Bladder spasms and problems - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms and problems Bladder spasms and problems

Unread 04-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Bladder spasms and problems

Thanks so much Kathleen. I will call my doctor. I know I shouldn't feel badly calling him, but since he's my neighbor (funny, I know) I hate to take advantage. I guess the fact that my surgery is helping pay for his home renovations should ease my guilt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Good. Let me know what happens.
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Bladder Spasms Update

I called my DR last weekend and got a prescription for an anti-spasm med. Here I am thinking that FINALLY relief is coming, but oh no! The Urisel did nothing. I went back today for my two week Post-Op appointment and my DR gave me samples of Vesicare and told me to take them until I saw him again for my 6-week Post-Op appointment. I went to the Vesicare website and they say that the drug should start working in approx. 2 weeks! This is madness.

I know that I shouldn't be complaining. I've had no pain from the surgery and my Pre-Op back problems have lessened after "giving birth" to the world's largest uterus (okay, maybe not THE largest!). However, since I did have my surgery primarily to correct stress incontinence, it's frustrating that I won't know if it worked until I stop singing "Gotta go, Gotta go, Gotta go right now!" with wincing pain added to the mix!

Does anyone else feel that the docs and nurses don't give you enough of a heads up about the bladder spasms or other common Post-Op problems? I know that it's impossible to warn us hyster gals about every possible Post-Op problem, but considering I've read on a couple of respected hospital sites that bladder spasms are the rule, not the exception, shouldn't the DR's office explain it a little better?! These days you have to be uber-prepared with every question you can think of! I thought I had done my research, but leave it to me to miss the one issue that I would have actually needed info. about!

BTW--Should I be worried that I'm starting to miss the catheter?

Becca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:26 PM

I had a hard time peeing and a lot of pain from the bladder spasms the nurse gave me peppermint oil to sniff and it really worked. Each time I inhaled the aroma I would pee (she just put some on a cotton ball for me to sniff). Great stuff, I highly recommend trying it!
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM

Hey lizziebennet,
I hope you are peeing today. Are you drinking cranberry juice? I wish I knew the name of that suppository I had. You could ask your doctor about it. I had a LAVH/BSO on the 28th and am doing well. I walk about 1/2 mile twice a day. I'll try more today - I'm sure I can go farther but I have nightmares about lying exhausted on the road about to be eaten by one of the alligators that lives in the pond I walk past. But enough about me.

I had NO idea I could have bladder problems as a result of the surgery. I knew I could have "infection, bleeding, etc." and signed off on that. The night I had the worst spasms, when the doctor called a urologist who said that the problem clears itself up in "90%' of cases, I remember thinking "what about the other 10%!!??

I did not have stress incontinence before the surgery, just nasty postmenopuasal bleeding. I am a young 61. My problem was not being able to go and when I did, I had spasms at the end. The catheter came out Saturday morning after surgery, went back in Saturday afternoon, came out, went back in again Saturday and came out for good Sunday morning. I would say it took a whole week to get the peeing thing back to normal. I think the problem is relaxing the muscles. I hope this helps. I'm here in Pawleys Island.
Unread 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Hey cypresslady & lunnonhaus,

Thank you so much for your support. I really needed it this morning.

Last night was the worst. I was getting up to pee about every hour and then, at 3:00 a.m., I had that awful painful sensation to pee when there was no pee to pee. That feeling lasted most of the morning. I also felt lousy yesterday and had a nagging sore throat. I chalked it up to good 'ole Atlanta allergies, but this morning I woke up and my sore throat was really bad.

The first call I made was to the Uro/Gyn about the pee pain and then I called my GP to make an appt about my throat. The Uro/Gyn put me on a really strong antibiotic--"Lev" something--and kept me on the Vesicare. I went to see the GP and she said that I had Strep. They also did a urine culture, and apparently, I have a pretty nasty urine infection. The GP decided to put me Amoxicillin for the Strep in addition to the Lev... I called the Uro/Gyn's office to have them make a note in my chart. They made no comment about the fact that they should have done a culture when I was there yesterday!

The Strep has wiped me out! I'm lying on the couch with my 7-year old sitting on my legs. Both my girls are bored, but I just can't do anything today. It's a total Mommy day.

My ordeal over the past 24 hours just reinforces the notion that we all have to take such an assertive approach to our own medical care. The Uro/Gyn's office should have done a urine culture while I was there yesterday. I was told by a couple of people I've talked to from their office that if my spasms didn't go away or ease up that they should do a urine culture. I completely forgot to ask about the culture yesterday because i left my notebook at home. Wouldn't you think that they would have ordered one without me having to be the one to ask? The Uro/Gyn's office is 30 minutes away and my two kids are on Spring Break this week. After I remembered about the culture, I didn't want to have to go back to the DR's office.

In a way the Strep was a lucky circumstance. I wouldn't have had the urine culture done at the GP's if I didn't go for the Strep. Ugh!!!

I'll let you all know how the antibiotics work. It feels like I take a ginormous amount of pills each day! Now I'm taking two antiobiotics, Motrin for the throat pain and spasms, Colasce for constipation, and this morning I took AZO because I was desperate to stop whatever it was that was causing me to have the "Phantom of the Pee" feeling. I also take a number of other medicines on a daily basis, so I feel like a pharmacy.
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:46 AM

You have small children? I feel SO sorry for you. I thought having two dogs was bad since I can't walk them. My kids are grown and send flowers and chocolate.

You are right about being responsible for your own health situation. Don't beat yourself up about not asking for a urine culture - remember, you are recovering from major surgery and are "drugged."

Are you drinking cranberry juice? It helps. Have you had your children tested for strep? You don't want to be passing it around and is so contagious. Possibly your pediatrician will prescribe prophylactic antibiotics over the phone out of pity (you deserve it) for your situation.

Can you sleep during the day? That's the best cure for strep. Can you arrange massively long playdates? Promise weeks of care in the summer - trade, you'll feel better then. If you can take a short walk every day, it will help to make you sleep more deeply.

I know the weather does't help. You have pollen and rain (mold spores) and it will be cold next week. My allergic daughter lives in Decatur so I hear these things. Just know that your cyberspace friends are thinking about you. Post a message and questions whenever.

Kathleen
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM

You're awesome, Kathleen. Thanks!
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM

I had a bladder repair done and I could NOT PEE to save my life after the cath came out, I had to have it back in and then the next day couldn't pee again, had to straight cath me UGH, finally an hr after that I could pee, but I am now a week a 1/2 post op and still takes me FOREVER to empty my bladder all the way, I have to hover just to get it out and bend forward, I can't push like I used to as there is a bit of pain, I still have massive spasams also
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM

it has been 2 weeks for me and i am still having spasms also . how much longer will this last??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register