No sleep, cold/hot! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No sleep, cold/hot! No sleep, cold/hot!

Unread 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
No sleep, cold/hot!

Had TAH/BSO 3-10, recovery good however I just can't seem to sleep. I go to bed and think tonight is the night to sleep and an hour or so later I am wide awake. DH thinks it is him and I keep telling him it is not. What have you all done to get sleep?
Also I found that I am cold alot. NEVER have I ever been a cold person. I could be snowing out and I would want a window open and always have a fan for sleeping. Since 3-10 I find that during the day when one would be warmer I am cool to cold, having to wear a jacket (it's in the upper 70's and low 80's here) and at night the air is set low and I find that I am warm. Doc started me on HRT right out and seemed to be ok the first two weeks but now, wow. I have my check up on the 10th so I will ask him then about the HRT not working but thought I would get input from everyone here.
Dolphingal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 02:36 AM
No sleep, cold/hot!

I would say you need an adjustment.. I am not on HRT because of the cancer but from what I have read, sometimes it takes a while to find just the right amount of hormone therapy for each person... It may be that you don't need it... or just a very low dose.... Best to you on your check up
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
No sleep, cold/hot!

What HRT are you on?
I went through a couple adjustments. I was so terribly uncomfortable I didn't wait for my check up dates. You can always call and see if they can fit you in before the 10th or make an adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 11:51 AM
No sleep, cold/hot!

I went through the first month being cold when i was always hot before. That has since changed and now I am hot all the time again. I don't know which is worse.

At first I slept all the time then that slacked off. Working 10 hour days 6 days a week has help with sleeping. HAHAHAHA
Unread 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
hot and cold....not sleeping

Just my .2 speaking from about 7 months post-op.....I was always freezing cold all of the time prior to the hysterectomy. Now, I'm pretty stable and not as cold during the day. No hot flashes or craziness like that. No HRT for me. A low-dose anti-depressant and an occasional Vagifem supplement is all.

Nighttime is a totally different story! I get hot, then cold and go back and forth all night long. I don't sleep as well as I did prior to surgery, either. Sometimes I take some Melatonin about an hour before bedtime and that helps. Maybe some Sleepytime Tea as well. Warm baths at night help to relax and get your body ready for rest, too.

I use a light-weight cotton blanket over my sheet and only use the comforter as needed thru the night. This has worked pretty well and I've just gotten used to the hot/cold routine. It's far better than the humongous migraine and fibroid issue I did have.
Unread 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
No sleep, cold/hot!

I have just learned to deal with it. Sad to say, but I keep tee shirts and long sleeve shrits always available so that I can get relief either way. One time I am hot the next cold. I have bad night sweats. All I take for this is soy lecitin and black cohosh. I do get some relief, but not much. I just had to find a routien that was good for me. Hope that you get relief soon.
April 12 will be my first year anniversary for hysterectomy.
Reeses cup
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
No sleep, cold/hot!

Well, I did the Ovaltine last night and that really did not work, so tonight I am on to Sleepy Time tea. I did finally get some sleep last night but it took forever for me to get there. yesterday was not a great day. Took a little nap today and fell lots better.
The hrt I am taking is Menest 0.3 mg. I go to the doc on Monday so I will see what his thoughts are on all this. My dh said I should tell him I need so relief, I sugguested that perhaps dh needed to tell doc he needs some relief! No problems with mood swings just not sleeping and this new being cold (this is not me!) and then hot (that is me!).
Thanks for all the information and wishing all better recovery each day.
Unread 04-05-2008, 03:13 PM
No sleep, cold/hot!

Ask him about black cohosh therpy. I too am not getting sleep as much as I need. My doc prescribed ambien, but this can not be taken long term. I had a bad night last night changing shirts twice, but I am in the South and it is 80 degrees here. My family is suffering because I need the air even when it is freezing--according to them. The sleepy time tea works for me when I have a cold, but I don't like the taste of the sienna. The best thing for me to help me rest is a hot bath in aroma therpy from bath and body.

Hope you get lots of rest lately.

Reeses Cup
Unread 04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
No sleep, cold/hot!

I understand the family suffering. My dh is just looking at me and shaking his head. Never has he ever seen me in a jacket during the day when the temps are up above 75. Last night I got to sleep at 4 am and woke up at 6 am. Thank goodness I fell back to sleep and woke up at 11 am. DH just didn't have the heart to wake me. I tried the sleepy time tea and got huge tummy cramps so that is out. My dr appt. is in the morning and I have my list ready for him. We shell see is sleep comes tonight.
Thanks for all your advise.
Dolphingal
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM
No sleep, cold/hot!

Hi all...I'm 6 wks post op from TAH/BSO and am finding that I'm colder than I should be during the day and warm at night. My hands and feet are always cold. Could this be a thyroid issue? I'll have to have that checked. I had a really hard time sleeping right after surgery, alot of nightsweats. I think it had alot to do with all the anaesthetic and pain killers. Sleep is better now, so hang in there!! I'm not on HRT, my gyn wants to wait and see how severe the symptoms get. I'm going to try my best to approach this naturally with black cohosh, B vit, flax oil....so far so good. I don't take any sleeping pills or over-the-counter sleep aids....had a bad experience with all that a few years ago. They simply don't work...they make the insomnia worse in the long run. I hope this is helpful!

Have a great day!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register