Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY? Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Excuse me, do I have LEPROSY?

Hugs to you 2 who have no support from those immature people! grrr. I have found, like today, I mention surgury and I had people running to help me in stores! amazing! Some people are just to self absorbed and don't want anyone taking thier sunshine! Well, we will have sunshine everyday for the rest of our lives even when they have thier thunderstorms!hehehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 06:43 PM

I have to say that I really didn't fully understand about hysterectomies until I had to have one and did all my research. I did not know why they were done and what all the different reasons were for having them done. I do believe that, in general, there is a stigma around my area that you do not talk about hysterectomies in most situations because men don't want to hear about women's body parts. I have found that when women are together they openly discuss their hysterectomies and most have said it's a decision they have never once regretted. Personally, my DH is thrilled that I have had mine done and says it's one last thing to get in the way of what we want to do at this point in our lives. I truly believe the negative reaction is one of ignorance and our patriarchal society. I think the best approach is to help those who don't understand but want to. Knowledge is the best gift you can give anyone. Good luck girls!
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM

I had a similar reaction from my hairdresser....but then again he is male....and a straight male, at that. However, after creeping to his chair, to the dryer, to the shampoo bowl, and back to his chair with my trusty pillow in hand...he started opening up. Maybe even a little too much.....he started asking about stitches. I told him, yeah......I'm a quilt down there! Next thing I know he's telling me about picking stitches out of his hand and how weird it was and how he thought it was neat to pull them out when the skin was just a little grown over ther.....what a weirdo......anyhow.....my poor little va-jay-jay and hiney area were throbbing just thinking about the idea of picking the stitches out! Ugh.....

Anyhow.....I haven't been around a lot of people yet but when people ask what exactly are we supposed to say??? Geesh......if people freak out when I tell them I had a hysterectomy, what would they say about an "overlapping anal sphincteroplasty"?????

I think I'll just say I had my appendix out. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Denise, that is so true!
That's why you come here, where aching vaginas, malfunctioning bladders, and anal fissures are par for the course!
(not that I would have gone into detail about my personalmedical problems with my BF's sister, but she might have at least asked, " How are you feeling?"
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:41 AM

I have had people ask and I just tell them "Oh it was just a little hysterectomy, Nothing big" Their mouths fall open and then I kind of giggle and say its okay, I am healing well. Just cannot lift anything. Then come the warm smiles and they slow down on their walking. I don't know why, but I cannot keep things serious. I guess I was around too many people who just whinned and were unhappy and made others sad after running into them, Everyine needs a smile and a giggle. (I do know when not to joke though)
maybe they just will loook up on the internet what a hyst is. I guess maybe they don't want to look, I don't know unknowledgeable, in front of you. There are a few times when I would find out some personal medical issue and not have a clue what it is and have to look it up, then I could talk to that person about it easier.
It is hard to say why people react the way they do, But we still love em!! They will come back around once the smell of the hospital is gone! Thats IT! ITS the hospital smell!!
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:18 PM

this made me laugh so much my own stitches shook,i had very similar procedures and i love how you described it as being like a quilt down there ! you go girl !
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Magic
LOL!

My hyster was the best thing that happened to me! Had I known then what I know now, I would have asked to keep my cervix.

I just feel I belong to a special band of girlies who belong to a special club, and I tell everyone about my hyster as much as I ask people to admire the botox in my face!

I paid a price for both things and want everyone to know about it!

xx
May I ask why you would have kept your cervix ? TAH and missin' it all

thanks
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:00 AM

Hi

Well, I did not know it was an option for one! The lady opposite me in the hospital said she was keeping hers as she enjoyed her sex life!

Which leaves me wondering about the before and after with my own sex life!

But mines gone, and there's not a lot I can do about it now.

Blue Magic
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM

oh ok I understand...I wish I had taken more time to look at the whole picture. I enjoyed sex and knew that it took all of my parts to make it happen fantastically. I feel there was too much that was never talked about. I was told what she would be removing the cervix. I have a lot of issues having gone through what I did, the way I did. Stunned by the word cancer in an all too busy time of my life.. practical thinking would have made me look at different things before taking the ultimate irreversible jump.

And while I am taking the blame of not having taken the time to become truly informed, I can't help but feel that this is letting the medical establishment off the hook all too easily. Since I am in a customer service environment and have to provide people with a great amount of info I feel let down by the professionals who provided none. And when told about symptoms of concern are simply told ...oh that is normal. As some teachers are knowledgeable but simply cannot teach.. this is how I feel.

Sorry for dragging on...

Life goes on and I must too! So, God be with you and take care my friend Enjoy your day
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:36 AM

I know what you mean, it happened to me also. I was telling a fellow teacher about it. She is very snotty, not married, no kids, but is, of course, an "expert" on everything. She acted totally freaked out and got this attitude that stuff like that will never happen to her! She is getting married this summer and they want to start a family right away. She is 36. She also thinks that they will have "perfect" children because they know so much! HAH Just wait. She has no idea what childbirth can do to a body, and she will be no exception! And as for having perfect children and knowing how to raise them so they don't have all the "problems" our students have, HAH again.
Hang in there and ignore her ignorance and attitude.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register