be recathed the next night after swelling from walking too much made me unable to pee. My doctor actually gave me IV antibiotics before I left the hospital to make sure I didn't get and infection from being cathed so many times. There is also a one dose high antibiotic that can be prescribed to make sure the infection is knocked out.

It took about a week before I felt like my bladder was fully releasing. I really had to find a relaxing position. The only way I can explain it to other people is it's like trying to pee after an orgasm... not impossible but it takes forever!
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:13 PM

I had a bladder infection at my one week post op appt with awful bladder spasms. My Dr gave me Macrobid which didn't work and then put me on Cirpo and then gave me a shot of Rochphin. He also gave me Pyridium for the spasms. It really helped and I do remember it seemed like the spasms got worse the later in the day. I also remember reading somewhere that caffiene can aggravate and make the spasms worse. I drank 100% Cranberry Juice and it helped me use the bathroom. I will be praying for you. Your right about the pain. The pain I had from the bladder spasms was honestly worse than the surgery pain.
Good luck to you
Katrina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:11 AM

I had to wear a catheter home from the hospital for 9 days. I was having bladder spasms while wearing it. She gave me a prescription for pyridum but when I went to fill it the pharmasist said to just take the generic UTI over the counter stuff they have and that seemed to help. I then was on macrobid and that also helped. I am still having peeing issues though. In the morning only a little comes out and then as I move around more my peeing gets more normal. I was told that my bladder is still swollen and it may take a while to get back to normal. I am also taking 600 mg of advil for the swelling. I am just hoping as well that as time goes on peeing will get easier and better.

Robyn
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM

It seems that bladder issues are the norm after this surgery. Drink LOTS of water and cranberry juice, stay away from ANYTHING with caffeine in it and try to stay away from any fizzy drinks. These will aggrevate your bladder. If you need to drink pop make sure it is caffeine free and clear. No pepsi, coke, root beer, etc....The dark dyes in these colas also will irritate your bladder. You must drink lots of liquid to flush out your kidneys and bladder. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the help. I spoke to my doctor this morning. I had finished my 3 days of Septra. Today I start on Bactrim. I am drinking cranbeery juice. I wish I could sit more comfortably. I want to read more on the forums but I can't get comfortable at either the desktop or laptop. Tomorrow is another day!

Kathleen
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Kathleen,
I completely understand your pain. I had my surgery 1 week ago today.
The 1st night in the hospital was horrible because of all the pain from my bladder. I honestly do not think the catheter was draining correctly. I complained nonstop all night to no avail. I have a friend who came to see me the next day, she is a nurse in OB, at the same hospital. She told me they "changed brands of foley's a year ago and that you had to work with them to get the flow going". I wound up having to stay an extra night because i could not pee but a little bit at a time after the foley was removed. I finally got relief when they did a straight (or in and out) catheter on me. I had 900 cc's of urine in there! The nurse said no wonder i was so miserable. I had to endure straight cath's every 4 hours all night long. I got to go home when i could pee more at a time.
I am now a week post-op and my bladder still doesn't feel quite normal. I have been drinking lots of water and limiting my caffeine. I don't have an infection because my urine was checked yesterday when i had to go back to the Dr's office to have a large hematoma/bruise looked at(long story).
Maybe the bactrim and juice will help. I hope you feel better soon.

Unread 04-03-2008, 06:46 AM

I'm doing better today and thank you again for all your help. It will be one week tomorrow so I'm sure I'm over the worst of it. I expected the recovery from surgert - I did not expect worrying about a future with Depends - so I'm willing my bladder to get better.
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
OTC Meds for Bladder Spasms

I am 10 days post-Op from a LAH and a TOT sling. I ended up with a UTI, which I think has cleared by continuing to take the antibiotics that my dr. prescribed before the surgery. I've also been having bladder spasms since I had my catheter removed (after leaving the hospital with it for a week) 4 days ago. I know that the UTI and spasms are completely expected after my type of operation, but I have been so uncomfortable and have wincing pain every time I urinate.

Since today is Saturday, does anyone know of a safe OTC med. that I can try for some relief so I don't have to bother my doc. on the weekend? I've been taking the 800mg Motrin tablets that he prescribed pre-op on a regular basis, but that doesn't seem to help. Any advice would really be appreciated. THANKS!
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:21 AM

I think you should call your doctor. The motrin is, I think, the strongest prescription dose. More could hurt your stomach. If you don't have left-over pain pills to take, you definitely need them. Bladder spasms are the most excruciating pain I have ever had. You could also have a bladder infection that needs a stronger antibiotic. Also- there is a suppository prescribed for me in the hospital that is a "one time only" dose for bladder spasms. It works fairly well but I don't know the name. Maybe your doctor can help. Just remember, you are not interrupting anyone's weekend. Someone is always "on call." Good luck!!!!

Kathleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register