increased risk? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

increased risk? increased risk?

Unread 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Question - increased risk? increased risk?

I had my TAH on feb 13th, my question is this. I heard (after the fact) that having a hysterectomy can increase your risk of getting breast cancer. Is this true? just wondering if I should be extra vigilent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
increased risk?

Hi,
We had our surgery on the same day..
I heard that a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries can decrease your risk. Although I don't know about a hyst. and keeping your ovaries.
There are some very knowledgeable ladies on this board that should be able to answer your question.

Cat
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
increased risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatCat
Hi,
We had our surgery on the same day..
I heard that a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries can decrease your risk. Although I don't know about a hyst. and keeping your ovaries.
There are some very knowledgeable ladies on this board that should be able to answer your question.

Cat
thanks Cat. I kept my ovaries. that is good news about the decreased risk. I hope it is the same for keeping ovaries as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
increased risk?

Since no one has spoken up with An Answer I'll throw this out: I seem to remember that keeping your ovaries just brings you back to 'normal'. The reduced risk after hyst. being mainly about the hormones, or lack there of, especially the estrogen.

Someone mentioned, in another thread here in breast health, a useful Web site. I don't know if this is the same site or not but I just loaded up www.breastcancer.org and they do have a section called Lower Your Risk (right hand end of the string of purple buttons that starts with Home on the left) that probably has some info. And I just learned something new from the top headline on their site: "Breast cancer vaccine may reduce risk of death". I didn't even know that a vaccine existed! (of course right below that is a link to an article titled "Estrogen therapy linked to benign breast disease")

With a family history (just tried to spell history as hystory - Freudian slip?) I try to at least keep aware of some of these things.
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
increased risk?

Thank you so much for your reply. I will look at the website you suggested. thanks again, and I already feel better about it.
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
increased risk?

Puppy Love,
Thank you for posting that link. I have saved it to read through.
I have a family history of breast cancer, and it looks like a really good resource.
My Gyn/Onc gave me a site that is also pretty good. it's www.wcn.org
There is a lot of good info there as well.

Cat
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
increased risk?

Thanks Cat - I took a quick look around wcn.org. Lots of info about a wide variety of "girl cancers".

Here's a funny one for you: I took their risk assessment and they said I have an average risk for endometrial cancer - I wonder how that would work, not having a uterus and all. I think my risk for ovarian cancer was slightly lower than normal - again, no ovaries!

(yeah, yeah, the endometriosis could be hiding out somewhere, waiting for me to start hrt at which point it will burst back in to life and some those cells could conceivably end up cancerous - just let me enjoy my little chuckle for the moment)
Unread 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
increased risk?

LOL! It told me the same thing, I have no uterus or ovaries as well..
I got a chuckle out of it myself.

Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register