Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

Unread 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

How long till you were able to start moving cases of Pinot, building displays, and tasting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:58 AM

First off, please know that I don't see ANY reason for you to be treated that way. There is no excuse for her rudeness.

That said, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? Is it possible that maybe she freaked out that her brother wouldn't be able to have children and reacted in a very rude and childish manner?

Thank goodness I have not had anything but positive reactions. If I had, I don't think I would have handled them so nicely. It is hard enough dealing with the ups and downs of recovery without ignorant/insensitive people adding to them.

Did you talk to your boyfriend about it? If so, what did he have to say?

From the number of us out here having had hysterectomies, if you have leprosy it must be an epidemic. We will RULE the world!!!

Theresa
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:21 AM

I am 40, my boyfriend's sister is 45 and she has 4 children.
My boyfriend was previously married and already has a son, so I don't think that my loss of childbearing would cause such horror....

I wonder if it is just another example of the anti-hysterectomy sentiment that is out there. I did get horrified reactions to my planned surgery where people tried to tell me how to "save" my uterus!

Or maybe it's just not polite to discuss such things as LADY PARTS in public (but it's perfectly ok for my boyfriend's Dad to tell us all in detail about his knee replacement- while at the dinner table!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 06:31 AM

I guess maybe there are still some old farts out there who think "these things" shouldn't be discussed in public. What is the big deal? It's not like we have/had some alien parts or something. HELLO. If you are female, these are natural.

I agree with the other posts. She MUST be jealous. Most women that I talk to about my surgery wish they could have it done so that they don't have to worry about periods anymore. Of course if all we had to worry about were NORMAL periods and not ridiculously heavy/long bleeding and WAY TOO MUCH PAIN, we probably wouldn't have had it done ourselves! As for trying to keep your uterus, what the freak for? The way I figured it, was that I was done with it and it was causing me more problems than it was worth. I think the more important thing to try to keep is your ovaries. I am so thankful that I was able to keep mine. I would hate to have the hormonal issues that come along with their removal at the ripe old age of 33.

I hope I did not offend you with my earlier post. I guess I just have the tendency to try and find the good in people. I must face up to the fact that some people are just plain RUDE!!!
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:37 AM

pardon my fench but "screw her",that was so rude of her,so lacking in empathy and concern for you,what you were seeing is purely an expression of who she is and says nothing about you,karma wil find it's way back to her,i am so sorry you had to go through that...she's just another mean girl !
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM

No offense taken! It just seemed so funny to me because his sister and I have always "hit it off" and at family gatherings usually we sit and chat together about everything, so I really was thrown off. Even acquiantances at my grad school are more concerned and bring me cushy chairs to sit on and ask how I am feeling...
Anyway, I will never ask her directly about her reaction, that would rude on my part and put her in an awkward position.
And I wouldn't bother mentioning to my BF: being a guy he wouldn't undertsand WHY the response offended me.
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:44 AM

I had some weird reactions, too. And these were from women in their late 40's. Maybe they were worried they'd "catch" something. One friend seemed very uncomfortable around me after I told her. I guess she thought it should be kept private. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten the same reaction if I had said I was having my knee replaced or gallbladder surgery. But the strangest comment I got was from a friend who said "I didn't know they still did those."
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Here's another spin on this: There was once upon a time in the past when I heard if someone had a hysterectomy, my reaction would be of shock and sadness. The way I saw it, without really knowing what the full situation was, here's a woman who's losing, in a sense, the very essence of her identity. I couldn't at the time understand why she would be willing to give up her uterus! I think this mindset was passed on by my own mother who also saw hysterectomies as something that was "forbidden" to be discussed because of the inherent intimate nature of this procedure.

It's possible that this person who reacted this way didn't really know how to react because in her mind, having this surgery is kinda shocking and sad. The only thing we could do as women on this side of the operation is to educate and help them understand the circumstances as to why this surgery is not only necessary, but life-saving. It can be bothersome and a bit annoying to receive a reaction such as this, but be patient and forgiving towards them...they may not know any better.
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
People are strange....

I've gotten both positive & negative reactions when people find out I've had my surgery. The bottom-line is how you handle it. A quick sense of humor goes a long way when dealing with people.

Don't let them bring you down. You know you made the right decision for you.

TAH, BSO on 3/11/08 for endo & adeno.
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:34 AM

TunaCat - Reactions to my hysterectomy have been at first sad and consoling, but then when they realize I'm not sad about it, they start raving about not having periods, and not having to buy sanitary products and such. I agree with the other post that your BF's sister, just may not know how to react because of her own beliefs and upbringing regarding hysterectomy surgery. I wouldn't wish this on any woman, but if she had to deal with the heavy bleeding, excessively painful periods, and other complications that could be alleviated by a hysterectomy, she would change her tune quickly. The saying "Walk a mile in my shoes" applies here.

Just pray for her!

I tell ya!... having the surgery is like burning my Bra! I wish I could remember the song in the movie "Working Girl" (Melanie Griffith) when she finally makes it to the top of the ladder and get that corner office and wins the affections of Harrison Ford from Sogourney Weaver. It goes something like "Let the rivers run..hmm hmm hmm hmm...hmm hmmm. I forget the words, but I here the music in my head.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register