is vag. or tummy better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is vag. or tummy better? is vag. or tummy better?

Unread 04-02-2008, 01:06 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

I heard that VAG is much easier recovery but, I'm nervous about epesiotomy, tears, vag wall damage, etc.
How much worse is recovery with going through the tummy? Would it be worth it if not required? Do I have any option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 06:19 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

From what I have heard the abdominal hysterectomy is a much longer recoop time (that is what I am having. About 6-8 weeks)

I know women who have had the vaginal one and went out picking mushrooms the next day. BUT, everyone heals differently.
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

Hi.. is there any chance your GYN does it laparoscopically? that's the easiest, from what I've read on these boards.
-Suz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 08:06 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

Your doctor will probably be the one to decide which type of surgery you need. I had my surgery done vaginally, and it might make you feel better to know that there was no cutting, tearing or damage anywhere near the outside of my vagina. I had stitches inside my vagina, way up high, but they dissolved on their own in about 4 weeks and according to my gyn, I healed nicely. As far as I can tell, my vaginal walls were not damaged. I had the laparascopically assisted surgery, and I was left with a tiny incision inside my navel that I've never seen, and two tiny incisions (each less than 1 in.) down very low on my abdomen. The navel incision hurt some, but the other two never bothered me at all. Mostly, I just felt bruised inside my abdomen for a week or two - I was feeling much better by the second week. My vagina was fine throughout - no pain or discomfort. I had pain pills, but only took them the first week - I still have some left at 5 months post-op.
I hope this helps some. Best of luck!

Take care,
Linda
LAVH/BSO on 10-22-07
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

Vag all the way! I had mine done on Jan. 29, 2008 (Tues.) and took my last pain pill that Friday! I had one small tear due to not having had kids and things were a little tight but the doc got it done. Once the stiches were gone I was SO glad I did it that way. IF you have a choice go with the vag if your doc thinks he can do it that way.

Kim
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

There are really many different considerations as to which surgery is best in your case.

I didn't have an option for vaginal surgery, for two reasons: I had never had a vaginal birth, and my uterus was tipped at an odd angle. This is why many women aren't good candidates for this procedure.

I didn't want an LSH because I had fibroids and I wanted nothing to do with the fibroids possibly growing back on my cervix, which they can.

That left a TAH for me. As it turned out, this was the only choice there was, because my uterus and bladder were severely adhered to each other, and it took the surgeons an hour to separate the organs. This couldn't have been done if they had attempted another type of procedure.

Neither vaginal nor abdominal is "better" in my opinion. It is true that (((sisters))) who have vaginal procedures often "feel" better sooner. However (and this is a big "however" ) this can lead to doing too much too soon because there's no incision to remind them that they just had major surgery.

The bottom line is that you need to go through all the different procedures with your doctor and see which is best for your case. Least invasive is easier to recover from, but it isn't always possible to proceed in that manner.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
is vag. or tummy better?

Speaking as a surgical tech of course I have seen TVH and TAH procedures. The type of surgery does depend on different factors I never had a child and my uterus was tipped . To be in the OR watching a TVH you might not like what you see, and for others they may feel thay way about TAH. Since I know the ends and outs of the surgery I knew what I wanted and my surgeon agreed. I'm not saying there is any thing wrong with having a vaginal hysterectomy but I am saying I would never have had one based on the procedure it's like working in the dark. What works for one may not work well for another. Now a LAVH is a different story I like that procedure better than an TVH.
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
is vag. or tummy better?

mine was done laparoscopically through the abdomen so i had a few tiny abdominal incisions and no vaginal. it was a very easy and quick recovery. do lots of research and speak to your dr about what kind of surgery you qualify for. good luck!
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks

Well, at pre-op today he said he'd do vag so I just said ok. I felt a little rushed and scatter brained. I had a tipped uterus from the beginning but was successful at having 3 kids (largest was 11 lbs with a 136% head) so I'm assuming the passageway should be fairly open.
Hopefully that will help it be better. I didn't even ask about laproscopy. duh. Oh well, I'm going to strut in on Friday and hope for the best...i think i can...i think i can...i think i can.
Unread 04-03-2008, 06:13 AM
is vag. or tummy better?

Liberty - You'll be fine!!! Everyone that visited me in the castle was amazed at how well I was walking by the next day. It WILL be ok. Your doc wouldn't have suggest a TVH if s/he wasn't comfortable doing it. You'll be much better off because of it. I had thoughts of asking my doc to do TAH because I was afraid I would do too much without the incision. I'm happy I didn't.

From a sister on the other side, stick with the TVH!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register