Anyone else getting TONS of unwanted advice and stern talkings to? lol | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else getting TONS of unwanted advice and stern talkings to? lol Anyone else getting TONS of unwanted advice and stern talkings to? lol

Unread 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Anyone else getting TONS of unwanted advice and stern talkings to? lol

As I grow closer to surgery, everyone around me has felt the need to chime in with advice...and the majority are also chiming in with "You BETTER not do more than the doctor says. I mean it! He says rest, you rest. No lifting, you don't lift!"

I love my family and friends....but it's kinda starting to irk me a tad. I know I can't do certain things afterwards and don't plan on it.

My husband's grandmother seems to be the worst hehehe. God love her. She grabbed me by the arm and said "Now you listen here. You are stubborn. I know. But listen to me when I say do nothing for 2 months! If I have to come over there and make you do nothing, I will."

My Dad is doing the same thing. I do the A/V at church, which requires walking up a lot of stairs. He has me training someone now to do my job, and doesn't want me walking up steps for 2 months. TWO months.

*sigh* I guess I should be thankful there are so many (over)protective people in my life. But, I have a feeling it's gonna get tiring after surgery.

In other news, I now have pre-op scheduled. I go in April 8th at 9am. I can't believe things are happening so fast. Seems like yesterday I was counting down from 8 weeks. Now I have 13 days. wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Look at it this way...see how much you are loved and cared for by those around you.

While bothersome and irksome...it really is a blessing!

Unread 04-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Oh I get advice .. both helpful and not.. I had someone bring me a book and put sticky tabs on parts that I "should" read(all because she thought without any of my medical background that this surgery couls be avoided) . I smiled politely , tookthe book and returned it 2 days later.. she doesn't know I didn't read it..hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM

I have decided to tell very few people about my surgery simply because I don't want unsolicited advice. Only family and very close friends even know. Just smile and say thank you. They mean well.
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM

I got lots of "Don't let them take your ueterus!!"

People seemed to feel quite free to tell me how there are too many hysterectomies nowadays, and without knowing ANYTHING about my medical history, they would tell me not to have it done.
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm not getting so much hysterectomy advice yet, but I'm really sick of hearing "you've got to keep a positive attitude" because of my cancer. Give me a break! I'm the one who is constantly telling everyone that my odds are really good, I'm the one who makes all the jokes*, and I'm the one who is telling people to stop crying because I haven't even cried yet!

I guess I just have to be more positive.

*My latest favorite is to use it as an excuse for any absurd thing under the sun, like "you have to let me have that last slice of pizza because I have cancer." OK, maybe it's only funny to me.
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Take heed......you sound like a type A (given what grandma said). And even though you KNOW you aren't supposed to do things afterwards, you'll really feel like it. (Especially if you're given good pain meds.)

This advice is most likely from women with first hand experience.....or stories from friends of theirs who didn't quite follow directions themselves.
People try to prevent pain and complications for those they love (and aren't you lucky!!!) and don't want to see them make the same mistakes.

Case in point: I was very "loved" myself. Threats, warnings, harsh words. But when the water heater started leaking I "felt" like I could handle vacuuming the water off the floor. (8 days post-op) I didn't plan on it. I thought I had sent WonderWoman/SuperMom on a two month vacation. But before I knew it.....there she was on her knees, vacuum in one hand, belly in the other. It wasn't painful or uncomfortable at the time so I continued. I had my lunch, watched some TV, took a nap, but five hours later, however......my recent ability to stand upright had vanished and the pain appeared.

As for the stairs.....it's a work-out (thus the stair master) and you DO NOT need to be working out for two months!! (Good call Dad.)

Chances are you'll do something you "don't plan on" and have your own story to tell. But concern makes us try to keep you safe. And we pray you're one of the type A's that will be able to deny your nature. Which isn't easy, even when you know.

Best of wishes, and don't stress over the nervousness you feel as the day draws closer, that's normal, too
Unread 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaan
I have decided to tell very few people about my surgery simply because I don't want unsolicited advice. Only family and very close friends even know. Just smile and say thank you. They mean well.
You totally sound like me. The fewer people that know - the fewer people to practice their unearned medical degree on me.

I told some very close friends and family - who all understood that I was in good hands because I was in GOD's Hands. They wished me well - for me - and those that had walked this road before told me the funniest stories.

pcc78 and TechWriter
I would say, don't let it get to you, but I know it would have gotten to me. So, I'll do the next best thing and that is to for you. I am asking GOD to give you patience to endure all that is to come and to guide the hands, minds, and hearts of all those associated with your surgery and recovery.

Blessings on you ...

And TechWiter - I have a twisted sense of humor. I am sitting in my office
Unread 04-03-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your prayers, Reneé, and back atcha for your continued recovery.

Honestly, I'm more aprehensive about the surgery than I am about the cancer. The type that I have is very curable for most women. Besides, I'm only 52 (a mere youngster), and in pretty good health (oh, oops, except for having cancer...haha) so you just know I'm gonna kick cancer's patoot!
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc78
My Dad is doing the same thing. I do the A/V at church, which requires walking up a lot of stairs. He has me training someone now to do my job, and doesn't want me walking up steps for 2 months. TWO months.
pcc - I really depends on the type of surgery you are having. I haven't had any real problems with stairs. I wasn't given any restrictions about them at all. My doc told me I could go back to the gym and gently start working out again on the treadmill or elliptical after two weeks. My doc was FANTASTIC. He told me I am going to have days where I feel great and I will probably do too much and I will pay for it the next day and not be able to do much of anything. And he's been right.

All this to say, hang in there, be thankful that you are so loved, and listen to your doc and your body most of all!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register