Why does my vagina look so weird after abdominal hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why does my vagina look so weird after abdominal hysterectomy? Why does my vagina look so weird after abdominal hysterectomy?

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Why does my vagina look "violated" after abdominal hysterectomy? Someone has to know?

My dear one got a good look at my vagina, and asked, "What's wrong with it?" I had no idea what he was talking about, as I hadn't bothered looking past my 6 1/2 inch incision. But after grabbing a mirror.......I've got to know. What happened? It looks like they shoved a gallon jar up there and left it for the 3 hour surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Why does my vagina look so weird after abdominal hysterectomy?

I described mine as the "Grand Canyon" after my TVH in January. I think I can explain mine away more easily than yours.

This might be an interesting thread.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM

i felt like i was walking around with a barral stuck in it for hrs. and somebody forgot to remove it on time. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM

I just look like i have a huge puffy muffy! I was puffy before and very selfconcious, and I am really hoping it won't look like this for the summer or I won't be at the beach with my bikini bottoms on. Shorts or a skirt. I didn't let my hubby look down there. Just at the incision. I didn't want to scare him too much!hehe. The incision is bad enough for me. But I felt like what the heck did they do to me! My vijayjay and bum were sore! hmmm.
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Not to worry, ladies, the swelling of the labia WILL go down soon enough.

When I noticed my swelling in the hospital (I had a small mirror for plucking my eyebrows - ok, I'm just a *bit* vain haha), I asked the nurses if it was normal and they acted like they'd never seen it before (maybe nobody was brave enough to show them??)...so I kept joking that I might join the circus as the freak woman with testicles.
Unread 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe?????????

I went Google, and Yahoo Answers Ninja.......finally came up with a 'most likely cause'.
I retained my cervix, which the doctor assured me he scrubbed and did his best, to kill the inner lining of it so I wouldn't have any bleeding. (There's enough uterus-like material in there to contribute to a little monthly bleeding if it's not destroyed.) Anyway, I had assumed this was done from the inside---after my uterus was removed. Obviously not the case. It was done vaginally, and I suppose they had a very large "hold that vagina open really big and out of the way" tool in there so he could work on the cervical lining.
Thank you for making me feel so much better. I still feel like a freak,but at least I know I'm in good company and it's not permanent, but the company is.
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Even with abdominal most of the time they use a Uterine Manipulator and it has a cup that fits over the cervix, it is inserted vaginally into the uterus and the position of the uterus can then be manipulated for the surgeon.
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:45 PM

I am afraid to look at my vagina. I never, ever should have clicked on this thread!
Unread 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Oh my gosh, that's how I feel too! But appreciate hearing that I am not the only one experiencing that "stretched out" feeling.

4 weeks out with TAH...
Unread 04-02-2008, 04:42 PM

wow I so didn't relieze they did that! I think my Doc should explain a little more of what really happens in the O.R. So they do almost beat you!kidding. It just feels like it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register